Author Topic: Nerf Elite Scimmitar  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Nerf Elite Scimmitar
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 06:51:54 am »
the niuoaaswsgre has post reach.

When did you guys buff the nyhuanyhuadado?
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 07:02:00 am »
the nerfwieuaiduaidado is my favorite 1h on agi 1hs.
but length is most important on strength builds.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:10 am »
Even before the patch - with over the top side sword - elite scimitar was one of the most used 1h weapon (with 31c). In this patch, it got buffed to 32c and is most often used 1h sword. Make it a on par with other 1h swords, don't make it automatic choice for power gamers.

Compared to NCS it have 2 more speed and 2 less reach (and lack 21p thrust, i assume it's a bonus as 21p is useless) and require 2 less strength.

Solution:
-increase it's requirement by 2
-decrease it's either speed by 1 or damage by 1

I'll have you know that even 21p thrust is not useless if you know how to use it.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 03:53:46 pm »
No one forces you to use Elite scimitar. There are nice 1h swords around, for example:

- Italian sword.
- Groose messer
- Niuweidao / Liuyeidao
- Scimitar
- Langes messer
- Short nordic war sword

Can I continue? Why you don't cry about niuewidao? Curved blade with 33 dmg, 101 speed and 88 reach.

-Italian lack damage and have not as good reach. Have good thrust but it's weaker power wise.
-Messer is decent but lack reach
-same, lack reach
-Reg. Scimi lack damage
-good, but reach count
-lack reach and damage is way too low

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »
It's the same as the other 1handers in that price range.  It has almost the same stats as the nordic champ sword only it trades a thrust attack and 2 range for 2 speed. 

And the reach not matching the model really isn't that bad.  I can understand complaints about the normal scimitar though. 

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 08:30:46 pm »
It's the same as the other 1handers in that price range.  It has almost the same stats as the nordic champ sword only it trades a thrust attack and 2 range for 2 speed. 

And the reach not matching the model really isn't that bad.  I can understand complaints about the normal scimitar though.

2 range for 2 speed is a lot. Thrust of NCS don't help much, it CAN kill someone from time to time, but it's often reason of death thanks to bounce. (yes you can control the attacks, but scimi can attack overhead with the same mouse movement like thrust and it's often better. 2 range for 1 speed would be fair. Also NCS have 13 requirement and ES have 11 (not to mention it's more expensive).

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 08:59:59 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

as you can see, the nsuniausniaunsianwedao has no ghost reach

Exactly what I meant with my first post here so for once, thank you.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 01:07:32 am »
The funny thing is that in reality long highly curved swords are not particularly fast at all. Their balance point is both far out (better hacking, slow recovery) and off the length axis which makes variation of the plane of the sword (wrist twist) much more awkward than in a straight sword. The last point is not so important for cavalry use, which is why they allowed their swords to be highly curved, but infantry swords tend to have a moderate curve if any.

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 01:11:38 am »
+1
At masterwork the elite scim is basically a 2hander with an autoblock and no stab.

(click to show/hide)

Wow...katana is OP

re-nerf

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 07:18:07 am »
2 range for 2 speed is a lot. Thrust of NCS don't help much, it CAN kill someone from time to time, but it's often reason of death thanks to bounce. (yes you can control the attacks, but scimi can attack overhead with the same mouse movement like thrust and it's often better. 2 range for 1 speed would be fair. Also NCS have 13 requirement and ES have 11 (not to mention it's more expensive).

You can't act like thrust attacks are irrelevant in a balance discussion because you don't personally like it.  Thrust is a 4th attack that pierces and increases your effective range by 40% or more.  If thrust isn't useful then a significant number of 1h weapons need to be buffed based on this information.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:53 am »
Thrust is support attack which works great on high agi/ath builds. You basically wait for the right moment looking like a low threat while the opponent engages the 2H guy next to you, then you lunge in with a thrust - the extra reach serves that purpose well and the pierce+speed bonus does the rest.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:57:59 am by MouthnHoof »

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »
-Italian lack damage and have not as good reach. Have good thrust but it's weaker power wise.
-Messer is decent but lack reach
-same, lack reach
-Reg. Scimi lack damage
-good, but reach count
-lack reach and damage is way too low

- Italian is a very balanced sword. Don't have the longer reach, or the high damage but is pretty balanced.
- Messer don't lack reach. 92 is enough.
- Scimi lack damage? Oh! It's just a joke. Maybe unloomed scimitar with 30dmg. MW Scimitar is 33 damage. Do you think that 33/35 damage is very noticeable? (+-3 dmg on "static hits"). +2 speed compensates -2 dmg. And it's a cheap weapon, that allow you to carry better equipment without losing money. The high damage you get on a weapon, the less noticeable difference. Try a 24/15 shielder hitting hard with scimitar. Sometimes with speed bonus I kill tincans on 1headhit. TBH I think that regular scimitar is the best 1handed sword (Speed, reach, damage, price). By the way, it's only my opinion.
- Nordic short war sword lack reach, but the speed is awesome. Try to block a feint and NSWS hit you before you can see that sword swinging.

Another question:

At masterwork the elite scim is basically a 2hander with an autoblock and no stab.

(click to show/hide)

You forgot something. Katana (2handed swords) get:
- Speed bonus (+5 from animation)
- Longer reach by animation (Thrust, swing, overhead) that 1h don't have. So you can't compare 2h with 1h because it's not the same mechanics.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:17:36 pm by El_Infante »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 03:20:54 pm »
The reason those shielders use that sword instead of the elite scimi is because of personal preference, be it stylistically or otherwise.  It's certainly not because of the stats.

No, it's the stats. Fast and damaging with semi-decent range.
Don't.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 03:27:03 pm »
You can't act like thrust attacks are irrelevant in a balance discussion because you don't personally like it.  Thrust is a 4th attack that pierces and increases your effective range by 40% or more.  If thrust isn't useful then a significant number of 1h weapons need to be buffed based on this information.
In theory a thrust is useful because it gives you an extra option in attacking. However, in actual fighting, particularly close to a wall or similar obstruction it can be a hinderance. Because the reality is that camera movement determines your attack direction, not mouse movement, you can have an object behind you and be trapped into thrusting by the movement of the camera when you didn't want one.

To return to scimitars, I've found they seem to be impossible to block sometimes: the animation for the blow looks strange: sometimes it's hard to tell an overhead blow by a simitar user (or a sabre user) from a sideways cut because the animation has a steeper angle. It's as if there's another attack which isn't either sideways or overhead, and you can't block or chamber because there's no correct response.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »
If I see an elite scimitar on the ground - I drop whatever I have and pick it up.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.