Author Topic: Why do people play Battle so much?  (Read 8337 times)

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
Re: Why do people play Battle so much?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:12 am »
Server lag combined with my computer's general crappiness.  On battles I can barely reach 80 FPS, with siege... okay look I'm fine playing 90-108 ping.  What I'm not fine with is combining that with a maximum of 40 FPS, because then I might as well be playing from Malaysia.  And unlike Aspalar, I am not a magical unicorn.
-idlewind

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 07:40:08 am »
I really don't find battle more balanced at all. Because there's pretty much almost no auto-balance whatsoever, usually one team wins nearly ALL of the rounds before the map starts. If you're on the losing team, you're stuck with losing. I don't think it's any more tactical than siege either, and I play on pericores (EU) and both NA battle servers every day. The only tactics to be found is "go left," "everyone wait on this hill," etc or clans organizing shield walls by themselves (and then absolutely fail once it's broken).
It does feel more collective though, as it forces people to mostly stay together.

I find siege more fun because I like working towards objectives despite being harder to farm XP because of mass autobalance (though this is probably a good thing). There are a handful of horrendously unbalanced maps but that's more to do with the server admins and map makers approving of them rather than the gametype itself. If only there were more objectives/zones to capture/hold around the castle to make it more strategical -- also having a ticket-based respawn rather than having a timer might be something worth exploring with.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:43:34 am by bilwit »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:38 am »
Most ppl havent played siege with their factions it seems.
Whenever HRE gets a decent amount of players on one siege server, we can be a decisive factor. Always.
:lol:

But hes from the same opinion as me : Battle became boring for me a long time ago. You get pewpewd and lanced all the time and have to wait ages for respawn. Thats why I prefer Siege tbh. You get pewpewd but after 5-30 sec you respawn and can kill the bastard that killed you.-

Offline Apostata

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_John_Applebottom
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 10:59:03 am »
I bought this game to play it, not sit for 2 minutes watching other people fight.

Read a book or something else rather then. I used to study back in early day of cRpg while waiting for respawn. Was worth it.

The most important problem with battles are players themselves. You've got lanced because you ( or your team) had give them opportunity to do so. Some better way of cooperation would make battles more immersive, but..well it's a hero game. Players have possibility to kill tremendously well on their own with no real death penalty, than waiting for respawn or cutting their income for a relatively short period of time.

If some kind of stamina was present in concept of Warband, it would ease everything a lot. Game would be more static as formations could supremely rule when there are no heavy armored and constantly running 2H spammers. Bows would lost their need of accuracy and got use in numbers..*sighs*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:15:49 am by Apostata »

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:33 am »
its true that players spawning does cause lag.

tbh i'd be happy with a battle mode which has master of the field every round which maybe starts earlier to make the rounds much shorter. this way you still spawn once but are never waiting too long to spawn cause round ends soon and plus there will be no lame campers or horse archers prolonging rounds.

this new mele only server is fucking brill tho

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 04:11:27 am »
I play battle because death matters. People behave differently in that scenario. Without it, it is just a game of spawn, rush, die, spawn, rush, etc,etc. The idea that battle is just "people doing whatever they want" is simplistic at best. Tactics evolve and players who adhere to them find that they have x5 much more often.
Also, alt tabbing and doing something else just slows down your development as a player. If you want to know why that guy is 21-2, when you die, follow them around.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2011, 05:52:30 am »
I wonder why no one mentioned that walking around in itself can be nice as well. Seeing the nicely made maps. Well counts for both mods i guess. But in battle i can find ways were rarely anyone goes and which are mostly out of site of the main battle groups so i am able to sneak behind the lines, while doing that i enjoy the landscape. Thanks map creators.

When i started crpg i got pissed by the waiting times in battle and was more on the siege servers. There i got pissed by the tks and ths.

Overall i thought that it would need more skill to survive a round without getting killed, not even making a kill but not getting killed and perhaps somehow contribute even to the team on battle maps. I couldn't see that i could make that much of a difference in the start on siege maps.

If you get better you are not only a meat shield anymore for good players, but you can actually kill stuff, then again on battle, things stay dead so you really have done a difference, at least it feels that way to me.

To get better i actually used the spectator mode a lot in the beginning to spec those who are topping the board to learn some tricks from them and i not only got used to spectating i started enjoying those a lot. Equally if one of the other team or one of my team beats 2+ guys in the end i admired their skills for that. Meanwhile with my clan mates it is better then watching a thriller :) just need popcorn and it is perfect.

I agree with Mega that you can do more XP as a clan or well organized team on Siege, but i never got into a mod for xp reasons only, otherwise i would had farmed dtv as long that was highly XP farmable.
I go to siege when i have some bad maps on battle and need to kill something without much carrying over me getting killed in the process.
A nobrainer in the sence it is not that stressfull/demanding then battle.
Nevertheless easily being up the board. As a clan we also go in the late hours from time to time on siege, mostly because to get out of the battle routine and doing something different.

In siege when you are up the walls or though a backdoor it is surly more melee orientated, but with archers and cav it is like with salt in a good meal you need it to enjoy it, but if there is too much ... you know. So even if i rumble about those frigging ranged my old friends ;) i wouldn't want to miss them and in battle they are more dangerous to me then on siege(respawn who cares what killed me last time).
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2011, 10:25:51 am »
I agree with Mega that you can do more XP as a clan or well organized team on Siege, but i never got into a mod for xp reasons only, otherwise i would had farmed dtv as long that was highly XP farmable.
That's how HRE is different from any other clan in crpg.

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
I would stay only on Duel servers if there was more ppl on it, Battle servers are getting out of control with all the Ha's, Archers and Cav's...
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2011, 02:48:08 am »
Coz battle is where real men fight, while siege is were the kids, mental disabled and morons in general usually play. Battle is where the real battles actually happen, where the epic moments are seen. Where if you kill 15 guys of the other team in 1 round it will really matter. Where ppl will run away from you if you did a carnage in the last round etc etc etc. While siege is just a spam fest where no one gives a shit about hitting their team mates. Where archers are sooo bad they hit they team mates just to hit something... and  a long etc i wont say coz it would depress me. These are the main reasons i believe. Salute.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2011, 08:23:47 am »
While siege is just a spam fest where no one gives a shit about hitting their team mates. Where archers are sooo bad they hit they team mates just to hit something...

It's the same thing in battle too, you know.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2011, 08:52:26 am »
It's the same thing in battle too, you know.
Not even close ...
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2011, 09:23:55 am »
Not even close ...

Last I played people were kill-hungry as fuck, if there was one enemy 5-8 of our guys rushed it and made countless teamhits to kill that one straggler. It's horrid.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:54:28 am by Vibe »

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 09:26:21 am »
Last I played people well kill-hungry as fuck, if there was one enemy 5-8 of our guys rushed it and made countless teamhits to kill that one straggler. It's horrid.
Yes, but you know, its not the same in open field than on top of a wall with a square metter for 20 guys. Its like you should take more care in such situations... but not XDD

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 09:55:39 am »
Yes, but you know, its not the same in open field than on top of a wall with a square metter for 20 guys. Its like you should take more care in such situations... but not XDD

Hm yeah, I admit siege is a bit worse than battle when it comes to this. But in battle the consequences of TA/TK are much more harsh (for the team/yourself).