Author Topic: So about that banner balancer........  (Read 6333 times)

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
Re: So about that banner balancer........
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »
LLJK is big because it's a goon clan. ATS is huge because it used to be about 8 different clans who all merged together because they couldn't do much in strategus on their own. But what happens, I think, is a self-sustaining cycle. Small clans have trouble recruiting because people would rather join clans that can accomplish things in strategus, thus small clans can't accomplish much in strategus, so they end up quitting and joining the large clans. Ect

The EU playerbase is much larger than the NA ones and so smaller clans have a larger field of people to recruit from. On top of that there are many more EU clans so they can more easily form up into alliances to survive. For NA, your choices are: LLJK and ATS for alliances.

You realise that you disagree yourself in your own post?
8 small NA clans merged to do something in strat but in eu they form an alliance to survive? so na clans can't ally?
na merges, eu ally. exactly what i said, many small clans vs one big clan.
That EU has a bigger playerbase is true so we have more small clans than NA would have.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2011, 07:16:50 pm »
I really like the banner balancer as is.  Of course ATS is gonna roll a bunch of unclanned people if that's the situation.  Usually there are other clans arrayed against them.  I haven't even really noticed a difference being on their team or not.  But I always bring clanmates with me.  If you really have a problem beating them then just change to an ATS banner yourself and you will get balanced to be on their side most of the time. 

I'd be really really upset if a bunch of whiney people got the banner balancer removed.  I really enjoy working with my clanmates on a team and practicing for strategus. 

There has never been a game in video game history where a group of random casual players could stand their ground consistently against an organized clan.  Just doesn't happen. 

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2011, 07:25:52 pm »
You realise that you disagree yourself in your own post?
8 small NA clans merged to do something in strat but in eu they form an alliance to survive? so na clans can't ally?
na merges, eu ally. exactly what i said, many small clans vs one big clan.
That EU has a bigger playerbase is true so we have more small clans than NA would have.

Who exactly would these small NA clans ally with? There are TWO land-owning NA clans(Northern Empire is one political bloc) to choose from as allies.

On the other hand there are TWENTY FOUR European clans that own land and control the lions share of the map.

I mean, why do you think there are almost no small NA clans? Do you think North American players just have a herd mentality?

The truth is the game is mainly populated by Europeans, so the majority of the clans are European, and the majority of the battles take place on European servers. This means the NA players end up having to band together in larger groups in order to be competitive.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2011, 07:29:51 pm »
Your sig is LOL, Gorath!

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frederick_Von_Spamberge, and >9000 alts.
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2011, 07:31:07 pm »
I really like the banner balancer as is.  Of course ATS is gonna roll a bunch of unclanned people if that's the situation.  Usually there are other clans arrayed against them.  I haven't even really noticed a difference being on their team or not.  But I always bring clanmates with me.  If you really have a problem beating them then just change to an ATS banner yourself and you will get balanced to be on their side most of the time. 

I'd be really really upset if a bunch of whiney people got the banner balancer removed.  I really enjoy working with my clanmates on a team and practicing for strategus. 

There has never been a game in video game history where a group of random casual players could stand their ground consistently against an organized clan.  Just doesn't happen.

And yet this is not a problem in other games.  In crpg. We have such a small community with only 3 NA battle servers.  In other games I could just join up on any number of servers that don't have/don't allow team stacking.  In crpg we don't have that option.  Maybe the balancer just needs more options that server admins can use.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
Grow up a bit and at least try to make a counter argument.

EDIT:  And its not about teamwork Gorath, like I said, I applaud you ATS guys and your teamwork.....but how are the rest of us supposed to combat that?  If the answer is "join a clan", well then maybe the server should be made clans only and passworded.
I agree. How are new people supposed to level up? It's also an unfair thing to do, because what if the other team isn't at all organized? It's just a group of players that don't know eachother and are not communicating on TS or Ventrilo.

And if you don't like what they're doing, you can always come to cRPG_The_Fallen_Ones if there's people there. You could also ask chadz to take it away, too.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »
Who exactly would these small NA clans ally with? There are TWO land-owning NA clans(Northern Empire is one political bloc) to choose from as allies.

On the other hand there are TWENTY FOUR European clans that own land and control the lions share of the map.

I mean, why do you think there are almost no small NA clans? Do you think North American players just have a herd mentality?

The truth is the game is mainly populated by Europeans, so the majority of the clans are European, and the majority of the battles take place on European servers. This means the NA players end up having to band together in larger groups in order to be competitive.

Ahem.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2011, 07:44:49 pm »
Alrighty you yahoos, I've already given so many people this information, and saw no changes, but I'm gonna try one more time.

There IS a Public TeamSpeak 3 server for NA players, and one for EU players

NA : dallas.jestservers.com port 7400. You can stay in the lobby, you can go to the crpg channel, or you can even make your own temporary or semi-permanent channel.

EU : 78.46.65.211 port 9987

With this information available, you people who whine have no one to blame but yourselves for not getting in there, and trying to make teamwork and tactics happen.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2011, 07:47:20 pm »

EU has a more player though most land is owned by EU clans sounds logical. But small clans can still ally with LLJK or ATS? EDIT: AND D'HARAN LEGION!! :D
Like we did with Brigade or Nordmen did with DRZ? How many real neutral eu clans are there which are not alligned either to DRZ or the Brigade?
LLJK owns a lot of land they could give a village or castle to a minor clan if they whish to claim their player base.
Even ATS could split up into 8 clans who are all allied, still be the same faction in Strategus and would not dominate a server so persistent.
What do you think EU server would look like if the clans who call themself UIF decide to use one banner?

Don't know if NA has a herding mentality but as you mention it, yes probably because NA is mostly one country (2 with canada), EU are lots of different countrys which form a union. ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:49:05 pm by krampe »
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »
but most of thoses people arent on vent or TS , most of theses people dont have dead people telling you where the enemy is on vent or TS

For the record, we don't do this. ATS considers ghosting an unfair advantage, and so we simply don't do it. If a person is dead, they cease to convey information about the game in vent. We DO, however, watch each other's back and tell each other things while we're alive, which is fine, imo.

The only time a dead man talks in vent to convey information about the game is when there is 1 guy left, and we don't know where he is. In that case, the only question asked and answered in our vent is this: "Is he fighting or hiding?"

If it's the latter, and some guy is delaying the game by hiding in a bush with no feasible plans to win the round, he gets kicked rather than killed anyhow.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:21 pm »
The only time a dead man talks in vent to convey information about the game is when there is 1 guy left, and we don't know where he is. In that case, the only question asked and answered in our vent is this: "Is he fighting or hiding?"

If it's the latter, and some guy is delaying the game by hiding in a bush with no feasible plans to win the round, he gets kicked rather than killed anyhow.

^
This.  We all hate ghosting, always have since we were a native clan.  And it's much easier to kick the hiding game delayer than tell someone his location and wait for them to run to it.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?