Poll

Good Idea?

Yes, Good Idea.
27 (54%)
No, Not a good Idea.
23 (46%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Xbows Idea  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Xbows Idea
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »
please add time based recoil to crossbows ...
not unlimited aim time w/o any recoil spread

Offline Paprik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:11:33 pm »
please add time based recoil to crossbows ...
not unlimited aim time w/o any recoil spread

that doesn't make any sense though... I know adding a Power skill for crossbows is probably not realistic but it's one of the few ways to make crossbows cool without everyone being able to use them.

Offline Torak

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninjas
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Torak, Ninja_Ice_style, samuria_Torak
  • IRC nick: Ninja_Torak
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:19 pm »
that must be the most stupid ide ever it would be so unrealistic the thing is you get unlimited but you can't move and reload and it takes more time vs the archer ho can shoot up hes arrows in 2min wery bad idea
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Clockwork

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Taylor Gang or Die
    • View Profile
    • Taylor Gang
  • Faction: Taylor Gang
  • Game nicks: Keith_the_Awful and TGang_BlackAndYellow
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »
Tolak speak english when u post on the forums lol.

The reason the xbow does have a recoil spread effect is because it is on a trigger. You pull back the string to a certain point and that point holds the string and bolt back and when u pull the trigger it moves/drops the thing holding the string under tension, firing the bolt.

Unlike the bow it is held back by the pure strength of a player, so really no power shot is neeeded for an xbow because the only stength being used by an xbow player is that to pull back the bow string to the fixed point, not to hold it there.
You know what it is...

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 11:47:42 pm »
I get what Dwarden is saying - it's heavy, you can't hold a steady aim indefinitely. On the other hand, ingame you can't rest it on a wall, etc, etc - like you normally can, and would. So it doesn't make sense, ingame.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 12:14:05 am »
PD skill have been talked about over and over and over and quite frankly, I really doubt it would ever work. Just look at what happened with bows a couple of patches back. A WPF req would do nothing really, and make no sense ingame either. Why even risk the upkeep for a weapon you can't use. And if you have the reqs you are probably gonna use it anyway.

Nah, if anything, something new and imaginative as you suggested, would be the way to go. Maybe it's time to think harder? (Those two things you suggested have been discussed in months.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:17:22 am by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:29 am »
fail :>
Monkeys!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 01:22:08 am »
The problem with the idea of adding a PD requirement to xbows (for whomever brought that up) is that xbows are in every way sub-par compared to bows.  The only redeeming value of them is that they require less investment, but you also get less return.  I have an xbowman (Phael - 1h@110 wpf, xbow @120 wpf) and other than the lulz factor I'm rolling up a thrower instead.  The reload rate for xbows is far too long (I use a regular crossbow, the one in the direct middle) for the damage output, even with a hefty wpf investment.  If I'm going to spend skill point on PD for a ranged weapon a bow is a far greater return for the investment, or throwing for that matter.

With the reload speed the way it is, and the damage nerf combined they really perform rather lackluster as a dedicated weapon build.  It's more a weapon (still) for someone without any investment to pick up and use as an emergency shotgun.  Siege I can shoot a few bolts, but in battle servers I may get off 3-4 shots and then it's melee time as the teams collide en-masse.   Before it was ok, because at least you knew that that bolt would drop the person if you hit.  Now I can put 2-3 bolts into someones body before I drop em with the siege xbow.  The regular xbow takes another shot to drop people.

Just my thoughts on that idea about PD anyways for whatever it's worth.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 03:01:52 am »
How about an xbow skill that increases reload speed instead of damage/accuracy? That'd be neat.
On it.

Offline KyndridOLD

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Not retreat, attacking in the other direction.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kyndrid
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:18 am »
That's pretty much exactly what the wpf does...

Making the wpf do more [faster+more accurate], and keeping the lowered damage [perhaps a little higher than now], and lowering the overall cost seems like a decent way.  Realistically, there weren't "dedicated", "expert" crossbowman in the sameway there was archers and swordsmen, the weapon was MADE for unskilled fighters or as a backup, which is what it should be in the game.  If you want a ranged character, make an archer, if you want something to take out that pesky unarmored archer or HA, then buy a crossbow for back up.
"so when the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never

because the dance with the devil might last you forever"

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 04:24:36 am »
Just remove 2h weapons and shields that are carried along with a crossbow, like you do with ladders of the defending team in siege mode. Or make crossbows and 2h weapons and shields occupy 2 slots, so that it's impossible to bring along cb, bolts and 2h or shield. This would also remove the shield + 3x throwing weapon guys.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Stokes

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stokes52, ArcherStokes, and now by popular demand: ThrowerStokes
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 06:42:33 am »
Considering Crossbows are the only ranged weapon that can be used with NO skills other than WPF, they can be aimed for an indefinite period of time, and they still do more damage than archers, I don't see the problem.

I have 122 Xbow proficiency on my main, I use the heavy crossbow with steel bolts... I have NO problems getting kills... In fact I get WAY more kills than on my dedicated archer character.

As far as the Siege(Sniper) Crossbow goes, yeah it got a huge nerf, but so did the Flamberge, So did the lolaxe. These high tier weapons now take a special kind of patience and skill to use, and they are not necessarily "better" than their less costly counterparts, just different. Slow, but powerful - not too powerful, but still very strong.  I like the change.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 03:32:59 pm »
Considering Crossbows are the only ranged weapon that can be used with NO skills other than WPF, they can be aimed for an indefinite period of time, and they still do more damage than archers, I don't see the problem.

The problem is the cost is too damn high for the output you get. Long reload time + having to actually hit some one 3-4 times before they die means you get a lot of assists not kills. Only kills I get is some one whos running around with low health and all I did then is just put them in the ground before some one else. Do more damage than archers? dps wise this just isn't true.  With wpf our aim is little better than throwers, we have around the same damage as throwers discountign their boost with PT, we have around the same range (xbows a little bit farther albeit you won't hit anything that far away) and a much slower attack speed, so why should we invest any points into this dumb wep.

DPS wise xbows are a joke, and I'm ok with that as long as the price reflects this which they currently do not. Historically xbows were used so much because of they were eays to use (we have this 0wpf and still usuable) and they were cheap! Why can't we have some really good expensive xbows and then some cheap ass ones that every one can use that does little bits of damage? I'm more concerned with how these prices will effect strategus then crpg. My xbow build won't have any xbows to use if we would have to pay 7k per 100 regular xbows.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:27:16 pm by Fallen_CrassiusV2 »
On it.