Author Topic: A New or Alternative North American Strategus Server?  (Read 12057 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
A New or Alternative North American Strategus Server?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:23:48 pm »
+9
I really hope the NA strategus server doesn't get super laggy because the other servers on the same box have people on it. Having the DTV, NA 100, NA 80, Strategus/Duel, and NA Siege is way too much for the current capacities of the box you are using.  As long as you have the NA Strategus server something needs to be done, otherwise one of the other existing servers not connected to that box needs to become the new strategus/duel server as the loads are pretty high and demanding for strategus fights.

Many strategus fights have over 120 people in it and under the current system if it is a night fight, the NA 100/80/siege will have people in it as well competing with the server capacity and create really bad lag (already pretty bad server lag).  We need to either allow one of the other existing servers like the blackrose, tunatown, or texas battle servers to become the new strategus/duel or an alternate one for prime time fights OR get rid of one of the servers on that box taht are eating up so much of the capacity so that the box will actually be able to handle the load and not ruin all the NA strategus fights during prime-time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:44:10 pm by Kalam »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
Re: A New or Alternative North American Strategus Server?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:56 pm »
+3
I agree even the current NA servers start to get really bad when they fill up, with strat too it is going to be completely awful.

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:01:05 pm »
+1
While I personally have never suffered any server load issues on the current NA 80 and 100 man servers, I do think you make a good point, Kesh. Still, do you think anyone else would be willing to give up their primary clan server (TunaTown for instance) just for Strategus?

One option could be to close down one or both the other NA servers for the duration of larger Strat matches. Another option could be for ATS to get a separate box just for Strat. Before you castrate me, Ecko, I do realize that this would mean more money. I'm not sure where that would come from, but maybe the promise of smoother Strat battles would be a nice donation incentive for the public.

Speaking of money, I have heard rumors that we are trying to upgrade those servers, but it will cost even more than the current ones do (and they cost a lot.) Not sure if something like that would help but, again, public donations to the servers do nothing but assist in that regard.

Does anybody know how it worked before, in old old Strategus? Was the NA Strat server always shared with the 100 and 80 man? If so, was performance an issue? (Short of one's personal client-side issues of course.) An interesting discussion!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:06:34 pm »
Yeh, I think the dream of a better box disappeared when Devilize ran off with the money. :(  But if its at all possible, great, than no problems.  Otherwise I think my clan might be open to changing Tunatown for strategus if needed (still would have to talk to them about this), since being the duel server during the off-time works well since many clan members spend more time in duel than in battle.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:16:04 pm »
+2

Does anybody know how it worked before, in old old Strategus? Was the NA Strat server always shared with the 100 and 80 man? If so, was performance an issue? (Short of one's personal client-side issues of course.) An interesting discussion!

Back in old old strat I believe the NA strat server was shared with the NA battle server. At that time I think ATS was running the only servers for US. If all their servers are shared on the same box now, I'm sure it was the same back then. And back then there was only 1 battle server, now the 100 man, 80 man, and siege all run on the same box?

Strategus battles really ate shit on there. I'm not sure how this compared to EU strat because I never played on them but the performance was poor. Having more on the same box is a bad idea.

Why do they even need to run that many servers on the same box? We have plenty of NA servers now, cut it down to just the 100 man battle. I'm sure another clan would be happy to run the siege on their box and I think OOTL has a DTV server?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:18:08 pm by Beans »

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »
+1
If they do keep the 100/80/seige they should take down the DTV and maybe cut down the slots on seige in order to reduce lag on other servers.
Although a new strat server altogether would be a much better Idea.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »
+1
Yah, wouldn't be too fun having lag which would screw up big battles.

Another alternative is chadz buys us a SUPER SERVER like EU has. Just sayin'

Maybe have a option to donate to either the NA Strat or EU Strat.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »
+1
The strat/duel server has to have 200 capacity which is pretty pricey when renting a server anywhere... im not convinced any of the other clans can shoulder the cost for it... what would be an easier solution would be to get rid of a couple of the current servers on the box.. there are many other servers around that are not consistently populated... if the NA siege went away then one of the existing servers could convert to siege to fill the gap, and the same for if the 80 disappeared. but i dont see anything changing... not unless the lag during strat fights is brutal...

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:28:16 am »
Soooo... read the devilize story.  Does this mean brand new nice server box???

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:42 am »
Nah he's just gonna take all your money again  :twisted:

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:14 am »
Soooo... read the devilize story. ???

link?

Offline Adrian

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:47 am »
I totally agree, server speeds as is are pretty pathetic during primetime hours or whenever the servers are running with a large populace of players. So I really don't see how strategus will run all on the same box as the current servers.

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 02:02:41 pm »
+10
Official North American Servers
Read below for more information..

So chadz asked me to post here to announce something to you guys, since you brought this thread up yourself.

For the last couple weeks I've been in talks with chadz to organize a set of servers for both, Battle, Siege, and Strategus that are officially endorsed by chadz, and his entire staff of official admins. This was only being discussed due to the fact there were no "official" servers for North America, unlike the European servers, which are official.

So long story short: I'm going to be throwing up a well-specced box (I'm a little too lazy to use multiple ones, deal with it) and paying for it, off this box the official North American servers will be hosted on it. The new official North American servers will be a..

Battle Server, Siege Server, and the official Strategus Server, slots for each of these servers is still being decided.

The servers and their entirety will be run and moderated by chadz and his team of moderators, these servers are completely neutral, and I have no control over them whatsoever. Remember: they are run by chadz, not me.

Consider this my gift to the community.

The servers are estimated to go up sometime next week, we'll see if the payment goes through without complications, but I'm estimating it for sometime next week. Just stick to the fact, this is a reality, and it is coming when it comes, I'll try to be as speedy as possible.

Remember, these are official servers run by chadz and his moderation teams, not run by me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:15:24 pm by Classical »

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:39 pm »
Thumbs up for you Classical!

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:08:29 pm »
Feel the Eu admin abuse now.