Author Topic: Long Bardiche  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Long Bardiche
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:41 am »
OP and popular isn't the same even though you like to think so since that allows you to scream 'Nerf archers, buff everything i use!*

I haven't actually called for a buff to any weapon, much less one I use OTHER than the ashwood pike.  And that wasn't even a call for a buff but a re-balance in order to give it a purpose.  Personally I don't care if ya'll nerf the long bardiche, I'll use it anyways because I like the look.  Just like with my Mancleaver even though it's the 2h sword that has no purpose, is unbalanced without shield breaking, and generally is meaningless in the scheme of 2h sword internal balance.  /shrug
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:18 am »
The mancleaver is good. The long bardiche is even better. Compared to the axes, it is a bit too good. Very long, okay speed and very high damage. Lower swing damage by 2 points and balance would be restored IMO.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:13 am »
The mancleaver is good. The long bardiche is even better. Compared to the axes, it is a bit too good. Very long, okay speed and very high damage. Lower swing damage by 2 points and balance would be restored IMO.

Works for me.

*I love the mancleaver.  But other than ultimate style points what do you mean by "good"?

War Cleaver
(click to show/hide)

Nodachi
(click to show/hide)

Highland Claymore
(click to show/hide)

Dadao
(click to show/hide)

Some have pierce (thrust attack), most are pretty similar overall except none of those are unbalanced.  Unbalanced is a pretty huge malus.  It's not that I think the Mancleaver is BAD, but rather it doesn't really have a purpose/place within the 2her internal balance (kind of like the ashwood pike, or say the broad short sword, etc.)  What's the niche role that other weapons don't do but better?  The most direct comparison is the Nodachi vs Warcleaver.  For 2 less cut damage you get the same 2her in function, only balanced and thus easier/more effective to duel/battle with.  As a bonus you get 2 more length also.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:12 am »
i imagine giving mancleaver +1.5 weight, +2 cut damage would make it useful for stunning lesser weapons while making it a scary one shot kill weapon

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 03:16:20 pm »

The Great Long Axe was over-nerfed a few patches ago, but that shouldn't be a reason to nerf the Long Bardiche, a weapon that is already a novelty. I just traded for a Mighty Long Bardiche; would you rather I conform and get a loomed Bec like everyone else? The Bec does more damage than GLB, GLA, LB, Flamberge etc on chain and above (i.e. everyone but archers and peasants, who would be 1-shot regardless).

Personally, I think there is a place for short, slow, hits-like-a-truck cut weapons in both 2H and pole; the axes should fit this role (raise axe damage by 2-3 across the board). The Bardiches should do a little less damage, since they are longer. However, don't get there by nerfing the bardiches, just buff the axes.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:58 pm »
Works for me.

*I love the mancleaver.  But other than ultimate style points what do you mean by "good"?

It doesn't get ultimate style points IMO, rather the opposite. With good I mean that it's very cheap, long, and hard hitting. Sure, it's unbalanced, which is a big disadvantage in 1vs1, but in battles, it doesn't matter much. I did well with GLB in battles. It's also unbalanced. Comparing it with the weapons you listed, I find it holds it's own very well. It's either longer, faster or does more damage than any of those. And it is cheaper than most.

I'm not saying the LB is op or something. It just makes those axes a bit obsolete IMO, atm. Lower cut dmg by 2 and it's ok. Or make it unbalanced, but then it has to be buffed a bit, maybe in speed.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 06:31:03 am »
Zag.  You highly undervalue the overall detriment of unbalanced.  It's rather huge in battle as well since it leads to both more tk's due to being able to stop your swing when some idiot teammate runs in front of you, or protect yourself when your enemy's teammate lunges in with a last second attack by being able to cancel the attack and perform the emergency block like with balanced weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I like unbalanced as a mechanic.  Most of my favorite weapons are unbalanced, however it truly is a large detriment.  Hardly balanced by a mere 2 cut or 1 speed point.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 07:52:15 am »
I have to agree with gorath regarding the warcleaver's unbalanced stat, needs a boost somewhere (damage)
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:20 am »
I have to agree with gorath regarding the warcleaver's unbalanced stat, needs a boost somewhere (damage)

It's already 45... besides I think it's used to sparsely because it looks like a giant butter knife.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:56 am »
It's already 45... besides I think it's used to sparsely because it looks like a giant butter knife.

To each their own.  In my eyes the Mancleaver is the most badass of all the weapons in the game.  It screams alpha male.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 10:11:15 am »
To each their own.  In my eyes the Mancleaver is the most badass of all the weapons in the game.  It screams alpha male.

Or, "Gorath is insecure about his manhood".

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:38 am »
Or, "Gorath is insecure about his manhood".

if this were the case, he'd be using a pike

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »
No, it looks like a weapon out of one of those ridiculous japanese cartoons, where most of the animation consists of scrolling backgrounds.

Well, I have played and am still playing with unbalanced weapons as well, and didn't/don't feel it was a big problem. Maybe I underestimate it, but that is my impression. I did fairly well with a GLB, and am not bad with a Morningstar either.

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 08:54:59 pm »
Bonus against shield should go with unbalanced hand in hand.
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 09:01:52 am »
Bonus against shield should go with unbalanced hand in hand.

That's always been my thought as well.

No, it looks like a weapon out of one of those ridiculous japanese cartoons, where most of the animation consists of scrolling backgrounds.

I guess.  Except it was a real weapon used in warfare.  It's basically just a large machete.
Maciejovski bible

Modern day replicas
http://www.renaissance-outfits.com/two-handed-full-tang-medieval-chopper-sword-36-p-321.html
http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-4666-two-hand-functional-medieval-chopper-sg-2213.aspx