Author Topic: A New or Alternative North American Strategus Server?  (Read 12100 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: A New or Alternative North American Strategus Server?
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »
and eu didnt have abusers (lol me).
so you are saying, ATS has abuser admins, yet a guy who not only abused but also stole the password, thats the better alternative? Not to mention that ecko said long ago Strategus Administration and Normal Servers would be seperated.

btw, i do remember participating in strategus battles on ecko's servers. It was normal laggy for me.

That was back in december.  They have 3 new servers running on the same box and the lag is pretty bad right now, even without a large strategus battle running on same box at same time.  I am suggetsing trying to go play now during NA prime time, december isn't really relevant.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:14:49 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 06:45:31 pm »
That was back in december.  They ahve 3 new servers running on the same box adn the alg is pretty bad right now, even without a large startegus battle running on same box at same time.  I amdsuggetsing trying to go play now during NA prime time, december isn't really relevant.

Last night we had a 40 man scrim on the Strat server during prime time, when the other servers were full or nearly so. I know its not the most accurate test, but there was no server-side lag whatsoever. In fact I was getting 10-15 ping lower than I normally do. I know 40 people is different than 200, but if there was gonna be an issue don't you think we would have experienced even a little lag?

I say before we jump to conclusions this needs to be tested. I never get lag on the 80 or 100 man, Kesh. Not server-side at least. FPS drops, sure, its a buggy game. Client side spikes when my roommate is streaming Netflix or something? Sure. But server-wide lag where everybody's rubberbanding and all players ping is over 300? Never, I say never seen it happen.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Slanted
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »
+1
He didn't steal the password.  It was given to him, then in a night of drunken rage he logged on and did some stupid things.
And we should be clear: He was really, really drunk. He's usually not an idiot, and since then he's actually been trying very hard to improve the reputation of LLJK and NA-CRPG as a whole. His motives for doing this aren't malicious, he genuinely wants an entirely neutral server run by chadz, free of all clan ties.

I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that the ATS servers are properly equipped to handle their current loadout, plus another server that will be packed to capacity at all times - it's just not going to happen. I'm quite grateful to Ecko for running the NA C-RPG server, and I'd never suggest those be unlinked or whatever (despite being permabanned twice as collateral damage), but at present they lag fairly badly and not just at peak times. I don't blame Ecko for this - he's running the three servers that form the base of the NA community at his own expense, and doing it the best he can. They're just not equipped for the amount of players he has, and they're only going to keep coming now that Strategus is back up.

I don't really want to get into the issue of clan bias on the ATS servers - That's really not here or there. All I'll say is that I have absolutely no problem with the vast majority of admins that Ecko has empowered there, but a small minority of them are ridiculously childish for having been given that power, and the server's reputation has suffered because of it. In any case, I don't think anyone will actually argue that having an important server run by a single involved clan would be better than the developer having direct access and control over it.

A lot of you are acting like chadz was walking alone through a dark alley and Classical, hopped up on PCP, jumped out with a knife and forced him to accept a free server. And then I guess Ecko lost...his wallet? Which I guess is a metaphor for his Strategus server? I don't really know where I was going with this analogy. Just imagine I said something wise and pithy.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:02:12 pm by Slantedfloors »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 07:16:10 pm »
+1
Weren't members of LLJK distancing themselves from Zealot when took the admin passwords?  I could have sworn that people were saying that zealot had been banned from the LLJK server as well for other grievances... must be thinking about the wrong person, my apologies

I'd like to think of myself as not one to hold grudges (this is the internet after all) but I'm also aware of propagoonda and I don't totally buy this whole 'zealot is trying to reform!' side as much as 'zealot is trying to stick it to Ecko'.

Setting any personal feelings aside, on the surface this is a win-win-win for everyone. Community gets 'free' official servers, Zealot gets to reshape his public image, Ecko doesn't need to pay more $$$, and we get a neutral clan-free realm for Strategus.

So I say bravo to the act, but not the actor.  If at some later point zealot tries to gain leverage through payment of the servers I'll be against it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:25:27 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »
That was hellowrold, because hellowrold left lljk to join bird several weeks prior to the 'hackings' and only changed his tag back before them to take a stab at us.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »
+1
Can this box just host a dedicated strategus server, and not a battle and siege as well? We've already got a few empty NA servers for battle and siege, and I'd rather have a completely lag free official strategus server, then just another sticky mess.

Depending on Zealot is also kind of sketchy.

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
Weren't members of LLJK distancing themselves from Zealot when took the admin passwords?  I could have sworn that people were saying that zealot had been banned from the LLJK server as well for other grievances...
You're probably thinking of hellowrold, who was caught hacking and was pretty much disowned as a result. Zealot's actions (and the repercussions that followed) were met with a little amusement, but were not condoned in the slightest. He wasn't banned from TX_Battle, but only because he's an institution and also runs our Duel/Special Event server.

I'd like to think of myself as not one to hold grudges (this is the internet after all) but I'm also aware of propagoonda and I don't totally buy this whole 'zealot is trying to reform!' side as much as 'zealot is trying to stick it to Ecko'.
Initially I thought much as you do, but from what he's said in TS and in his posts (both on SA and our private forums), it seems he's honestly just trying to make nice and improve both his image and the community. I don't blame you for your suspicions and don't expect to change your mind, but there it is.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:27:55 pm by Slantedfloors »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 07:26:34 pm »
You're probably thinking of hellowrold, who was caught hacking and was pretty much disowned as a result. Zealot's actions (and the repercussions that followed) were met with a little amusement, but were not condoned in the slightest. He wasn't banned from TX_Battle, but only because he's an institution and also runs our Duel/Special Event server.
mah bad, edited my post.
Initially I thought much as you do, but from what he's said in TS and in his posts (both on SA and our private forums), he's honestly just trying to make nice and improve his image. I don't blame you for your suspicion, but there it is.

I guess we'll find out then won't we  :D

Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »
Having the NA strat server not being run by any clan is literally the best thing to every happen.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:44 pm »
Zealot owning the server? Worst. Idea. Ever.

He would quite literally be the last person on the list of choices of people to manage the server. I don't care how drunk you say he was, you are still responsible for your actions.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »
+1
He would quite literally be the last person on the list of choices of people to manage the server. I don't care how drunk you say he was, you are still responsible for your actions.
Zealot's never tried to weasel out of the consequences of what he did, or tried to pass the blame on to someone else. He's taken full responsibility for what he did. He even says he agreed with Ecko's banning of himself.

What he's trying to do right now is do something for the NA community (whether to rehabilitate his image or out of charity or whatever), and people are acting like he just made sweet salty love to their grandmother.

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 08:39:53 pm »
Zealot's never tried to weasel out of the consequences of what he did, or tried to pass the blame on to someone else. He's taken full responsibility for what he did. He even says he agreed with Ecko's banning of himself.

What he's trying to do right now is do something for the NA community (whether to rehabilitate his image or out of charity or whatever), and people are acting like he just made sweet salty love to their grandmother.

You get a +1 for that last bit right there :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
+1
people are acting like he just made sweet salty love to their grandmother.

Hey now, my Grandmother's sex life is non of my business! I don't care nor do I wanna hear about it  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »
Wow I never thought I'd see goons running the official NA strategus server.  chadz, can I have some of what you're smoking?  Sounds pretty strong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current NA server set up for strategus.  No reason to disconnect it at all.  We played dozens of battles on the NA server in the past and it worked perfectly fine.  Any lag comes from putting 200 people in cRPG/strat, not the server.  I'm trying not to get angry here but this is quite simply a bafflingly retarded decision to shut down the perfectly fine current NA server and give it to unreliable griefing goons who we've had to warn/kick/ban off the servers countless times for blatant disregard of the rules.

I'd welcome official NA servers, but chadz never had an interest in them so the NA community took up the slack and made something for themselves.  Now all this is going to be handed over to the goons?  Terrible idea.  And this was done apparently without any consultation with NA server owners except LLJK, chadz just comes along and says "lul I'm disconnectin ur server.  Oh and they wont be up for 2 weeks, but im still disablin' ur server nao"

If LLJK wants to fund a server of their own, put BOTH servers up and let folks decided where they want their battles.  Or if Classical is genuine about wanting an official server, let him give the money to chadz or someone, and let them buy and run the server.  That way it will be truly official.  Frankly I don't trust Classical at all to run the only NA strat sever fairly given his record.  We will see more garbage like happened last time, and plenty of LLJK griefing in strat.

Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »
+1
Words

It will be paid by Classical not run by him.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.