Poll

Shield skill should be Strength based.

Yes
30 (31.3%)
No
66 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Shield skill should be Strength based  (Read 2823 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Shield skill should be Strength based
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:51 pm »
+4
I needed a good laugh this morning and this suggestion was it.

While you're at it, why don't we just remove agi entirely? I mean, if I have really strong legs, I could probably run faster too. Or if I had really strong arms, I could probably swing my weapon faster. Your idea fails on so many levels.

Also as everyone above has stated, it would make strength builds - who are currently too good - even better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Skurcey

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 25
    • View Profile
  • Faction: =BoB=
  • Game nicks: BoB_Skurcey
  • IRC nick: Skurcey
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 12:51:35 pm »

While you're at it, why don't we just remove agi entirely? I mean, if I have really strong legs, I could probably run faster too. Or if I had really strong arms, I could probably swing my weapon faster. Your idea fails on so many levels.

Also as everyone above has stated, it would make strength builds - who are currently too good - even better.

Yeah, it s true. Specially with WPP cap. I think also that at the begining,  mount and blade wasnt designed with multiplayer and balance in mind...
=BoB= Only the petals of fire will give me peace ***
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:47 pm »
Nothing strange about the suggestion, coming from a guy with a char named: NASTY_TURTLE.........  :wink:

Yeah one of my FIVE chars is a shielder, screw you.

it's the only way to keep shielders at reasonable hitpoints.

i say no for your selfish idea.

Projection. I don't think the same way you do.

Don't be a condescending piece of shit.

Yeah actually, I've considered this already. Agility is basically redundant.

All of you are stuck in little mental boxes "How will it affect balance RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW???!@?!?!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:05:51 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:25 pm »
You really don't see the problem with this suggestion? I'm being serious.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 04:20:00 pm »
+2
Wow, the stupidity level of ArchonAlarion is through the fucking roof, might want to go check for any brain cancer unless you're just naturally fucking retarded and autistic as fuck.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »
Really man?

I almost cannot believe that anyone could argue against this.

I almost cannot believe that anyone make this suggestion...

For many reasons, but first is what said Marathon, uber build.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »
Marathon, why did you vote +1 on his Open Topic?  :shock:
Is it reverse psychology ?

Anyway, a big -1. This is just.... putting this  in Suggestion and not in Spam should even deserve you a little muted for a while.  :rolleyes:
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:43 pm »
+1
All of you are stuck in little mental boxes "How will it affect balance RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW???!@?!?!"

Well... of course....

Are you not concerned with how it will effect Game Balance Right Now? Game Balance is rather important to me.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »
Wow, the stupidity level of ArchonAlarion is through the fucking roof, might want to go check for any brain cancer unless you're just naturally fucking retarded and autistic as fuck.

Anything else you want to add to the discussion, Patty? Maybe some ideas or thoughts?

Yeah guys, I get that for the current balance situation this change would allow an overpowered build. I get it. I got it before I posted this thread.

The thing is, I don't care because I'm looking at the issue as if I was starting the game from scratch. Remember that this game is supposed to be in Beta. The benefits from shield skill could be reduced, or something similar.

The major issue I had with shields here is not really the skill itself being based on agility or strength, but the difficulty of shields being based on the shield skill, which is based on agility. I'm fine with the skill being based on agility I guess, but would prefer shields to be done like melee weapons in terms of difficulty being based on strength.

Like I said, all you guys ever care about in this god awful board is the current balance situation and you throw ad hominems around like confetti. I have no personal stake in shields, I just thought it would make the game more consistent, but thanks for all the insults and attacks on my intelligence.

If shields were based on strength from the beginning none of you would have complained, you'd have just gone along with it.

i guess I'll just repost this thread in a few months when agility builds are OP, so maybe I'll get some support. Balance is always changing everytime you add or change a feature. If you think balance cannot recover from this change in shields, fine, please explain why. I am open to counter-arguments, but now I'm pretty pissed and butthurt that everyone is hating on me for what i thought was a worthwhile suggestion.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:20:24 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 05:56:45 pm »
+1
Yeah we would be complaining from the beginning. Already we have people complaining right now that AGIL is under powered and is not as important as a STR build (look at the skill required to do well with a 12/24 as opposed to a 24/12 build).

Our problem is that your suggestion would make the game unbalanced, and thus we are expecting you to include something that would re-balance it (which you did not).

If you create a balance problem with a suggestion, it is expected that you also include a solution to that balance problem.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »
Yeah you are right, I should have done that from the beginning. Unfortunately, the other changes I'd want are pervasive and affect so many aspects of the game that i doubt I'll get any agreement on them.

The issue with shields being strength based is that it makes a high strength shielder build very powerful, okay. Making shields agility based forces shielders to divert points away from strength to prevent that happening. It's a shabby fix that doesn't make sense consistency-wise, but is effective for the current situation.

To rework this, each additional strength would have to give a smaller stat boost than the last, or the progression could remain linear with a decreased slope. This should probably be implemented anyways if strength really is OP.

Another fix, which I'd like to see with or without the shield change, would be if turning speed was agility based (I believe it is not). This would make it easier to get behind slow shielders and would make agility more worthwhile. Backpeddling should be slower too, making agility chars that much better.

In some ideal game, I'd imagine that mouse movement side to side would have a slight lag to turn the char, so your chars arms and head would move before their bodies would turn. You'd have to push the mouse a bit more persistently to turn the char.

*edit: I want to state again that in no way am I pushing this because of personal build preferences. One of my alts is a dedicated shielder, but so what? I actually prefer polearms anyways and am generally an agility whore because I like to zoom across the battlefield like a nut.

I'm a fanatical devotee of realism and consistency and would throw my favorite builds to the flames with scary maniacal glee if I thought it was better for the game.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:09:40 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Bromagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 06:56:54 pm »
+1 .. I want to be pure strength 1h!!!!!!!! currently I can only afford to be 25/12
"A pint of ale will make your nipples stale"- Brogg

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 01:41:35 am »
Take a lap, Archon
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:40 am »
Any AUS players remember DIMOS before shields were agil based. Plate, steel shield, 33 str or more elite scim. All this before upkeep and with native stats. He was unstoppable and effectively unbreakable being l maybe level 45.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline D_the_Barbarian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
    • View Profile
    • I have no website
  • Faction: none
  • Game nicks: D_the_Barbarian and Millions of alts like D_the_Female.
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 08:27:19 am »
No. I'm a sheilder and i disagree, it would ruin balance. I would have full black armor, steel shield, and the long espada and one shot most people with my 11 PS and absorb every attack that comes at me with either my shield, or 11 IF that makes me almost impervious to any forms of damage from lower level people.
Horrible suggestion.
On a similar note, it is imperative to carry smoke bombs. Archers get confused because they're so ineffective that they pause to wonder why, so they end up being as effective as intended.