Author Topic: Strategus History  (Read 46344 times)

Offline Smiling Daemon

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Strategus History
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »
Having multiple accounts of what happen is necessary and entertaining for us all to read. It is by far the most balanced way to find out the truth and learn of everyone's story, be it of triumph or loss.

If you think there can only be 1 true account of things or that history has some kind of accurate version then you've clearly not read any history books. Historians and researchers argue amongst themselves all the time, evidence is lost, whole stories were fabricated, or records simply does not exist. There is no such thing as the most accurate source, unless some omnipotent being with far superior abilities somehow inhabits all cRPG player's mind and process, analyze, and parse through all our actions and motivations; then enforced his/her superior ideology of morality upon our actions and with his/her benevolence decided to make a forum post telling us the truth as this god sees it, then yeah you have a point about there being one singular and most accurate truth. But, I don't think that's happening any time soon so if you disagree with someone's account of an event that happen in a computer game, then perhaps you should move on and read something else.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:13 pm »
Truth is not relative. Your posts are about points of view, estimates etc, not truth itself.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 11:02:39 pm »
Truth is not relative. Your posts are about points of view, estimates etc, not truth itself.
(His opinion)
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 11:50:09 pm »
My posts are about finding truth.  Yours are just annoying.

. There is no such thing as the most accurate source, unless some omnipotent being with far superior abilities somehow inhabits all cRPG player's mind and process, analyze, and parse through all our actions and motivations; then enforced his/her superior ideology of morality upon our actions and with his/her benevolence decided to make a forum post telling us the truth as this god sees it, then yeah you have a point about there being one singular and most accurate truth.

But that entity does exist, and his name is Boss_Awesome.  And this thread is his horse.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 12:55:50 am »
*Official version of strategus history as revealed by me*

One day Beauchamp broke away from the Templars and started the Fallen Brigade. It quickly became the greatest faction in strategus  due to to it's great and diverse players and it's amazing villages such as Zagush! Everything non-Fallen is irrelevant.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 01:49:25 am »
I always love reading game history, I did this a lot of eve online, thanks for the post buddy

and it appears ninja thomek was correct in his assumption..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:53:34 am by ManOfWar »
Just a soldier

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 02:37:46 am »
My posts are about finding truth.

If truth is relative, how can you find it?

And it's relative, in relation to what?
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 02:55:34 am »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lord_Nico

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:26 am »
@ Awesom need a map on first post too better see the situation ;)

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 11:53:39 am »
Nice topic we lack maps and dates :) and then we can teach it in schools !

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 05:43:49 pm »
A long time ago, Strategus was a closed beta.  Only those with invites were inside, which meant even in the enormous clans there might be only a few members.  For D'hara, a clan numbering three at that time, the odds of getting in before the map was claimed were few.  However, against all odds, I got in, though I was alone.  After finding some empty space to recruit under a completely different system, I managed to amass an army of just over 300, and equip them quite abysmally.  Villages at that time were quite weak, but it still had 500 soldiers and more money than I did.  Still, not wanting to fall behind and full of D'Haran pride, I attacked.

At that time, the sides weren't limited to how many people they could hire.  The computer would hire literally anyone who signed up, and they could all play.  So when it came to the actual battle, we had 60 people on the server, but they had 90.  But the AI's hiring of everyone who signed up didn't help it, and since I hired all the good players first, especially the Mercs (who killed half the enemy alone), Templar, and others who will be added when I can get back in Strategus to check the hiring list.  Through discipline and superior ranged firepower, we slaughtered, losing only half our inferior force.  Istiniar was ours.

From there, the numbers of the army grew quickly, though the money still did not.  As I was the only member of D'Hara in Strategus, we weren't making insane income off my limited play.  However, then Ozin got in, and suddenly our income was doubled.  Up until that time, only villages had been taken in game.  The Mercs had 6 or 7, the Templar a similar number, IRC was rolling in them, but we only had our one, because above 1, you had to pay upkeep.  Having just one meant we weren't losing half our income, since we didn't have the advantage of a dozen members in game.  So, needing money and being possessed of insanity, we decided to be the first to take a castle and assaulted Maras Castle with a troop count equal to its garrison and equipment decidedly inferior.

We won that battle as well, with the help of the Mercs again, as well as a significant showing by ATS and other NA groups who fought exceedingly well despite EU ping (in the days prior to an NA strategus server).  D'Hara was the first group to take a castle, and we rejoiced in it.  I hadn't even believed we'd take it, myself, expecting to only damage the garrison to prevent it from making money faster than us.  But it was ours, and we were eager to keep it.

From there we quickly expanded into the other villages, though careful to keep a powerful army at Maras.  From time to time a group would show up intent on taking part of our claims, but we were able to run them off either through auto-calcing their armies or diplomacy.  To name a few, the SlavWarriors, Grey Order, Murtagh's army, and the Nemesis clan were all among those either talked or fought ought.  (SlavWarriors were actually banned out for cheating their way into the closed beta en masse.)

D'Hara grew to hold all our traditional lands when I got bored of defending and autocalcing.  When the Templar put out a call for crusade, I dropped everything, left D'Hara, and marched on the 22nd with my bodyguard.  There was no resistance, sadly, so that quickly grew boring too.  I came back to D'Hara shortly after, selling my village to LLJK for a decent sum of gold.  However, I wasn't able to stand our new arrangement with the Guard of Istiniar, being more of an absolute power kind of guy, so I got bored again and wanted to cut back on my playtime, so I left.  Why they keep letting me come back, I'm not sure, but I am the king of wanderlust.  Anyhow, I left to witch hunt, launching various attacks on other groups which were small but enjoyable.  However, it wasn't quite fair to Ozin, who never wanted to be a leader.  Shortly thereafter, D'Hara fell to the UIF following a lightning speed invasion and Ozin disappeared, leaving Gavin of the Istiniar Guard in command of the army, which then surrendered to attempt to save a remnant of D'Hara.

At that point, things sort of died off for D'hara, until the UIF began to slowly return lands to the Istiniar Guard under terms of the surrender agreement.  However the faction went inactive quickly, and soon there was no one in command of the Legions nor really active in the region.  After some time and discussion, I made my peace with the Guard of Istiniar and returned to D'Hara, maintaining the treaty with the UIF and splitting our territory into two sections, D'Haran and Guard of Istiniar territory.

At that point the freeze hit.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 07:28:11 pm »
I'll share my experiences, from a smaller clan that doesn't have any fiefs.

The Bridgeburners entered Strategus just before the First Calradian World War started. We were a tiny, unknown (I think there were about five of us) new clan among a sea of them with no real idea of the diplomatic relations at the time or the inner workings of the game. What we did do, in order to familiarize ourselves with the game, is fight in every battle we were accepted in. We met Kesh and his clan then, and he joined us and filled us in on what he knew. We were intent on taking a single village and keeping it. There were numerous offers of vassalage, but we wanted to see what we could do on our own first.

RandomDude and the Fallen Brigade helped us build our first small army of about 1500. It was right around then that the 22nd, backed by hired Mercs, attacked Templar Bloc territory while The Nordmen of Fenada and DenBitre attacked Those Grubby Serf lands. We figured that somewhere in all those battles was an opportunity for us to take some land.

A clan whom we wrongly assumed was also a small and unaffiliated like we were took Haen from RRC. Preliminary scouting told us that there were only about 300 troops in Haen, and a look around the area showed no possible reinforcements. At the time, we didn't know about chain link reinforcing. We swelled our troops to 2000 and came to an agreement with RRC. We attacked and received mostly Caravan Guard, D'Haran, and Templar fighters.

We were issued a warning from the 22nd, stating that 'you don't know who you're dealing with'. This was true. We didn't. Still, we thought we'd take it anyway since we already started the fight and they still had 300 troops. In the last few hours before the fight, they received reinforcements that put their numbers at 3000+.

We entered the battle with a small group in ventrilo, and despite our inexperience, managed an almost 1:1 K/D thanks to the advice and performance of Fiq Al Mata, Ozin, RandomDude, our archers, and a few other veterans- in spite of the fact that the Gardarika roster was made up of highly organized DRZ fighters.

It's after this that we realized that Druzhina was backing a few different clans aligned with the 22nd, and there's enough in the old threads about Kesh's 'conspiracy theories', most of which proved true.

We continued to fight for the Templar Bloc, and overwhelming defeat after defeat from a lack of equipment and general incompetence on their part taught us what not to do. It's in the defense of Those Grubby Serfs that we came across the Cavalieres and formed the still unknown Free Companies of Calradia with them and RRC, though RRC disappeared shortly after. We continued to fight until D'Hara was attacked- we reinforced them until we were told that they had accepted the UIF's (quite reasonable) terms of surrender. We stopped fighting and started recruiting once again.

After Ozin's disappearance, D'Hara offered us a place in their council, but we wanted to make sure we had something to bring to them first. It was about then that IRC announced their land grab. There were a lot of deals and misunderstandings in the air, but the short of it is that we took Iqbayl and Fishara. LLJK took the vast majority of the land, with the Hospitallers in the east. The Fallen went after the Hospitallers, and we assumed that someone or other was going to come after us, and it'd be better to have a city than two villages.

In addition, we wanted to have experience coordinating the attack and defense of a city, so we attacked Bariyye- an LLJK city. We concentrated our small force, gave up the villages, and planned for the siege. We'd contacted numerous clans and had fully expected ATS and RS to fight for us, given the fact that a lot of us played on the 80 frequently together.

We were wrong and found ourselves facing them instead. However, Druzhina and the Strangers proved both approachable and dependable. They supplied a majority of the archers that let us take Bariyye and later in our attempt to hold it. On a whole, we lost the small land grab skirmish with LLJK due (we believe) to a lack of troops and proceeded to go back to D'Haran territory.

It's at this point the freeze hit.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 07:31:51 pm »
First page updated.  Still looking for more accounts of the first strategus and also any old maps people may have. 

Offline Judgement

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Loghain
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »
Would definitely like to see the history regarding Templars when Strategus was first playable! Though I can't be bothered to write it myself, (and to be honest it would probably involve my opinion too strongly xD) and I have missed a big part of the finale where we were defeated.

At the start of Strategus, the Knights Templar were arguably the strongest clan (shared 1st place with Mercs imo), so this shouldn't be left out of the history :)

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »
Great idia, to set up strategus history.
Nice reading.
when UIF looks at you