Author Topic: Long Bardiche  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Long Bardiche
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 09:27:34 am »
I hate fighting with unbalanced weapons, but maybe I should so I stop being such a feintspammer by habit. I agree the warcleaver is slightly underpowered and it does look epic. A klappvisier and a mancleaver together is just badass. The warcleaver should get the unbalanced thingy removed and become 90 speed.

Oh wait, the long bardiche. It is indeed a very good weapon for its price, but I wouldn't call it overpowered really, although it could get a slight damage nerf.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:29:35 am by SgtTeeh »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:20 am »
+1
Bonus against shield should go with unbalanced hand in hand.

except the Dane Axes were not unbalanced, and this is what the long war axe and Great long axe were based off of.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 12:01:17 pm »
Then why do you barely see anyone use the long bardiche?
Because everyone uses the GREAT long bardiche?  :lol:

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »
Bonus against shield should go with unbalanced hand in hand.

Why? I see no link there, sorry.

I guess.  Except it was a real weapon used in warfare.  It's basically just a large machete.
Maciejovski bible

Oh, you want a 90cm 2h chopper? Sure, why not. You could also get one of the axes though, they are a bit longer, and have bonus against shields. Sticking with the fantasy-weapon? Thought so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 09:53:42 pm »
Sticking with the fantasy-weapon?

So just sticking your fingers in your ears while repeating Lalalalala is where you're at in this discussion then?  Good to know.

"http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1460"
"Medieval Chopper-not a name that inspires sonnets or reverence, but appropriate! If ever a weapon was designed to split helmets, we believe this is it. This style weapon appears in several other period manuscripts besides the Maciejowski Bible. Ours is copied from plate 21, "The Rescue of Lot," but appears on a few other plates. The single edged blade is broad and flat with a good, sharp edge. The two-hand grip provides a tremendous amount of leverage, generating a lot of force. This functional sword is an overall of 38 1/2" * Blade-32" long, 2" wide * Wt.-3 lbs. 4 oz."

38.5"
97.8 cm  Would work for me just fine actually.  Would be nice to make a "bastard" cleaver instead of a 2h'd one, like the Langes Messer.  Alternate between 1h/2h via the weapon mode key.  Also remove the unbalanced tag.  Or give bonus vs shields, either one.  /shrug.

Of course it's not like the Warcleaver is the only 2h'd sword that was enlarged OR shrunk down for visual impact here:

Claymore - cRPG 117cm - Accurately "The average claymore ran about 140 cm (55 in) in overall length, with a 33 cm (13 in) grip, 107 cm (42 in) blade, and a weight of approximately 5.5 lb (2.5 kg)."

German Zweihanders - cRPG 123cm - Accurately The Zweihänder could be up to 180 cm (6 ft) long from the base of the pommel to the tip of the blade, with a 120–150 cm (4–5 ft) blade and 30–45 cm (1–1½ ft) hilt. The weight could range between 2 kg and 3.2 kg (4½–7 lb). Some were shorter, though. Earlier versions, in particular, often had an overall length of about 150 cm (5 ft), weighing as little as 1½ kg (3 lb 5 oz).

Longsword/Bastard sword - cRPG 106cm - Accurately Weight avg. 1.5 kg (3.3 lb), Length avg. 105–120 cm (41–47 in).  Probably the most accurate 2her in cRPG.

2h'd axes - Firstly shouldn't really exist, all of these axes would be used via polearm grip, but that's another debate for another thread.  IE:  No such thing as a "2h" axe, only 1h and poleaxes based off of grip and usage. - cRPG 96cm (2h) 115cm (Pole aka valid "2h" axe) - Accurately . Average weight of an axe this size is between 1 kg and 2 kg (2 and 4 pounds). Proportionally, the long axe has more in common with a modern meat cleaver than a wood axe. This complex construction results in a lively and quick weapon with devastating cutting ability.
Based on period depictions, the haft of a Longaxe for combat was usually between approx. 0.9 m and 1.2 m (3 and 4 feet) long

Anyways, /geek

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:15:14 pm by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 10:26:22 pm »
German Zweihanders - cRPG 123cm

The Flamberge is a Zweihänder (152 cm).

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:24 pm »
The Flamberge is a Zweihänder (152 cm).

Then what is the German Greatsword?  Flamberge is it's own weapon afaik.
Granted Wikipedia is shit for most everything, but it's somewhat useful for quick references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame-bladed_sword
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweihander

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 11:49:59 pm »
The weapon is a Zweihänder, flamberge just means it has a wavy blade.
The German Greatsword is an XVIIIb I'd say.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 12:01:38 am »
There's something about swords that just makes you want to pick one up and go pillaging.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:35 am »
There's something about swords that just makes you want to pick one up and go pillaging.

Theres something about pikes that makes you want to conquer europe.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 12:05:43 am »
Theres something about pikes that makes you want to conquer europe.

Naw, man. Just look at those swords in Cmpx's link. Don't they make you wish you were born earlier? 'Cuz if they don't, you're not a man, you're a wo-man.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 12:39:13 am »
+2
Naw, man. Just look at those swords in Cmpx's link. Don't they make you wish you were born earlier? 'Cuz if they don't, you're not a man, you're a wo-man.

Not really.  Never been a huge fan of swords or knightly things.  I'd much rather have been born during the more barbaric periods with weapons that were made to maul, maim and cause mutilations vs quick deaths.  Back when there was no real metal armor protection and the screams of the dying and disembowled echoed across the battlefields for extended periods of time as they suffered from the wounds.  Waiting for someo merciful soul to come along and mercy kill them.  *Such as flamethrowers during WWII were far more epic than just standard guns.  Setting people on fire > Quick kills in terms of sheer epicness.*

The age of chivalry and honor is more akin to the age of boy fucking noble inbreeding bundle of stickss.
/rant
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:42:31 am by Gorath »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:56 am »
The age of chivalry and honor is more akin to the age of boy fucking noble inbreeding bundle of stickss.

Thanks for the new sig! + 1

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 03:21:50 am »

Combined arms tactics of Philip the Second turns me on harder than a sharp pointy sword

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 03:19:22 pm »
So just sticking your fingers in your ears while repeating Lalalalala is where you're at in this discussion then?  Good to know.

Why do you think it was not 120cm long in the real world? Maybe, if you think about it, you might start to agree with me that the current version in cRPG is, indeed, a fantasy weapon.

97.8 cm  Would work for me just fine actually.  Would be nice to make a "bastard" cleaver instead of a 2h'd one, like the Langes Messer.  Alternate between 1h/2h via the weapon mode key.  Also remove the unbalanced tag.  Or give bonus vs shields, either one.  /shrug.

Look at the weapon. Then tell me again that such a weapon can ever be balanced. Not even with a handle made of lead. And while it is certainly better at splitting things than a regular sword, it is nowhere as good as an axe, because an axe actually takes all this metal that is used for the blade in the cleaver and condenses it into one fat wedge.

But realism shouldn't be used as an argument to balance weapons in a game. As much as I dislike the current version of the cleaver, it is pretty well balanced.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?