Author Topic: Other Worthy Games?  (Read 14053 times)

Offline Draedan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • wat?
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Draedan_PxC, Heavy_Set_PxC, Pure_PxC, GoreHead_PxC
Re: Other Worthy Games?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2011, 04:03:10 am »
TWO WORLDS II
An extreme upgrade from the first one.
It's pretty awesome.
Online content is the real seller but single player is worth it too.
I've been addicted to it on the PS3 since my graphics card fried.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:04:53 am by Draedan »
In chadz We Trust.
Hint #4: You can invite more men to your party at the tavern
(click to show/hide)

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2011, 06:04:48 am »
Also, it was nice and fluid for a while, but today, it became very-very laggy. I looked at the task manager, and DF was using 1 GByte of RAM, and 50% CPU capacity. That's a bit harsh, is that normal?
I deleted my older, (how to put it nicely) less successful regions and saves, restarted my PC, and still slow as hell. Haunted maps take up that much more hardware horsepower or what?

Hm. There are two harpies on level 2419. I'm on 140. Maybe handling 2300 levels is a bit much for the CPU.

DF is very CPU and RAM intensive.  It's not very well optimized and tracks tons and tons of data that increases as your fort grows older.  All those levels probably hurt quite a bit, too.  I've never seen anything fly that high before.  I do know people have generated maps with random spires of adamantine that rise up hundreds or in a couple cases thousands of z-levels above ground, and suffer horrible fps right from the beginning.

FPS Death or tantrum spirals are the demise of most forts once you understand the game.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

That's the wiki page for maximizing framerate.  The 3 biggest causes of lag are clutter, pathfinding, and fluid physics.  So keep your animal populations low or caged and designate paths for your dwarves to cut down on pathfinding.  Reduce clutter by selling or destroying unecessary items (especially excess rock).  And stop any flowing water that might be causing complex fluid simulation.  Fire is also bad, for more than FPS reasons... but it will really kill your FPS.  Another interesting trick is to mod clothes out of your game.  I removed all cloth clothing, so that everyone wears only leather clothing or armor.  It helped.  Less variety of stuff for the game to keep track of.  Less micromanagement for the player as well.

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2011, 08:08:10 am »
Sorry if anyone mentioned it before
MAGICKA
you can download the demo on steam, and if you don't like it come here and blame me.

cheers
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2011, 08:11:47 am »
Sorry if anyone mentioned it before
MAGICKA
you can download the demo on steam, and if you don't like it come here and blame me.

cheers
Funny thing is - you posted it just when I finished pondering of wether the game is or is not worth buying.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2011, 09:17:54 am »
Funny thing is - you posted it just when I finished pondering of wether the game is or is not worth buying.

Have already recommended it once in this thread.  I'll go ahead and recommend it twice.  It's a very fresh experience.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:02 am »
Il2 Sturmovik series
Hands down best wwII combat flight sim I know about. Also russian developer. My favourite aircraft was the FW-190. It models how bullets ricochets inside aircraft, if there is a hole in the radiator etc. You can manually work on the engine control with a shot-up plane.. Also has a huge amount of flyable aircraft and... It's also mp-online!

I like that one too, just test the difficulty of landing on a  moving aircraft carrier with a damaged seafighter, and having lost your flaps, or even landing gear inside the battle.

I like Company of heroes very much, it's a WW2 RTS game. It's made as realistic as it could be. When some guy get's caught by heavy artillery or a heavy tank shot (Tiger) he get's blasted into pieces, not bones, realisticly burned pieces. Soldiers who get shot start crying, coughing, screaming on the battlefield, and discover more awesome deaths:twisted:
This game is with capturing and securing territry to cut of supplies from your enemy.

Also check CoH: Tales of Valor, CoH:Opposing fronts

WIC, World in Conflict is a modern RTS, of WW3, Russia attacks USA in Seattle, after they attacked Western Berlin (~1980). NATO and US forces combine to drive back Russia. It has very realistic effects, but less realistic soldier deaths, this is more about vehicles. Nukes leave radio-activity, wich if your camera hovers in makes yor screen go unclear, or even black-out unless you move out the cloud. This game is not with buildings to produce your units, but reinforcements.

Also check WIC: Soviet assault

Offline ITHROWSHIT

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:08 am »

Offline Ninja_Totoro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2011, 09:46:43 am »
Garrys Mod. Over 4000 Hours spent on that gem of a game.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2011, 10:55:44 am »
X3 best game ever still, I wish I could describe it well enough without sperging out for ten thousand words

Didn't see this before  :shock:

But, it is indeed one of the best games ever. I only played X3 TC, not the previous ones, but it's fantastic. It's a weird genre - the best way to describe it is a space sim maybe.

There's a strategic side - the universe has lots of different sectors and different races control them, and have wars or border disputes with each other. There's pirates (any game with pirates is cool), the different races are well thought out and actually feel quite alien.

There's also a fantastic economic system, that is universe wide and contains lots and lots of different resources and production facilities. It is for example possible to have your universe (each played game will be different due to the many variables) go into a recession due to a chain effect from one factory not getting enough resources - its really complex. And the economics obviously affects the military side of things.
You can purchase and build factories or factory complexes, and have freighters to supply them, and eventually become an industrial tycoon with a trading empire spread across the universe.

The combat is also amazing. The interface seems complex at first, because it allows you to pilot ships by yourself (nearly every ship in the game is able to be piloted by you), and at the same time control a fleet of ships in a battle (you have to build the fleet first - buy ships and kit them out, which is expensive but fun - there's loads of different ships and weaponry), but once you play it a bit you realise the interface is perfect. It needs a little practice, but after that its really easy and intuitive.
The way it lets you pilot a ship but also control a large fleet is kind of like if M&B Warband combat system was combined with a Total War game (both fighting in and commanding huge battles), but in space.
Also, you can board ships (you could easily play the whole game as a pirate, stealing and selling ships).

You can also just travel round the universe looking at stuff. There's quite a lot to explore and things to see. And there's the enjoyable moments of entering a sector you didn't realise was hostile, seeing three huge battle ships waiting there and hearing the missile lock alarm go off :)

As well as the open-world type universe, where you can do what you want when or where you want, there are also lots of missions you can accept to get money, and 4 or 5 'main quest' plotlines, which you can do (or not, if you don't want to).

There are also a lot of very good mods for it. Though you have to be careful, because some of them are just cheat mods.

The only way it could get any better would be if they introduced an fps aspect where you could walk around space stations or go down to a planet's surface. But it's a content loaded game already.

Some negative aspects - it has a very steep learning curve the first time you play it. Getting used to the controls is a little tricky at first, and you'll probably get blown up by pirates or weird evil aliens. But there are easy starts (there are a bunch of different start scenarios) that can make that process a little less daunting.
There are a few minor bugs, but there are mods that take care of them. And sometimes the missions can get repetitive, and not all the plot missions have a great plot so to speak, but there are enough things to do that it isn't a problem.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, the atmosphere is terrific. The music and the sector graphics can really get you feeling like you're alone in a vast, uncaring universe as you pilot your little ship around. I think you can get deep space isolation symptoms just from playing this game. And then you get a weird feeling of relief when you finally dock at a station and hear the AI introduction programme. If you want a game where you end up taking solace from a robotic voice, this is for you!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:59:17 am by BD_Guard_Bane »
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2011, 01:04:53 pm »
I like Divine Divinity a lot. I always used the 2 handed sword you get near the castle that is a lil overpowered.

The Sword of Chaos you mean, at the Dwarven village? If you can get a freeze type of it, that's really overpowered, but fun.  :)
I have a problem with the game right now, I'm at the final "chapter", and the game won't teleport me to the wastelands, hurr.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:05:56 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Ache

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2011, 01:44:25 pm »
Jedi Knight Jedi Academy  :D

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »
The Sword of Chaos you mean, at the Dwarven village? If you can get a freeze type of it, that's really overpowered, but fun.  :)
I have a problem with the game right now, I'm at the final "chapter", and the game won't teleport me to the wastelands, hurr.

hmm it was some time ago so i dont fully remember =(

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:49 pm »
Neverwinter Nights!

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »
http://www.garrysmod.com/
The best game ever. Hands down.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Gmod 10 is about $7.99 (You also need a game with the Source Engine like Hl2 or CS:S)
Gmod 9 is free, but is much less advanced and populated than Gmod 10.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:16:38 pm by Whalen207 »
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 10:17:02 am »
Magicka
Minecraft