Author Topic: [Applications] Item balancers  (Read 17464 times)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [Applications] Item balancers
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 09:13:14 am »
I could definitely sort out some of this mess.

Bring on the Infamy!

inb4 long war axe is FOTM.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »
+8
I am hereby announcing my candidacy for item unbalancing.

My platform will be one of ultra realism despite game unbalance.

The first step will be to introduce prices equal to these:
http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/medprice.htm

But with the consideration that a thatcher (average salery) was 2 pence a day and a plate armor cost 80 shilling and that average crpg tick is 50 gold a minute thus 3000 gold an hour hence 24.000 gold on a work day, we can assume that a 24.000 cprg gold equals 2 pence therefore a plate armor should cost 11.520.000 cprg gold.

I know it is a small first step, but it is important and will greatly benefit the future of this game.

Vote for me, vote for balance, vote for realism!

Oh and this for archers - everything for realism:
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Dima_Urban

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:04 pm »
+13
Greetings, I became interested in the game balance long time ago, I'm curious to find holes in the balance sheet as well as bring it into order.

In M&B and cRPG I play for a long time for all classes. I am the first who started to playing hardly one hander on the horse first in native then in cRPG, I was the firs one to build shielder with throwing lance (which was ridiculously OP). Also, any weapon with which I began playing was nerfed, even when it was not popular.

The main problem of inexperienced balancers, is that they listen to the unhappy part of the community demanding to nerf something, they nerf subject to the extreme, making it unusable, thus creating a new unbalanced item, creating a vicious circle of constant nerf. A striking example is originally an incredible buff unpopular side sword, and then his incredible nerf to the state unusable.

One the problems of the current balance are the old prices. The price of item should be dependant on its popularity and effectiveness amongst high leveled players.
Also in current balance we have a huge amount of weapons that are unused due to being plain bad (because they are cheap). War Axe, Battle Axe, Military Scythe and like half of onehanders are not even an option because they are only good to leech gold. In my opinion the vast majority of weapons should be useful(have unique plus).

And most importantly, I love every detail of the statistics, it is the main tool balancer and not the forum.

Expiriens:

Game Design:
-Http://sky2fly.ru/
-Http://imperz.ru/
-Urban Balance mod for M&B (one of the first mods in game)

Gaming:
-Medieval Total War II champion, best Russian player.
-Shogunat Total War II games over the last month did 500 wins 15 loses just using unpopular unbalance units tactics
-Many others games I play,I always quickly find unbalanced items, and quickly getting into the top.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:41 pm »
+3
Hey I'd like to apply for this job as Item balancer (if i get at least a small introduction where to do what)
I'm playing this game on a daily base since September 2010 and I made my experiences with each class already (I'm a high gen player (44)) so I think I know on what could be worked.
Currently I think it should be worked on the Longe Voulge and maybe still on some new weapons mainly
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:00 am »
Frank: Bringer backer of the lance of compensation. Will also help Bars fix the LV!!!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »
+12
I applied.
No resonse.
thread dead.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:59:43 pm by NejStark »
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 06:39:33 am »
I'd balance the crap out of dedicated swashbuckling weapons, yeah, you should hire me, been playing since 200x and I played a bunch of classes.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:03 am »
Old player. Impartial, as unable to play competitively. Very willing.

My body is ready
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 09:07:46 pm »
+3
Only post if you apply, + to show support

whoever plussed this is a fggt
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:46:18 am by darmaster »

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:16 am »
Hey there, I've been playing for a couple of years or so and been playing m&b and m&b warband even longer. Before mount and blade I was having fun playin the old age of chivalry mod. (precursor to chivalry).

I'd say the only industry experience I have in game development lies in the two employment contracts I worked doing Quality Assurance testing for big name developers.
In 2006 I worked for electronic arts doing QA and in 2011-2012 I worked for NamcoBandai games. Both were full time, 6 month contracts... around 1,000 hours each plus overtime.
I acquired a good deal of knowledge on the methods of a good quality assurance team and how it supplements their respective developers. I learned a lot about larger developers, their process of development and how the larger devs fail when they let a person who doesn't play games make decisions on game design. Ohyeah and I definitely know how to write a bug report...  :lol:

I also have a very basic knowledge of 3d animation in maya, as well as basic knowledge in java programming. I'm also pretty comfortable in photoshop.

I'd like to join the balance team to help the mod become more prolific by suggesting or implementing changes from an alternate perspective. In hopes that the changes would be received well by as large of a majority as possible.

Here's an example issue of something I would like to see brought to discussion.  :mrgreen:

Holding backswings
What I mean by holding back swings is when a player "winds up" to strike but holds it back until an opportune moment.
Why this bothers me:
In the game,when you hold a "wind up" and you see an enemy coming in for an attack, you can switch from that "wind up" stance to blocking any direction in a split moment. This is especially true with fast weapons.
In reality,when you hold a "wind up" attack or that kind of stance with a sword behind your back ready to swing, you open yourself up completely to incoming blows from the front, really your best defense at that point would be striking the opponent before he hits you or after you dodge an incoming blow. Maneuvering a sword from behind your back to a position where you could effectively block an incoming blow would/should not be an instantaneous maneuver.
What I would suggest as a fix: add a slight delay in the time between a full "wind up" animation/stance to the point at which the player can block, a very minor delay mind you. This, I would expect, would make it so that holding a "wind up" attack would become a more "offensive" combat stance keeping the same rewards it has now but adding a little more risk to pay for that advantage. (the advantage/reward being the fact that you will swing faster from a "wind up" stance from a neutral stance.  I would not have this affect 1h w/ shield and would ponder having it not affect polearm thrust.

Not sure if this quite classifies as "item balance",
But it is in my sincere belief that if you really want to effectively balance this game and make it more enjoyable at the same time, you need to do more than just edit weapon speed, weapon length, damage, slot requirement, armor values, weight, etc...

I hope you guys find a good item balancer that meets the criteria you're looking for, cheers.  :mrgreen:

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
I should balance weapons if u still need someone

Whai?  well I've started playing alot again, and I'm the oldest cRPG/ M+B players you have(unless someone can tie me for time played),  I'm not afraid to cut my own favorite class(2h), I play all classes(from ranged to 1h/2h/polearm)-well actually, ok I'm no good at cav but anything foot, I completely understand the weapon mechanics in this game as far as weight, animations, speed work, different kinds of damage, how armor works etc

I've probably played M+B games for a decade I think, I was playing first M+B when you could only get it from a weird lil web page nobody seemed to know about(pre/.7)

I'd like to contribute if u want help with anything so there u have it, even if its not this I'm an electrical engineer by trade(computer programming guy actually)

The current overall state of combat - good,  I can play on 2h/ pole or 1h and do between 1.5-2.0, on one hand it feels like a "best" cav can still outdo anyone else's "best", and that a "best" archer can't really dominate like old, but that throwers/ranged can definitely make life without a shield miserable,

feel like overall Power Strike is OP atm, tbh and that in reality agi/wpp is not equal to str/PS, not that perhaps it should be, but somewhere between that and where combat was when generations gave +10% xp a gen and wpp could go to like 212 and leveling was drastically different(I remember being level 38 once lol) and we had xp based on when people died near you

(REMEMBER ANY OF THAT LOL, if you do I may remember you)

I have over 3 years of playing this mod(I'm not sure actually the oldest screenshots I have now are from jan 2011, but I lost a hard drive, I'd have to look at old taleworlds forums to figure out when I started playing this), I remember when I first logged in and the website was just text and a white background, come along way and its been a fun ride, can't get what this game gives elsewhere for whatever reason....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:36:07 pm by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »
+1
I think the lazy devs never actually hired anyone.

:lol:

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:22 pm »
+1
I think the lazy devs never actually hired anyone
That's not entirely true.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »
Tydeus, are you part of the balancing team now ? I remember some posts from you that left me thinking you were, and I think it's great.

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:57 pm »
I can name at least 10 people of this community that have the skills to be devs of c-rpg