Author Topic: Meet the Archer and Crossbowwoman!  (Read 34882 times)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Meet the Archer and Crossbowwoman!
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2011, 08:07:53 pm »
Can people stop saying that arblast can 1 shot people in light armour? I have no looms and I can't 1 shot an archer who's wearing the nord noble out fit which only has about 8 armour or something

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »
No way... You posted the correct differences between a bow and a crossbow! This only happens on these forums once every two months, I better mark this moment down on the calendar.

EDIT: For the record, the official NA servers use the same maps as EU does, though I am hoping to remove a select few of them... Very few NA players like that wooden fort map with the two towers connected by a bridge.

I like to take your word for it, but I have never seen the open Eu field maps on NA, and there are some truly bad "slap some buildings together, add clutter, add more clutter just to reduce framerate" maps that exist on NA that thankfully never appear on EU.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »
I like to take your word for it, but I have never seen the open Eu field maps on NA, and there are some truly bad "slap some buildings together, add clutter, add more clutter just to reduce framerate" maps that exist on NA that thankfully never appear on EU.

Try the Official NA Servers.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2011, 10:25:33 pm »
Na Crpg ie the ATS servers are the official ones right? EU1 is one of the official EU ones right? Difference in map lineup is like night and day, unless it changed very recently.

*edit* I take that back. confused crpg NA ie ats with the official ones, whoops.

*ninjaed by you , thanks, now I have a place to escape the ats lineup.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:29:52 pm by kongxinga »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2011, 10:26:42 pm »
CRPG NA ie the ATS servers are the official ones right? EU1 is one of the officla EU ones right? Difference in map lineup is like night and day, unless it changed very recently.

No. ATS servers are not the official servers.

the official servers use the same naming conventions as the EU official servers.

NA_cRPG_1, NA_cRPG_2, NA_cRPG_3, NA_cRPG_6 (Battle, Siege, Strategus, DTV).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:40 pm »
Can people stop saying that arblast can 1 shot people in light armour? I have no looms and I can't 1 shot an archer who's wearing the nord noble out fit which only has about 8 armour or something

Ya, I get 1 shot all the time on my lightly armored characters.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2011, 11:10:37 pm »

How?  Ask Bale, Balb, a few LLJK guys, or anyone else on the official NA-1 battle server this morning.  I was running around with an arbalest xbow for lulz at 1 wpf (which btw has shitty accuracy compared to the 150 I'm used to) and it was taking me 2-3 shots to kill anyone barring a headshot.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2011, 11:24:28 pm »

Your lightly armor characters are a fail characters then and deserve to be one shot. I can't one shot lightly armoured archers with mw arbalest and +2 bolts unles point blank (and usually not even then).

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2011, 11:27:22 pm »
 :rolleyes:

How? It happens. Its a statistical possibility. Saying stuff like "your lightly armor characters are fail characters then" makes no logical sense whatsoever.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »
And the xbowmen can jump and shoot accurately unlike an archer.  The rus bow would not have been comparative at all for damage on anything mid-tier armor or above (like 1/10th health isntead of the 45-55% shown.)  I see xbowmen dodge all the time and its really nice to be able to reload at leisure behind a crenellation/wall/tree/shielder/etc. and then pop out to shoot only when you choose to rather than having to go immediately as you draw back your bow wihtin a 1/4 second to shoot accurately.  Much harder to dodge a fast travelling xbow bolt now than a slow moving arrow.  May have been closer to balanced pre-last patch, but certainly not now.

As over done as this is, how do you guys do in the rain? How much easier is it for you to kite melee guys even as a longbowman? I sure can't do it without running around for so long that I get poll kicked or accused of delaying. The long bow, while slower is still very comparable to the Arbalest. it also has a much better rate of fire with a little over half the damage still. Also, Xbows (especially the higher end ones) are very circumstantial not only due to weather, but also by maps. Archers will always be more versatile than Xbowmen because of the fact that you can reload on the move while we can't. Reloading my bow in an open field usually means a frustrating, painful death. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but don't bows now get more fall damage from arking your shots?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:39:25 pm by Darkkarma »
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2011, 11:37:09 pm »
:rolleyes:

How? It happens. Its a statistical possibility. Saying stuff like "your lightly armor characters are fail characters then" makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Yes, it happens. But if it happens to you "all the time", then your build fails or you intetionally gimp yeself. I have a 9/30 character that runs around in gambeson and dies in one hit from almost anything, even a bow if the arrow catches me running at him at full speed. I die at that character in one hit all the time but I epxected that when i created it and deal with it. Do I blame the weapons for being OP because it kills me in one hit? No.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2011, 01:01:33 am »
+2
I put damage tests in the first post specifically to avoid bullshit discussions like this
"It happens!"
"NUH UH!"

The shot in the first post was made at short-medium range against a character with 55 hp, tribal warrior outfit and chain mittens. I took 3 shots. One killed him, one left him with ~10% hp, one had the result pictured (~1% hp). This was with unloomed arbalest and steel bolts.

Fact:
The unloomed Arbalest w/Steel Bolts can one-shot characters in light armor (~30 armor), but will not always do so. It's impossible to get more specific without specifying conditions much more precisely.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:04:30 am by Elerion »

Offline DumpsterNerd

• Knight
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2011, 03:29:57 pm »
Cool well thought out post/argument.  If you really wanna go another extra mile, you should combine throwers into the mix.  I realize they're a different breed, but they fire faster than archers, they do more damage, and they have 0 accuracy bloom.

Personally, I think archers need a buff in the sense that it's REALLY hard and REALLY inaccurate to use a bow compared to xbow/throwing.  Also bows do shit damage vs plate unless you're using a longbow.  To the question is : Why be an archer?  I found that out, and am looming an arbalest for my next char.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2011, 04:28:18 pm »
+1
No, throwing is not comparable. It has a different function altogether.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »
I am working on my archer (main) character to retire. Only 2.5 million xp left. What I do is throwing stones on horseback, fisting enemies on the battlefield to make them confuse while I'm naked, using a decent 1hander weapon with a hide covered shield, wearing heavy armor and supporting my team with a light lance. But definetely not archery. Because it is so boringly, uneffective and consumes large amount of gold in exchange.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D