Author Topic: [Applications] Item balancers  (Read 17613 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: [Applications] Item balancers
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 05:53:05 pm »
+3
Tydeus, are you part of the balancing team now ? I remember some posts from you that left me thinking you were, and I think it's great.
<Shik> since tydeus is balance now
<Shik> i guess we finally have STFU okiN
<Shik> as our acronym

(click to show/hide)

Also, Item Balancers are not Devs.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 06:02:53 pm »
+1
Most of the applications seemed to have just been abandoned.  I am probably going to take back my post.  (Not like I had a chance anyways :p)

I tend to be that guy defending every item, claiming that a mechanic needs to be changed instead.  So item balancing may not be my thing.

It might make more sense for me to get involved with the behind the scenes stuff.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2013, 11:04:06 pm »
+4
I'd like to apply to help with item balance. I think that combat in the game is a bit on the slow side, and that blocking is a bit too easy now. I've played every class in the game, and have been a player and/or admin since the opening of the NA servers. My approach to balancing would be from a top-down perspective, ensuring that the core mechanics of the game are functioning as ideally as possible(ie, WPF), then balance the items around those core mechanics. I think the system of WPF progression is in dire need of being scrutinized more closely. Once that has been fine-tuned, balancing items around that system will be more meaningful. I've recently compiled all of the data from the old WPF system to do a side by side comparison with what we currently have in my non-official balance examination, and would love to bring my research and diligence to the table.

I like to think of myself as fairly unbiased, as I personally feel like every class/build in the game should be viable, good, and have it's own setbacks and limitations.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 12:00:43 am »
+1
I wish to join the balance team!

What I have to offer is a sound knowledge of all classes and no real predisposition to buff or nerf any class.

Ideally I want to see the great gamete of equipment have a purpose and a place and to "nerf" the whole golden weapon syndrome that happens from time to time.

I believe I can make a reasonable member of the team and take part in the debate in cogent and reasoned manner.

<<Caveat>> Please ignore every buff katana thread I have ever posted...

Vote FRANK Item balance team 2013 because you don't know what's good for you!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline slimpyman

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »
+1
id definitely join. im old and mature. I got hair on my chest and back.   

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:29 pm »
id definitely join. im old and mature. I got hair on my chest and back.

Hah, just the chest and back!

Offline xxAcexx

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ace
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2013, 05:48:03 pm »
I have played Crpg since the beginning and i have played every combination of classes. I have been through dozens of buffs and nerfs and sometimes i wish i could have a part in deciding since there are things that can definitely be fixed or tweaked for the better. I am active and Would like to be involved in balancing the game throughout future patches.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
+1
<Shik> since tydeus is balance now
<Shik> i guess we finally have STFU okiN
<Shik> as our acronym

(click to show/hide)

Also, Item Balancers are not Devs.

ok explain me then how that is balanced

Masterwork Miaodao
weapon length: 115
weight: 2.7
difficulty: 12
speed rating: 97
thrust damage: 0 pierce
swing damage: 45 cut
slots: 2
Can't use on horseback

I wanted to ask that for a long time
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2013, 02:06:22 am »

Masterwork Miaodao
Can't use on horseback

Masterwork Two Handed Sword:

weapon length: 110
weight: 2.2
weapon length: 110
thrust damage: 24 pierce
swing damage: 41 cut
Can't use on horseback
Secondary Mode
So in exchange for 5 length and 4 cut (and .5 weight) you gain a 24 pierce stab... doesn't seem all that unfair to me, maybe I'm wrong though, maybe the 2h stab isn't extremely strong, one of the best parts of a 2h, and word 5 length and 4 cut, I wonder...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline MR_FISTA

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 81
  • Prepare your angus
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoW
  • Game nicks: SoW_MR_FISTA_the_Retribution
  • IRC nick: SoW_MR_FISTA
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »
+1
I would like to be involved in the balancing of items If I were to be entrusted with this position I would improve the stats on certain items for example the often neglected 1 handed sword types, I believe that in particular attention needs to be paid to cutting weapons without the stab animation as lacking attack types should in my opinion mean improved stats in particular swing speed.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2013, 09:08:58 pm »
+2

Masterwork Miaodao
Can't use on horseback

I respecced to 2H recently and I started using a MW Miaodao.

At first I thought it was great, but then I picked up a MW Great Sword and I realised that the 2H stab is really a beast. I quickly got my hands on a MW Great Sword of my own and after I started using that I did much better on average.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:53 pm »
+2
Yeah I have to say 2h lolstab is a huge staple in a fight. Love it, hate it, use it, and love it some more.

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »
I would like to join the Item Balancing team. I have been playing cRPG for almost a year now and have gone through a number of generations using many different builds and classes - Agi & Str based two-hand, Agi & Str Polearm (with shield and without) 1-Hand, Archer, Crossbowmen, etc. I honestly believe I have a good sense of what weapons could use "buffs" and "nerfs."

As of right now, I believe that most - say 70% to 80% - weapons are balanced and don't need a change. I'll admit, I may be biased for keeping polearms strong and nerfing 2H, but everyone is a little biased, even if they don't admit it.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:44 am »
+6
I'll start with the reason why I should be added to balancing team:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 which basically means a lot. I've stopped playing seriously in November and I play all the different classes now just to see how things are balanced. I don't have my own class now so I can't be biased as others may be.

And now a little story about me and cRPG:
I've played cRPG since its very beginning, played each class enough to know all of its details. I'm playing Mount & Blade since 2009, bought Warband when it got released in 2010. From the first days in this phenomenal mod I'm trying to contribute as I consider it a payment for my good hours in it. I applied and got picked by cmp as one of the WSE2 client beta-testers and I reported a lot of bugs/suggestions, so for what you see in client you could not only thank cmp (which did an enormous and awesome job!) but also us, beta-testers, a little for helping cmp.

Some players may know me as the author of the guide http://forum.meleegaming.com/guides/crossbowery-basics-and-tricks/

I was trying to organize more contribution from players with this thread: http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/motivating-people-to-make-mod-a-better-thing/ but in the end I got stopped by a huge wall between players and devs which simply didn't let me use your money on something that wouldn't be added for 100% sure.

I worked on hitboxes which you can see in cRPG now. http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/player-hitboxes/ The work is not over yet, but there are less ghost hits/shots now (hand hitboxes got added at least).

I fixed some models like this i.e. http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/fixed-models/

I fixed collision meshes for a huge amount of items (unluckily a lot of them were not added, but it's a matter of time) http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/fixed-pine-collision-mesh/

I also tried to find and discuss any of those strange items, but mostly kept talking about it in IRC http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/my-item-balancing-thread/

I've suggested so many things (most of them were suggested in IRC, and a lot of that got added in the direct or indirect way since 2010)

I'm not keen on masterworks (I have a lot of them now again though, but I never took part in marketplace operations to gain money). I gave the whole masterwork set of my crossbowman to random people for free (2 of items went to devs/admins to serve the community needs) http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/auction-23817

Hereby I promise not to stop working on the mod and move on to the balancing team. I promise to use all of my experience and do my best to make this mod a better thing to play!

Unfortunately I have to retract my application because I can't guarantee I will have time for this in future. And I wouldn't like to take responsibility for something I'm not sure as it would be a betrayal of all those who supported me and motivated to do stuff. I told this to chadz like 2 months ago in IRC but I feel that I have to announce it to everyone because people sometimes wonder why I stopped doing things. It's a pity but none of my works during 2013 and last quarter of 2012 were added. The last were fixed player hitboxes and some model fixes in August of 2012. I did a lot of fixes/additions during that period of time, spent hours and days working for community but none of that got added. I can't even make a full list of what I've done because it's 2nd time I completely lose all the information of the stuff I've done, but most of what I did (which was ready to be implemented) was immediately sent to developers so they must have it on their PCs if they didn't remove it.

A small list of what I've done and it was ready to implement but didn't get in cRPG:
- Fixed collision meshes for more than 50 objects (can't even say the exact amount). The last version (didn't make new screenshots due to the amount of fixed objects) contained fixes for all main environment objects: all trees, all rocks and other natural objects. It also had some fixes of constructions (arabian houses, portcullis, some siege equipment)
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/fixed-pine-collision-mesh/msg572906/#msg572906

- Brand new balance system of items with levels of balance (so there are basically no ultimate weapons and no completely useless weapons). New item stats/classes were ready, almost everything was done (besides foot/hand armour, helmets and throwing weapons).
http://forum.meleegaming.com/game-balance-discussion/weapon-subclasses-or-how-to-reach-balanced-diversity/msg751082/#msg751082

- New horses with models/stats to fill breaches in diversity. The last version contained fixed models/textures and it looked much better than on screenshots (some parts got completely retextured by the demand of devteam). Also IIRC I've added 1 extra horse there.
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/more-horses-%28models-and-stats-are-included%29/

- New shields with models/stats. The last version had minor fixes in textures. I was also working on shields with spikes for future shield bashes.
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/new-shields-%28models-and-stats-included%29/msg790496/#msg790496

- New system for bows. The one which was suggested by me and implemented by cmp was done in the very simple way. All bows have the same length stat (300) so all of them slow you down with the same multiplier when you have them in your hands. Shortly after this suggestion I made calculations which would give each bow a unique length => short bows would gain advantage of being more mobile than long bows.

- Fixed Strategus demolitions. I was working on models with better and realistic destruction stages plus additional destructions so there are no significant constructions which can't be damaged by catapults. Also destructions for wooden castle/towns. I completed like only 20-25% of what I wanted to because there was a really huge amount of work but still some fixes were ready to be implemented.

- Fixed maps. I've started a campaign on fixing glitches on the maps and balancing them. Year 2011, a lot of maps were fixed, nothing got implemented.
http://forum.meleegaming.com/scene-editing/collection-of-bugged-battle-maps/msg75341/#msg75341

This is what I've done and I remember. There were a lot of other minor fixes and things that I will never recall again. I simply lost the entire motivation on working on this mod because working hard on fixes/additions/whatever else that will never have the use is just too much for me. I just want to say sorry to everyone for giving up.

P.S. Kulin and Tony, I won the bet :wink:

Offline Teddy bear

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Teddy_bear
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2013, 01:13:15 pm »
+4
My eyes bleeds from pronoun "I" in Dave's mssg, as ever.
TL but nevertheless read and understood, that whole evil dev.team should be gone and replaced by Dave only.
And sun will shine, and birds will sing.