Author Topic: Shields got nerfed way too much....  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
Re: Shields got nerfed way too much....
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »
I think 2h, polearms and 1h are being promoted as the only choices.

BAM! Stole it :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »
BAM! Stole it :D

You realise there is no shield in that list?

'BAM! Stole it :D' doesn't do much to reassure me that you have the sense to understand what I wrote, quite the opposite in fact.

edit:

Oh I think I have unravelled the mystery you present: Yes, with that sig, you will make me look stupid to people that are stupid.

I have no problem with that, I don't care what stupid people think. It's par for the course that they don't grasp my awesome insights (lol)

But I'd hate to be left with the impression you've given (that you're a moron) if I am wrong, so please correct me if I am somehow mistaken.

Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:34:29 pm by Vance »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
Oh I think I have unravelled the mystery you present: Yes, with that sig, you will make me look stupid to people that are stupid.

I have no problem with that, I don't care what stupid people think. It's par for the course that they don't grasp my awesome insights (lol)

But I'd hate to be left with the impression you've given (that you're a moron) if I am wrong, so please correct me if I am somehow mistaken.

Thanks ;)
Being a subtle jerk still makes you a jerk.
If you think someone else is a jerk, there is no excuse to stoop to that level...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 08:18:24 pm »
Recently I notice shields seem to suck in these ways:

Getting hit through the shield by polearms and 2h swords.
Having movement, and turning, apparently stopped by blocking a light weapon.
Occasionally being unable to strike back before your opponent who is using a light weapon.
Hitting an opponent and their stagger moving them out of range for a follow up.
Bolts going through a huscarl with no sound of impact on the shield.
Lag when turning.
Slower striking from shield raised.
Less damage inflicted.
They used to be a lot more fun, even when 2h was ridiculously OP.
And it used to be practical to duel with one.

I think if you're at a high level of proficiency with 1h and shield, or you favor a long weapon and a backing away style, then you won't notice this lot so much.

On the bright side:

MS and barmace aren't crushing through anymore.
Shields seem to last a little longer.
2h is so not OP.

I find myself wondering if someone played too much WoW before balancing them, and thus concluded that they should suit defensive style.

And also wondering, as I have since the cap arrived, what the game would be like if we retired at 34, and ~12m xp, because shielders need to put points in shield and athletics.

I noticed these things i marked in bold letters in yout text, too.
It seems my Athletics 7 and Shield 7 Chars turns slower, and while i am swinging my sword i can not turn anymore in
the directen i was turning to. Or turning becomes ultra lsow from the moment you start youtr swing...

I can not belive that there are so less shielders out there who do not notice these mega nerfs they did to us....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:30:27 pm by Gortha »

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »
dont go watch matey fight , you will end up  being a eternal right clicking turtle , watch me instead :p

in all seriousness , i stopped whinning about shields with the community because general community opinion is : shield is autoblock = lame , shield is EZ mode , people loathe shielders , we are entitled to nothing , nor can ask anything , i suggest you do the same , go with the flow...

That´s weird, but i noticed the same.

In a real fight every shielder would crush 2handers or poles in 1on1...
That the funny thing...

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:17 pm »
Being a subtle jerk still makes you a jerk.
If you think someone else is a jerk, there is no excuse to stoop to that level...

Well, since you've joined us, I think I am in good company, don't you? :lol:

Joking aside, you're not helping him or me or anyone else by calling us both jerks. It's none of your business ;)

You remind me of that situation where one person intentionally TKs another, and then that person TKs them back, but then you step in and TK the retaliator. I think you're making it a farce with your blind sense of justice, you're really just making things worse.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:30:35 pm by Vance »

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:37 pm »
I'm currently of the opinion that 1h+shield is the best it's ever been. You have perfect blocking, you're almost immune from ranged, have great weapon speed and do decent damage. With the reduction in glancing 1 handers have become even more powerful. It's a good time to be a 1-hander.

I have never seen u on the EU-Servers. And even not at top of the boards with a shielder.
Well, i am often in the top ranks on my team, with my shielder.

So why do u think, playing a shielder cahracter from time to time - a few minutes - that you can
tell us there is no difference and no nerf to shielders.

You are funny and a Forum-Junky.

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2011, 08:25:16 pm »

Yeah, i am a whiny bitch. I know :D

but there is really something, there happened some changes to Shields, speed-weight-formula
and the way a 1h-shield Chars is acting now.

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2011, 08:29:15 pm »
but there is really something, there happened some changes to Shields, speed-weight-formula
and the way a 1h-shield Chars is acting now.

I totally agree bro :wink:

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »
+1
I have never seen u on the EU-Servers. And even not at top of the boards with a shielder.
Well, i am often in the top ranks on my team, with my shielder.

So why do u think, playing a shielder cahracter from time to time - a few minutes - that you can
tell us there is no difference and no nerf to shielders.

You are funny and a Forum-Junky.

Well, you wouldn't see me on EU 'cause I'm on NA. I also main shield and am usually at the top of the boards. There is a lot more to CRPG than EU you know.

Considering I have 1000 hours in Warband, I think I've played shielders for more than a few minutes.

The fact of the matter stands; 1-handers have never had it so good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2011, 08:49:59 pm »
+1

Joking aside, you're not helping him or me or anyone else by calling us both jerks. It's none of your business ;)

You remind me of that situation where one person intentionally TKs another, and then that person TKs them back, but then you step in and TK the retaliator. I think you're making it a farce with your blind sense of justice, you're really just making things worse.

No... more like I'm the one who watches you two TK each other and tells you both that "I don't care who started it, knock it off." Having 3/4 of your post a massive edit all about "Hey I am now talking about you acting like a moron and about your siggy which has nothing to do with the conversation at hand" is a trend that I am getting tired of.

This is not me having a blind sense of justice, this is me reminding you that this is a "Game Balance Discussion" so we should focus on Game Balance not hurl insults.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:52:09 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »
The raising and lowering of shields has absolutely nothing to do with whether a shield blocks or not. When your shield actually "blocks" depends on the shield speed. Some shields block before the shield is fully raised some block after it is fully raised. The Huscarl is VERY slow. If your shield skill is too low, you may run into problems.

The forcefield of shields got nerfed a LONG time ago and rightly so. Shields being an arrow magnet was always dumb. Instead of your shield grabbing every arrow around you you need to point it at the archer and raise or lower it depending on whether they are going for your head or feet. Easy enough.

fully agree...

want more shield speed and coverage? crank up the shield skill. i have a s/s alt 15/21 7shield 7ath 7wm. heavy kite shield is still superfast, knightly heater rocks the duels, huscarl with 7 shield skill will still give you forcefield.

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 09:29:52 pm »
+1
Recently I notice shields seem to suck in these ways:

Getting hit through the shield by polearms and 2h swords.
Having movement, and turning, apparently stopped by blocking a light weapon.
Occasionally being unable to strike back before your opponent who is using a light weapon.
Hitting an opponent and their stagger moving them out of range for a follow up.
Bolts going through a huscarl with no sound of impact on the shield.
Lag when turning.
Slower striking from shield raised.
Less damage inflicted.
They used to be a lot more fun, even when 2h was ridiculously OP.
And it used to be practical to duel with one.

Noticed these. Especially annoying is the one with guys with 2h and polearms who put their weapon model behind your shield and strike then. Fail collision detection ftw.
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2011, 02:58:34 am »
No... more like I'm the one who watches you two TK each other and tells you both that "I don't care who started it, knock it off." Having 3/4 of your post a massive edit all about "Hey I am now talking about you acting like a moron and about your siggy which has nothing to do with the conversation at hand" is a trend that I am getting tired of.

This is not me having a blind sense of justice, this is me reminding you that this is a "Game Balance Discussion" so we should focus on Game Balance not hurl insults.

And yet here you are, mired in what you're on a one-man crusade to defeat (lol). You should try to see the funny side instead of getting your knickers in a twist like this.

What he did was funny, what I did in response was funny, and then what you did (even though you unwittingly made yourself the butt of your own joke) was the icing on the cake.

But this is going to get even funnier if someone comes along and insults all 3 of us, so here's hoping lol  :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:29:01 am by Vance »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 11:31:41 am »
Shielders are fine, you can close this thread now.