Author Topic: Why do people play Battle so much?  (Read 8615 times)

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
Re: Why do people play Battle so much?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »
can someone tell me why some matches end in a draw, and others a flag appears?

why cant all matches a flag appear?

cause some weeaboo bundle of sticks thought it would be cool to run to the other side of the map to make the other team lose their x5.

yeah nice tactics battle has, just camp here camp there and draw the match if you cant win.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:18 pm »
can someone tell me why some matches end in a draw, and others a flag appears?

why cant all matches a flag appear?

cause some weeaboo bundle of sticks thought it would be cool to run to the other side of the map to make the other team lose their x5.

yeah nice tactics battle has, just camp here camp there and draw the match if you cant win.

Because on some maps the map maker didn't place the MotF entry points (up to three locations the flags can randomly spawn if its looking like it will be a draw.)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:22 pm »
Players killing each other also prevents the flags from appearing.
Don't.

Offline Baron Samedi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:20 pm »
it was really fun on the pecores server yesterday, we polled open plains 3 times when a new game started, every team had a leader that was really commanding(don't remember any names, though there was a guard...) it was the best day i ever played c-rpg. constant shield walls, cav flanking and taking down other cav. archers behind the shield walls. and so on.

Yea i was there too, Guard_Alric was in command on our side, i don't know who the other leader was (the points is that we won, so his name won't be remembered  :twisted: ). But it happens actually quite often when people get tired of being rolled over. Random is biutiful.

About the main topic : +1 to chadz post.

I think that the MOMENTUM of attacking or defending makes the difference. No matter how many you've killed, but if you succeeded or failed in your task (took the wall, opened the gate, backdoored, etc). Sometimes the players that wins the game don't even kill a single man (but they feel quite frustrated for the very same reason).
It's true in battle too though : an archer striking down the horse of a top lancer saves dozen of life but won't see it on the board...
nah, its an excuse for my shitty scores.

Hahaha...

Most ppl havent played siege with their factions it seems.
Whenever HRE gets a decent amount of players on one siege server, we can be a decisive factor. Always.

Teamplay, communication and killing the right ppl gets rewarded soooo much better in siege. You can do ~ 1.2mill / 40/50 k gold easily in 4-6 hours.

All in all siege is much more rewarding for a team playing together.

Battle is a school of awareness  against cav. / archers.

One thing is for sure, both gametypes are highly demanding when planning to get high multiplier, siege is more rewarding though.

+1
I've been messing with and against you guys on siege. To see 7-8 HRE taking foots on the walls which lead directly into the flag is terrifying.

In the meantime, when does EPIC mode comes out ? and where's the topic ?  :mrgreen:

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 04:28:51 pm »
Battle requires less teamwork than siege.

If you kill someone in battle, he stays dead. You just helped your team, no matter where, how and why.
In siege, killing someone has no value in itself, unless it happens at the right time in the right place.

This is also the reason why most pubbers, including me, don't play siege often - the amount of teamwork needed for the game to be REALLY funny and challenging is more or less impossible to achieve. That's why battle is better suited for pubbers.

I still hope I can pull off the most epic gamemodes of em all:
2 opposing forts, more or less a lot of land in between, capturable spawn points in between (so inf doesn't have to walk that long), buildable siege equipment, gamemode: capture the enemy base while you have to defend your base.

I will call the gamemode "Epic".

Edit: if you want to help me create a prototype map for Epic, pm me.

In order to also make the multiplayers fair, so it doesnt take an eternity to jus get x2, the mutipliers should be based on how your team does in the game - ie. when you have X spawnpoints you get a better multi and stuff like that (this is not thought through at all, don't come with dumb comments about possible ways to abuse it)

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:27 pm »
Hahaha...

Most ppl havent played siege with their factions it seems.
Whenever HRE gets a decent amount of players on one siege server, we can be a decisive factor. Always.

Teamplay, communication and killing the right ppl gets rewarded soooo much better in siege. You can do ~ 1.2mill / 40/50 k gold easily in 4-6 hours.

All in all siege is much more rewarding for a team playing together.

Battle is a school of awareness  against cav. / archers.

One thing is for sure, both gametypes are highly demanding when planning to get high multiplier, siege is more rewarding though.

The difference is that it's easier to teamplay and win with a couple of clan members on a siege server due to it's melee dominated nature. Battle needs more teamplay on a global scale. The risk of getting backstabbed on a siege server is lower (no cavalry, at least not on the walls...unless you're a merc), and since the walls and towers usually are narrow pathed, it's mostly a matter of whoever has the best timing and blocking skills (where experienced faction members usually excels).

But I'm done here posting boring posts. Both battle and siege requires teamplay/tactics and can be exiting and adrenaline pumping in their own way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:54:29 pm by Lezard »

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »
I have mixed feelings about this subject. I like battle when the teams are roughly even, you could say the same of any mode, but for me this is essential to enjoy battle.

Noone likes being on the team with no ranged or HA vs a team full of it, in siege you can still win against this due to the scenery, in battle it's usually a no chancer.

However I will concede that battle usually attracts the more skilled players, unfortunately the way it works doesnt really benefit me. Im a routine learner, I get better from doing the same thing over and over and changing it here and there based on my mistakes and my enemies. Battle doesnt really allow me to do this, I die because I made a mistake but then I have to sit and wait and fume over it before respawning.

By the time ive respawned ive got a bit lazy waiting and make the same mistake again. This is as opposed to those people who work best in short bursts of inspirational learning, they learn quick and fast and have the patience to keep their mindset right until they come back if they die.

Siege helps me to be a better player because im constantly coming back to improve on my faults quickly and when they are in my mind, instead of waiting 4+ minutes and then doing the same thing wrong again. If I play on siege then switch to battle I often do much much better, than if I had played just on battle.

Of course this is just me, I dont dislike battle, but sometimes I prefer siege.  :D
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 09:02:51 pm »
Battle requires less teamwork than siege.

If you kill someone in battle, he stays dead. You just helped your team, no matter where, how and why.
In siege, killing someone has no value in itself, unless it happens at the right time in the right place.

This is also the reason why most pubbers, including me, don't play siege often - the amount of teamwork needed for the game to be REALLY funny and challenging is more or less impossible to achieve. That's why battle is better suited for pubbers.
Siege takes too much teamwork for a pub. So much that winning generally comes from a map being unbalanced, not because one team played slightly better than the other, or in the case of defenders, they could dominate for the first 5 minutes then get some unlucky deaths on their team and lose the entire round. Especially when there are few players on, one untimely death for a couple defenders is enough to lose the round, regardless of how long they were alive or how many people they killed, which is terrible considering how balance is done. Often times it seems like there are 2 highly skilled players carrying 10 gen 1s while the other team has 20+ average players, where the two highly skilled players make up 50% of their teams kills, so if they both die at the same time, it means their team loses(I can't recall how many times this has happened to me, it's probably the biggest reason as to why I don't play siege).

Unless it's the middle of the night, your clan won't be able to really utilize their teamwork due to there being too many players on the server and banner balance taking a back seat to other types of balance. Ladders can screw up game balance so much that regardless of what the defenders do, they'll never be able to hold the walls. Trying to break down 5 ladders going up all at once at separate areas of the castle while defending the gate and the siege tower when your team is comprised of 80% pubbies 10% your clan and 10% another clan, is frustrating and nigh impossible. It would be completely different if it consisted of 80% clans and only 20% randoms, but that -never- happens.

Respawns are another problem with siege. You're supposed to be utilizing teamwork but respawns themselves only serve to break-up teamwork. For defenders, you spawn in random locations, so even if you're trying to stick with your clan, you have to deal with being dead for 30 seconds and the time it takes to run back to where they were when you died(assuming they haven't moved from that location in the 45 seconds to a minute that it took you to get back). For attackers, if you die and the rest of your group doesn't, you're alone for the next 30 seconds or so, unless the rest of your clan dies as well.

Most games now-a-days have adopted either a wave respawn or the ability to respawn near your squad/brigade leader because they've realized the limitations on teamwork due to respawn mechanics. Battle doesn't have this problem because there is no respawning during the round.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:04:20 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »
Unless it's the middle of the night, your clan won't be able to really utilize their teamwork due to there being too many players on the server and banner balance taking a back seat to other types of balance.

4 people working together is enough to tip the balance on most good maps.  Even though some clans stack, it doesnt mean they are working together in the slightest.  They're so used to battle all they do is go farming kills, chasing peasants down for easy stats.

At least players like Spook will kill their way TO the objective.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 02:58:00 am »
siege maps are never balanced, partly because variables like amount of players matter more.

battle mode it matters less if map is not balanced. battle is just generally more balanced.

but waiting 5 min to respawn can be very dull.

I would like to see a mode with objectives but balanced symmetrical maps. like instead of one team spawning inside castle spawn both teams outside it and both try and take it. or have 2 opposing keeps, think 2fort in tf2. while I could prolly learn how to make a good map I could never do the coding stuff.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 03:02:16 am »
ok I just read chadz post and whilst i'm estatic hes doing the game mode I want, I would like to say I've suggested it along time before today  :twisted:

Offline Grimm3r

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 03:02:30 am »
The objective of battle seems to be the simplest: kill all of your enemies.

Battle mode's simplicity and focus on combat as opposed to say more organized objectives like castle storming and flag capping may play a role in drawing people in.

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 03:22:57 am »
Believe me, the morons will still be playing Battle in their plate. Even with epic gamemodes.
We need something that is easier than Battle with the same rewards. It will be filled within days.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:25:23 am by DrTaco »
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 05:36:44 am »
Believe me, the morons will still be playing Battle in their plate. Even with epic gamemodes.
We need something that is easier than Battle with the same rewards. It will be filled within days.

Isn't that free for all with no respawn timer?
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 06:41:27 am »
The server lag is still the main concern I have about game modes other than battle.  Anything more than 64 players (which WB was designed for as a cap) just seems to start that server lag that just gets worse and worse even on battle.  Add in respawns and it gets really wonky.  Most of the guys I have chatted with on VoiP joke about how siege is for when you feel like spamming because it's not like you can block or feint properly due to the lag anyways if there's alot of people on it.  Maybe it's just the server though.  In PxC we loved siege before it got really populated (40 or less players) because of the objective based teamplay over battle.  But at the end of the day, battle lags less.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?