Author Topic: The new lancing  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: The new lancing
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 02:55:34 am »
It feels like the game is getting more restricted and less skill based for each patch that just makes everything slower and more limited.
But I know why. That way teamplay gets more important and individual skill less important.
keep in mind we are not playing on fastest speed. Once everything is balanced, then they can increase game speed if desired.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 03:28:14 am »
The level of skill to make full use of the lancer class has been decreased alot with this "nerf".

yes,  that was my first thought aswell.   new skill sets must be mastered now,  or old ones in a different way.  of course i miss the versatility that the lancers used to have,  but its still lots of fun,  even more when gotten used to.  so meh,  i´m pretty pationless about the change.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:30:01 am by Torben »
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 04:25:00 am »
yes,  that was my first thought aswell.   new skill sets must be mastered now,  or old ones in a different way.  of course i miss the versatility that the lancers used to have,  but its still lots of fun,  even more when gotten used to.  so meh,  i´m pretty pationless about the change.

I guess you are right.

Anyway, I've decided to tryout 1h cav now + crossbow. Have never really tried it. It's just that it's a bit more expensive with the extra armour required...

I actually begin to like 1h cav alot... doing quite well on EU1 :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:47:48 am by Riddaren »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:17 am »
With the restrictions of the classes (by making them less versatile) teamplay is becoming more important. And I like teamplay.
Lancers are now much more dependent on other classes or by other lancers as they can no longer own on their own. Which is good I guess.

Pretty much like lancing in native clan matches. Pick your battles, support infantry, hit the unawares etc. I like that.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 05:18:13 am »
the arc change is good but still needs improvement.  Lance should be the end all of frontal attack.  Only melee weapons of 150+ length should stand against a lance (spears, pikes, flamberge)

as it stands now, pretty much anyone with a thrusting sword can kill frontal attack lancers

quick fix:+25 length on all lances, reduce speed by 10-15

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 10:56:40 am »
the arc change is good but still needs improvement.  Lance should be the end all of frontal attack.  Only melee weapons of 150+ length should stand against a lance (spears, pikes, flamberge)

as it stands now, pretty much anyone with a thrusting sword can kill frontal attack lancers

quick fix:+25 length on all lances, reduce speed by 10-15
Or try giving extra 10-20 degrees.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 04:41:46 pm »
After playing a while with the new changes I actually think we are onto something. For one it really makes lance vs lance cav fights more interesting.

I guess it makes fighting infantry more interesting although it is really stupid how easy a 2h can stab kill your horse because the lance doesn't protrude enough over your horses head. I think the angle should be either increased slightly like 10-20 degrees more, increase lance length, or making couch lancing more effective.

Couch lancing should be something no infantry can withstand without either a pike, or terrain advantage. Currently any infantry that isn't an idiot can dodge a couch without any issue. Maybe increase the speed that you can adjust your couch from side to side.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 05:37:10 pm »
i have noticed that lance damage has been greatly reduced aswell,  maybe because of the new armor soak n shit,  dunno.  all in all some major changes.

any who:
 my thoughts:   i bit longer lance would be nice,  but not rly a must imo

my wishlist:   if possible in any way,  id like to see the arc radius be dependant on speed.  in still stand,  a radius like it always was,  in highest speed (champ courser in 6th gear)
it could be even less than now,  or just like it is : )
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 03:30:58 am »
+1
I don't get why some lancers don't see that their class was OP.

You thought you had that much skill when you logged in and got 40 kills? Of course you had learnt something, gone from zero to hero, like everyone else in this game, but it just wasn't RIGHT.

The average player, in whatever class he plays, should have a good chance of getting 1 kill then die. If one class is superior, then all the other classes suffer from that, and you have a player shift to that class, like we saw just prepatch.

Being cav, with obvious advantages like choosing your battles, speed bonus and 1 shot kills must have some bad sides. Now it's a bit harder to lance people, that's good. If you loose a battle, no-one forced you to attack that person from a disadvantage, while you can enforce battle in your chosen moment on all infantry and archers at your wish.

Now it is a little bit harder to play as cavalry, but by no means the end of the class. Good cavalry players still do very good, and there is proof right there.

So please stop crying, and start thinking what this change means for your playstyle.

(i.e. 2 cav see a shielder or archer? First one bounce, second one stabs him or couches him to death. He has absolutely no counter to that.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:32:04 am by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 04:32:35 am »
I don't get why some lancers don't see that their class was OP.
simple:  lance caving is like a fucking fighter plane:  way too fun and awsome to want a change to happen.

You thought you had that much skill when you logged in and got 40 kills? Of course you had learnt something, gone from zero to hero, like everyone else in this game, but it just wasn't RIGHT.
The average player, in whatever class he plays, should have a good chance of getting 1 kill then die. If one class is superior, then all the other classes suffer from that, and you have a player shift to that class, like we saw just prepatch.
Being cav, with obvious advantages like choosing your battles, speed bonus and 1 shot kills must have some bad sides. Now it's a bit harder to lance people, that's good. If you loose a battle, no-one forced you to attack that person from a disadvantage, while you can enforce battle in your chosen moment on all infantry and archers at your wish.
Now it is a little bit harder to play as cavalry, but by no means the end of the class. Good cavalry players still do very good, and there is proof right there.
So please stop crying, and start thinking what this change means for your playstyle.
(i.e. 2 cav see a shielder or archer? First one bounce, second one stabs him or couches him to death. He has absolutely no counter to that.)

now,  the lance cav was -and is- a class of its own,  and in context of a battle never (last patch that is) was  op,  because there were enough countermeasures against it.  the balancing however failed,   which put 2 out of 3 countermeasures (HA and other lancers) in the same team.
in direct comparision to any other class,  the lancer (and other cav to a great extent) was  of course more effective: 
-speed of the horse gives lets u attack the enemy force at almost any spot at any time from any angle.
-gives you damage boost
-the horse itself can take some beating,  giving you in some part more reletive hp (speed bonus on the other hand gets you one hitted very fast aswell)
etc., etc.

and THIS is why the lancers wouldnt say they are op,  but just have the advantages the class should bring.

i am still undecided if the new lancing needs more skill or restricts the player in unfolding his complete potential,  but who the fuck cares anyway.

i am well aware that the former lancing was a pain,  because,  no matter how skilled a few guys in other classes were,  they couldnt do a lot against it if not organized.  and thats why i understand the changes.  u can actually fight back easily now.

the thing that bothers me about this is that a game is more interesting if not everyone can kill everyone. the more challenges the merrier,  but the devs hav their masterplan and im sure itll all fall into place.

and meh,  lancing is still ok fun i guess,  altho a lot less.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 04:35:59 am »
actually  good lancers always did that.  i think the change just makes lancing not so spammable (as in every noob gets a horse) which is cool

Atleast some can see it, gj.

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 05:03:05 am »
Lancing is indeed a tad harder but being a good lancer is still very possible. Lancers' potential is more restricted though, which I'm assuming was the point of the nerf anyway. Ive noticed both while lancing and while on foot as a caveman stone thrower that dodging lances is hilariously easy now, but if Huey and TommyHu and the other good lancers can still rock on cav maps then I think we can deal. We'll see as time goes on and people get more used to the changes.

Offline Vlad007

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • My jousting Armour
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 05:55:08 am »
What i dont like is that lances that are shorter than the "great lance" like the Heavy Lance should not out range the great lance when thrusted. When couched the Great lance should out range any other lance even when thrusted. The great lance can only be used couched so has many limitations and needs to out range thrusted lances. Any one who has used a lance in real life will know that they have no hitting power against armour unless they are couched, you can also usea  a significantly longer lance when couched, hence the 5 m long lnces of the winged hassars
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:56:31 am by Vlad007 »
Death or Glory

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 01:41:29 pm »
The problem is, every aware infantry guy with a lolsword can now kill lancers without lancers having a chance. The lolstab just kills them. I know lolstab was long ago changed into a shorter animation, but it's the entire sword that's impossible. The german and danish greatsword need higher STR requirments so they can't be spammed like a helicopter's blades, it's 2 meter of iron you are flying around with, and when doing a stab with such a long sword, the only way to really hurt with it is to use the polearm animation for it, it's just so clumsy if done that way.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »
Patch day 3, people starting to cool off...
gj Torben in seeing the light, now only Miralay left!