Author Topic: Long Bardiche  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Long Bardiche
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 06:46:18 pm »
Why do you think it was not 120cm long in the real world? Maybe, if you think about it, you might start to agree with me that the current version in cRPG is, indeed, a fantasy weapon. 
No, it's an exaggeration or misrepresentation of a REAL historical weapon.  Quite a difference.

Look at the weapon. Then tell me again that such a weapon can ever be balanced. Not even with a handle made of lead. And while it is certainly better at splitting things than a regular sword, it is nowhere as good as an axe, because an axe actually takes all this metal that is used for the blade in the cleaver and condenses it into one fat wedge.

But realism shouldn't be used as an argument to balance weapons in a game. As much as I dislike the current version of the cleaver, it is pretty well balanced.

I don't see why it wouldn't feel balanced given the size of the handle, and the width of the grip you would use with it.  Even in all the articles and manuscripts about the real choppers they are described as surprisingly balanced and provides amazing leverage.  Also with the accurate version only being 95-100cm long in total length, as a 2h'd capable weapon I see no reason to think it wouldn't respond fluidly.

Anyways, I understand that it's all about the herp derp shiny tinmen weapons and armor, but I think it's a shame that alot of the better looking more barbaric weapons are inferior all around rather than having their own proper niche other than being (sometimes) less expensive.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Long Bardiche
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »
Weapons from japanese cartoons are also exaggerations of real weapons. Where do you draw the line? For me, a fantasy weapon is a weapon that is unfit for real combat. I ask you again: Why do you think the real war cleavers were not 120cm long?

Also, you don't seem to know what balance means. It means two things: A) that the overall weight of the sword is not too high and B) that the center of mass is close to the handle, not the tip. It is simply not possible to make a weapon like the cleaver balanced. And to wield such a weapon one-handed...forget it.

But again, realism is irrelevant. What is relevant is balance compared to other 2h weapons, and, as I have said, and as you seem to disagree on, the cleaver does fine in this respect.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?