Author Topic: Shields got nerfed way too much....  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Shields got nerfed way too much....
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »
Perhaps the Sats of the Huscarls are broken and i feel that crippled because of this...

From the c-rpg Website:

Huscarl's Round Shield
weight: 9
body armor: 20
difficulty: 5
hit points: 400
speed rating: 80
shield width: 42
Can't use on horseback

The Size is only 42. That would explain a lots...

Well, if the number is doubled for the calculation it would be okay...
Just thinking ....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:42:59 pm by Gortha »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »
Which BUFF!? What the FUCK!!!

The fact that there is much less chance of glancing. Previously, 2 handers did so well because of how much they could turn into their swings. Because of their extreme damage, they always had less of a chance of glancing.

Now that 1 handers glance less, we can turn into our strikes more. That combined with the overall fastest weapons in the game makes for a HUGE buff.

- We are hit from rediculous angles from guys which are in front of us.

With 5 shield skill and a moderately sized shield, I've never really had a problem with this. Could also be lag related.

- Recover Time is slower IMHO.

Not sure what you mean by recover time, but having a shield in no way affects your ability to attack. You attack at the same speed with or without one.
As far as shield speed it actually got INCREASED the patch before this one. All shield heirlooms get increased shield speed.

- Shield Sizes got Nerfed. .... my Huscarls is only 84!! it was 100! It cover like shit now.

The Huscarl never had a size of 100. It doesn't even have 84 now. It's 42 currently. You may be thinking of shield speed, which is 80. Also, 80 is kinda slow. That could account for you getting hit through your blocks.

- Shielding is slower than before

Don't really get this one as it seems to be as fast as it's always been. Nothing mechanic-wise has even been changed here.

Troll somewhere else please. You got no clue how we got nerfed with the last Version!

I think you may be the one trolling. Especially 'cause the changes you're bitching about happened a while ago. If you are a decent player, shielders are incredibly effective. Go watch ManOWar play and you'll see how effective you can be.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:40 pm »
MW Huscarls BEFORE patch

Weight           9
Body armour  24
difficulty         5
hp                  453
speed rating   83
shield width    42

MW Huscarls AFTER patch
weight: 9
body armor: 24
difficulty: 5
hit points: 453
speed rating: 83
shield width: 42

where exactly is this nerf you are talking about?

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 12:51:12 am »
Ingame the size is 84.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 01:19:27 am »
Ingame the size is 84.
It is calculated double what the website shows.
So, yeah. Don't see the issue
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gortha

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »
The Blocking speed with shield 7 and a huscarls is way slower than before the patch.
When i release my shield and try to block again, it´s too late in 9 of 10 times and the enemy hit through my shield...

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:16 pm »
The Blocking speed with shield 7 and a huscarls is way slower than before the patch.
When i release my shield and try to block again, it´s too late in 9 of 10 times and the enemy hit through my shield...

practice more. dont fall for feints and such. come watch me play on NA some time and youll see shields work just fine... i get a lot more people complaining about my shield being too good than people saying its not good enough (i think its pretty good as is... but give me my extra hp from looms back ;{)

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:25 pm »
Recently I notice shields seem to suck in these ways:

Getting hit through the shield by polearms and 2h swords.
Having movement, and turning, apparently stopped by blocking a light weapon.
Occasionally being unable to strike back before your opponent who is using a light weapon.
Hitting an opponent and their stagger moving them out of range for a follow up.
Bolts going through a huscarl with no sound of impact on the shield.
Lag when turning.
Slower striking from shield raised.
Less damage inflicted.
They used to be a lot more fun, even when 2h was ridiculously OP.
And it used to be practical to duel with one.

I think if you're at a high level of proficiency with 1h and shield, or you favor a long weapon and a backing away style, then you won't notice this lot so much.

On the bright side:

MS and barmace aren't crushing through anymore.
Shields seem to last a little longer.
2h is so not OP.

I find myself wondering if someone played too much WoW before balancing them, and thus concluded that they should suit defensive style.

And also wondering, as I have since the cap arrived, what the game would be like if we retired at 34, and ~12m xp, because shielders need to put points in shield and athletics.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:58:04 pm by Vance »

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »
practice more. dont fall for feints and such. come watch me play on NA some time and youll see shields work just fine... i get a lot more people complaining about my shield being too good than people saying its not good enough (i think its pretty good as is... but give me my extra hp from looms back ;{)
dont go watch matey fight , you will end up  being a eternal right clicking turtle , watch me instead :p

in all seriousness , i stopped whinning about shields with the community because general community opinion is : shield is autoblock = lame , shield is EZ mode , people loathe shielders , we are entitled to nothing , nor can ask anything , i suggest you do the same , go with the flow...

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 12:20:04 am »

I've somewhat noticed this, but I'd like to test it more. It seems like the radius of some shields has been reduced. Though I could be crazy. Front-facing you block fine, but off to the side slightly and attacks go right through.

Not sure what you mean here. I have no problems moving and blocking.

Occasionally being unable to strike back before your opponent who is using a light weapon.

I would put this down to your opponent turning into their swings. 2-handers and polearm users do this ALL THE TIME. However, since the chance of glancing has been reduced, you can too!

Never ran into this problem, but I'm a pretty aggressive shielder and like to press my attacks.

I've heard this happens a lot to people, but have never experienced myself. To be fair though, my shields are heirloomed.

Lag when turning.

Not sure what you mean here.

Not true. All swings come at the same speed. You could be dropping frames or skipping animation due to server lag.

Less damage inflicted.

With the recent changes to armor, this is indeed true. However, I think less chance of glancing more than makes up for it.

I duel with my 1-hander (without a shield) all the time. Totally doable. If you watch for weapon stun, you can really take people apart since 1-handers are so fast.

I think if you're at a high level of proficiency with 1h and shield, or you favor a long weapon and a backing away style, then you won't notice this lot so much.

Just retired yesterday and am already at level 23. I haven't noticed any differences really. I also use a medium length weapon and only have 5 athletics. Seems the same to me.

I'm currently of the opinion that 1h+shield is the best it's ever been. You have perfect blocking, you're almost immune from ranged, have great weapon speed and do decent damage. With the reduction in glancing 1 handers have become even more powerful. It's a good time to be a 1-hander.

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 12:26:10 am »
rustyspoon says 'I duel with my 1-hander (without a shield) all the time. Totally doable. If you watch for weapon stun, you can really take people apart since 1-handers are so fast.'

(You put your responses in my post so I can't quote you! How annoying! grrr lol)

You missed the point I made - that dueling with a shield used to be quite practical. But I should probably add to this that I use a short weapon, since it contributes a lot to the problem I face with being slowed and stunned for using a shield.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:27:26 am by Vance »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2011, 12:37:40 am »
You missed the point I made - that dueling with a shield used to be quite practical. But I should probably add to this that I use a short weapon, since it contributes a lot to the problem I face with being slowed and stunned for using a shield.

Yeah, dueling with short weapons is a bitch unless you're an agi build. Especially since most pole and 2-handers are a lot faster than you. Using teamwork in battle though...they are pretty great.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 12:52:27 am »
21 str and a falchion creates a line breaking monster. Join me in the fight against unrealistically long 1handers!

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 02:44:08 am »

Lag when turning.
Less damage inflicted.

Hmm. I've had similar problems, but I put it down either to lag or some other hardware related bother, or the fact that I'm just very much out of practice with shields.

On the bright side:

MS and barmace aren't crushing through anymore.
Shields seem to last a little longer.

Morningstar lost crushthrough about 5 patches ago and bar mace 3 patches ago...
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 11:16:34 am »
Yeah, dueling with short weapons is a bitch unless you're an agi build. Especially since most pole and 2-handers are a lot faster than you. Using teamwork in battle though...they are pretty great.

I used to use the broad one handed axe (73) and recently switched to the steel pick (64) since the axe seems to suck now - Swords have cut damage that comes pretty close! And picks just do tons more damage! Which just makes it a silly option! - so that change probably does account for some of the new problem of shields being useless to a player like me.

But I'm not convinced that 73+shield is practical for fighting without cowering-behind-teammates* (*Teamwork? For shielders only? Nursemaids to 2h and polearms? :() anymore. And frankly I think that a  style of playing, the one I've been using for way way more than 1000 hours since the first wipe, has been pretty much removed.

I think 2h, polearms and 1h are being promoted as the only choices. I appreciate that manual block is fun, I just think it's a shame to force everyone with an ounce of bravery (and a ton of skill :P) down that route.

I'm probably going to switch to nordic (Olwen-the-Hero) champion or spammitar, and learn to fight while walking backwards all the time since 2h and polearms are currently unrealistically better close up... Or just stop playing 1h+ shield if I still can't enjoy the game that way.

I actually do quite well with polearms and spamming, even though I'm not very good at manual block, because it makes the game easy. But easy kills are boring.... Oh what to do?.... lol

Morningstar lost crushthrough about 5 patches ago and bar mace 3 patches ago...

Sorry to confuse you, I'm talking about the game's rebalancing regardless of patch, I probably should have started my own thread.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:41:09 am by Vance »