Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 36370 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 09:08:08 am »
Upkeep was increased because there is now a way to influence it with personal skill, thus resulting in a higher multiplicator for better players.

Also, we wanted to see lower priced equipment in general.

Good players adapt, weak players lobby.  :wink:

edit:Gold is one of many variables in items. Many items are better than what they cost, but the overall stats are weaker. Which is interesting.

chadz...the system is a fail if everyone who was here pre-upkeep has loads of gold. The market place also takes away from it.

Considering the amount of people who are complaining about upkeep I.E. EVERYONE in servers, there is something wrong with it. Try and admit this rather than come up with some bull crap answer. You're system of personal skill affecting it obviously doesn't work. Either that or release full details of it so we can see exactly how it does work. I know wpf is supposed to effect it, but it hardly does. I have max wpf in my bow and that still costs a shit ton.

Simply put, there was no need to raise upkeep. It was at a good level before and no one had any complaints with it as far as I could see from the forums. Now practically everyone you speak to is moaning about it. There was no need to fix it when there was nothing wrong in the first place. Revert everything upkeep related back to how it was pre-patch and people will be happy. That means costs of items, break ability chance, upkeep costs ect.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:16:01 am by Overdriven »

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Awesomeasaurus
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:18 am »
+1
"Armor does not reflect a player's choice in playing styles, but rather his or her desire to not die quickly. Instead of balancing armor with upkeep, which is unfair to newer players who don't grind constantly, might not armor be balanced as things should normally be balanced: with its stats? Light armor people go fast, heavy armor people go slow. Maybe add wpf penalties."

I also agree with Diggles.

I made a post in the Game Balance Discussion which was promptly ignored but the premise was that upkeep/cost shouldn't be a main balancing factor for currently expensive items (ie black armor/heavy horses) but instead balance these items by drawbacks of their use suck as lowered WPF or run speed. Sacrificing offensive capabilities for defensive ones.

Also, I find that this upkeep system may favor play styles that do not require heavy armor or expensive weapons due to the costs associated. A lean archer will glean low upkeep costs if they do not carry around 3 bodkins and only wear light armor while a polearm/2h/shielder may not have the luxury of decreasing their equipment usage to promote their income.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 09:15:03 am »
+1
Also, I find that this upkeep system may favor play styles that do not require heavy armor or expensive weapons due to the costs associated. A lean archer will glean low upkeep costs if they do not carry around 3 bodkins and only wear light armor while a polearm/2h/shielder may not have the luxury of decreasing their equipment usage to promote their income.

Except all the arrows except normal arrows have high prices. With the breakability, a ton of archers have switched to using straight arrows now. Which struggle to do any damage to armour sometimes. Honestly, I think we are all in the same boat at the moment. Upkeep cost is ridiculous for everyone and many people are complaining about losing tons of gold on only average equipment. That was only meant to happen on the best equipment.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:56 am »
+2
That was only meant to happen on the best equipment.

Why do people keep repeating that? Where do you have that from?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:17 am »
+2
Why do people keep repeating that? Where do you have that from?

So you actually want people to constantly be running around in only the very lightest gear?

Should probably change your description of crpg then to exclude the note about customisable characters and equipment selection.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:53 am »
+2
I think the upkeep was good pre patch but now it is even better tbh.
It adds more diversity, challange and fun. It wouldn't be much fun for a low damaging archer with only tincans to shot at, would it?
Now there is an opponent to fight for everyone.

For most classes it is not possible to play with the most expensive equipment every round.
You need to choose different armour and weapons depending on your multiplier... it is not hard at all.
You can also just save up by playing as a peasant for some hours... or by by making good trades at the market.
Later on you can wear your most expensive equipment every round.

Playing as a peasant is pretty fun if you ask me. You have to play smarter to be successful which makes it more challenging.
And you can always pick up good weapons and later just drop them to avoid upkeep.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:36:20 am by Riddaren »

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 10:15:17 am »
+2
I use 29k equipments atm. (Including a medium heavy body armor + Mail Gautlets) I can manage the upkeep just fine. Sometimes when its a 5-6 rounds of x1 i lose money abit but overall i can still manage to earn a very small profit.

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
+5
Sell 1 heirloom, use your black armor untill you retire again to sell another heirloom. profit.

and stop crying.

Offline Mithus

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 11:38:35 am »
+1
this upkeep can be very unfair to new players, with autobalance putting clan players together, sometimes I keep x1 for 1 or even 2 hours, ocasionally get a x2, but with that you cannot use any armor and you are forced to use a weapon with no more than 4k gold cost.

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »
+1
this upkeep can be very unfair to new players, with autobalance putting clan players together, sometimes I keep x1 for 1 or even 2 hours, ocasionally get a x2, but with that you cannot use any armor and you are forced to use a weapon with no more than 4k gold cost.

sometime even when there r only 10 shogunates on the sever, we still wont get all team balanced into 1 team.
Its really confusing, seems that although they put 60% of the clan members in 1 team there are still a few clan members left out.

Offline Hotpokka

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »
+1
It adds more diversity
Half the team runs around naked, the other half wear light to medium armour and one guy is in plated as he has hundreds of thousands saved up.
Upkeep should be eliminated (except for horses as it makes sense, though it should still be far lower) and speed penalties should be raised.

Offline sedericus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Feelin' Fine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dude
  • Game nicks: Sedericus
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 12:17:07 pm »
+1
I've just started playng c-rpg again and ive not managed to get above 2-3k so i can't even afford to buy better gear. also reduce the price of repairing damn arrows! 354g x2 every other round is soul destroying.
We’ve got to learn to love our neighbours, before our neighbours start scaring the love out of us

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1651
  • Infamy: 629
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:46 pm »
+1
Hay for horses!

I'm all for upkeep removal. What I would like to see is link between regular c-rpg and strategus where you would have to own some land with grass on top of it, to be able to gather hay. Also, who ever saw some lowlife bandit having armored horse, that's for knights. And to be knight you have to be lord, to be lord means you have your own land. Same goes for metal armors and weapons (blacksmithy required), rags and leather for commoners.

In order to be archer you'll have to be part of some bandit crew which owns a Bandit Den in forest/mountain or to be part of militia (stationed in castle). Same for xbowmy old friends.

Throwers - commeners throwing only stone and cheap axes, ninjas and militia everything else.

We need feudalism in this mod, seriously!

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »
+1
hmm, i dunno, i like the general idea of upkeep. It does feel a little high, but its manageable. What would be cool if a person overall wealth played into repair costs. This means that players with 1 mil gold pay more for repairs than people with 10k gold. A sort of tax on the rich if you will.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Hotpokka

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »
+2
hmm, i dunno, i like the general idea of upkeep. It does feel a little high, but its manageable. What would be cool if a person overall wealth played into repair costs. This means that players with 1 mil gold pay more for repairs than people with 10k gold. A sort of tax on the rich if you will.
Wouldn't that just make wealth useless?
And it's unfair to punish someone because they have played longer and have been more fiscally responsible, this is coming from someone with 10k saved up too.