Author Topic: Sick to my stomach  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Firebrand

• Baron
  • Renown: 146
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
  • Chooser of slain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Valkyrja
  • Game nicks: Valkyrja_Randgrid
Re: Sick to my stomach
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »
Finland didn't get all the pows back after the war. Soviet Union even denied that there were any Finnish pows left. Finland kept asking for those still missing and Soviet Union released some of them 10 years after the war. The pows that got returned were just skin and bones. Those released also reported that other Finns were still in the camps. They were never returned.
It could be finns who fought in waffen-SS divisions and were accussed in war crimes. I am not sure. But most of finnish soldiers were released very soon after war. I have to say about Finland-USSR relations. Despite winter war, and that finns participated in Leningrad blockade, there was kinda silent agreement between two countries. Finns didn't let wehrmacht to march through their land, and finns didn't advanced too far as n/azis wanted them. In late war finns even declared war to germany lapland war. So after war USSR allowed to keep independence to Finnland without any attempts to sovietization. I think finns was very smart and farsighted nation to live in peace with Soviet  Russia.

P.S. Want to say thanks most of people who argued with me(for some exceptions). I learned some new stuff for me!  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:44:03 pm by Firebrand »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:32 pm »
The US-army changed the status of german pow to def (disarmed enemy forces), so they had not to fullfill the geneva gonvention..

Officially 3.000 - 10.000 german pow died in camps of the western allies, while unofficially it has been 800.000 - 1.000.000. The german government has denied every request to allow digging for the supposed corpses so far..

Pictures I have found:
(click to show/hide)
News paper article: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13736816/Eisenhowers-DeathCamps-September-1989-Saturday-Night
A book on the matter: http://archive.org/details/Other_Losses

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:55 am »
The US-army changed the status of german pow to def (disarmed enemy forces), so they had not to fullfill the geneva gonvention..

Officially 3.000 - 10.000 german pow died in camps of the western allies, while unofficially it has been 800.000 - 1.000.000. The german government has denied every request to allow digging for the supposed corpses so far..

Pictures I have found:
(click to show/hide)
News paper article: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13736816/Eisenhowers-DeathCamps-September-1989-Saturday-Night
A book on the matter: http://archive.org/details/Other_Losses

About this, I remember reading about the geneva convention chatter between the USSR and chocolate chip cookie germany was quite a bizarre journey through the depths of international laws, the two sides not having signed the same version of the convention. And now I'm writing like this is the gentleman's board.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:29 am »
 Out of about 14 different places i lived in Moscow , my favorite has to be this one street that was built by german pow in the early 50s, just a lovely , lovely place, i wish you guys  could rebuild the whole country before that fat prick Khrushchev came to power =).