Author Topic: Meet the Archer and Crossbowwoman!  (Read 32439 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Meet the Archer and Crossbowwoman!
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2011, 03:08:50 am »
Would be awesome if PD became a requirement for xbows. 5 PD is what... +40% damage?

Wow! That would make those 1 shot kills go down to...let me see....1 shot kills!  :lol:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline JOPOTINTTI

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »
Pre patch almost everything was balanced to me, crpg has lost its charm pff.

Offline Ishtar_Soup

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishtar_Soup
« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2011, 04:44:13 pm »
The archer is simply not fun to play anymore. And players are leaving.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »
+2
The archer is simply not fun to play anymore. And players are leaving.

Personally I've seen more people become archers than change from archery to something else.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »
Personally I've seen more people become archers than change from archery to something else.

^
Same
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »

Yep
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2011, 06:22:37 pm »

I am seeing the opposite. Noticing more people make archery alts but swap mains away from it.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »
+2
I've seen alot more gear towards range in general. Most people who have done range in the past seem to be going more towards longbow builds if they are strat oriented. Most melee and 2h polearm hero classes seem to be respecing to hybrid builds for the sake of being able to use regular crossbows in strat to combat all of the longbows. It's a pretty nasty cycle.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2011, 07:45:22 pm »
+1
70%  of the players using a longbow are sellouts! Learn to make kills without it you ranged bastards! I bet you would use the DGS if you were melee! Ugh...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2011, 01:20:30 am »
+2
70%  of the players using a longbow are sellouts! Learn to make kills without it you ranged bastards! I bet you would use the DGS if you were melee! Ugh...

90% of the players using a melee weapon! Learn to make kills without it you melee bastards :!:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:21:59 am by _Sebastian_ »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 09, 2011, 02:02:30 am »
+1
In the current state of cRPG I would not be surprised if the mace :

Was the most prevalent weapon in equipment loadouts.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2011, 02:24:54 am »
+1

This is probably strat oriented. Huge amounts of range in strat is basically the entire point, the side with the most skilled shootists (who are geared) will generally fair better. Crossbowman just aren't as useful for open field battles.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »
Having been an xbowman for a while now I decided to try being an archer with a STF char.  My conclusions are that if you take the xbows as being balanced vs melee (which I think they are) then the high end bows are definitely a little underpowered in terms of missile speed but they are too accurate.  I think the bow difficulties are also off compared to their damage, since to me difficulty is a direct measure of the bow's poundage and damage should therefore be proportional to difficulty.

I don't think it would take much to bring them into line though. 

The first thing that needs to happen is that they ALL need to do piercing damage.  It just makes sense.

Next I would change the bow stats to the following;
Short Bow: Difficulty = 1, Missile Speed = 35, Damage = 13p, Speed Rating = 75, Accuracy 99

Bow: Difficulty = 3, Missile Speed = 39, Damage = 19p, Speed Rating = 65, Accuracy 97
Nomad Bow: Difficulty = 3, Missile Speed = 39, Damage = 19p, Speed Rating = 65, Accuracy 97

Yumi: Difficulty = 4, Missile Speed = 41, Damage = 22p, Speed Rating = 60, Accuracy 96
Tatar Bow: Difficulty = 4, Missile Speed = 41, Damage = 22p, Speed Rating = 60, Accuracy 96

Rus Bow: Difficulty = 5, Missile Speed = 43, Damage = 25p, Speed Rating = 55, Accuracy 95
Horn Bow: Difficulty = 5, Missile Speed = 43, Damage = 25p, Speed Rating = 55, Accuracy 95

Long Bow: Difficulty = 6, Missile Speed = 45, Damage = 28p, Speed Rating = 50, Accuracy 94

As you can see overall bows get a slight damage buff and a decent missile speed buff, but this is compensated for by a nerf to accuracy. 

The bows are now also pared up giving people a choice of models at each PD level which is good as it means everybody doesn't go through the recurved bows which aren't very European and therefore don't fit with some character themes.  Ideally, I'd rename the Long bow as "Heavy Long Bow" and then stick a PD 4 Long Bow in there to give an alternativ to the Yumi since the Yumi model is not European either, but for now the Yumi will do.

The final thing I would do is make the Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow and Arbalast have difficulties based on wpf.  20, 40 and 60 should be fine for each respectively.  The only aim here is to stop any old person picking up a crossbow and being able to use it.  Whilst I believe Xbows are balanced there are still too many of them.  I'm tired of seeing them being used by everybody especially in Strat Sieges where melee chars use up all the bolts, decreasing the effectiveness to dedicated xbowmen.  It might not be realistic, but its definitely more balanced.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:06:53 pm by Tomas »

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2011, 06:41:21 pm »
Having been an xbowman for a while now I decided to try being an archer with a STF char.  My conclusions are that if you take the xbows as being balanced vs melee (which I think they are) then the high end bows are definitely a little underpowered in terms of missile speed but they are too accurate. 
I'm still messing around with a stf archer by slowly increasing stats and testing but I know that the higher powerdraw the greater arrow speed. So if the general arrow speed of bows is increased high PD archers will also have faster speeds.

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #329 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »
...but they are too accurate.

Woot?
The bow accuracy is nerfed to much.
Especialy the long bow is damn inaccurate and the rus bow has now the same accuracy like the longbow prepatch!

There is definetly no accuracy nerf needed.

The worst thing is, that the arbalest is more accurate that the hunting crossbow(but only with some wpf) :!:
I would like to see if this happens to the bows... so that the longbow is way more accurate than the shortbow :rolleyes:

Click here for screens;
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:04:14 am by _Sebastian_ »