Author Topic: The slot system removes hybrid choices.  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: The slot system removes hybrid choices.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 11:09:06 am »
Lies, that build is only possible at lvl  34 if you convert 12 skill to attribute

i disagree:

Level 32 (17 784 806 xp)

Strength: 24
Agility: 21
Hit points: 59
Skills to attributes: 16
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 8
Shield: 0
Athletics: 2
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 128
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 128
Throwing: 1

Ninja edit from the guy i quoted :D
original post: "That build is not even possible at lvl 34"

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 12:27:21 pm »
Lies, that build is only possible at lvl  34 if you convert 12 skill to attribute

Whoops, typo. God forbid I hit a wrong key. It was 7 PS, 21/21 build, lvl 30 skip the fun on my other account with I think 3-4 athletics, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »
lol, who changes their story?

Gorath or Jacob?

hmmmmm  :rolleyes:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
lol, who changes their story?

Gorath or Jacob?

hmmmmm  :rolleyes:

Why am I getting tossed under the bus on this one?  I never posted anything saying "I have had such and such build at such and such time/level".  That's Jacob's bag.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Bigfoob

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 10:57:10 pm »
I suggest we take off our dresses and end this little tea party

Back on topic.
back on topic.

Slot system was designed to end most hybrids. An archer shouldn't be able to fire at me with a massive bow and then pull out a massive flamberg to fight on nearly even grounds against me. The system works well.
Why shouldn't an archer be able to use another good weapon? Not having a melee weapon is like running out with fists and having to use 1hs is completely gimping archers. The things that give a pure an advantage is that hybrids use skill points on that stuff.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 11:03:01 pm »
Back on topic.Why shouldn't an archer be able to use another good weapon? Not having a melee weapon is like running out with fists and having to use 1hs is completely gimping archers. The things that give a pure an advantage is that hybrids use skill points on that stuff.

No. There's a reason we limit archer weapons in native MP. Being a force to be reckoned with from a distance and being a force to be reckoned with when the opponent is in your face is not conducive to good game balance. Every class needs a strength and a weakness. Pulling out a flamberge or a bec and dealing just as much damage per hit as your opponent after peppering them with the best bow and arrows does not support this balance.

There are many great 1 slot weapons too. They aren't as powerful as a bec or flamberg, but they are still lethal. The short spear and quarter staff are both weapons I use regularly, even on my melee polearm character.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Bigfoob

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 11:08:37 pm »
No. There's a reason we limit archer weapons in native MP. Being a force to be reckoned with from a distance and being a force to be reckoned with when the opponent is in your face is not conducive to good game balance. Every class needs a strength and a weakness. Pulling out a flamberge or a bec and dealing just as much damage per hit as your opponent after peppering them with the best bow and arrows does not support this balance.

There are many great 1 slot weapons too. They aren't as powerful as a bec or flamberg, but they are still lethal. The short spear and quarter staff are both weapons I use regularly, even on my melee polearm character.

Well archery is not very powerful to begin with you make it seem like all you need is a warbow and you can 1 hit everyone but if someone has any armor it takes like 5 hits to kill them. I don't see why I should have to use weapons that are supposed to be used as a faster weapon with less damage and reach when I dislike playing like that. I don't like having to get 7 hits on someone to kill them it's why I don't use peasant weapons.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 11:13:35 pm »
archers are very powerful support players. Crossbowers are one of the most damaging builds in the game. The slot system keeps them from being all-around supermen. The status quo is fine in this regard.

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:51 pm »
archers are very powerful support players. Crossbowers are one of the most damaging builds in the game. The slot system keeps them from being all-around supermen. The status quo is fine in this regard.

1 slot crossbow + 1 bag of bolts + 2 slot 2hander/polearm is probably the best hybrid spec in the game currently. Crossbows do an assload of damage and if you really want to, you don't have to put any wpf in it.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:38 am »
I regularly wrecked shit in melee (and headshots) on my archer using: Khergit Bow + x2 quivers of Khergit Arrows + Iberian Mace (6 powerstrike, no proficiency, still a force to be reckoned).

As far as I can tell, proficiency in melee weapons is a luxury, not as much a necessity as it is with ranged accuracy. You can do perfectly fine with a clunky-ass short mace with no added swing speed if you know how to block a little.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:05:52 am »
I regularly wrecked shit in melee (and headshots) on my archer using: Khergit Bow + x2 quivers of Khergit Arrows + Iberian Mace (6 powerstrike, no proficiency, still a force to be reckoned).

As far as I can tell, proficiency in melee weapons is a luxury, not as much a necessity as it is with ranged accuracy. You can do perfectly fine with a clunky-ass short mace with no added swing speed if you know how to block a little.

True to an extent. If you go up against a "pure" melee 2h or polearm (especially polearm with their stun) you sometimes can't really hit back after a block. You can still chamber anything, but that's easier said than done.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 12:23:46 pm »
Just retired my hybrid build :
Lv30 or so
122 wpf in 2h
115 wpf in Archery
18/18
6 PS
6 ath
6 WM
5 PD
Rest in IF

Was using the lamellar armor, a mw strongbow, 2 stacks of bodkin arrows and a Spiked mace.
I was a decent medium range (shoot horse), a rather good close range (shoot inf's body and horse's head) and a good infantry. I'm pretty sure i had more kills with my mace than with my bow.
Hybrids are still possible and viable, but you need to know that a dedicated range will still own you (in my case) and that you can't take the best bow/xbows (2 slots) and the best melee weapon (2 slots), else you don't have amo.

Slot system is close to perfect imo.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 08:20:13 pm »
True to an extent. If you go up against a "pure" melee 2h or polearm (especially polearm with their stun) you sometimes can't really hit back after a block. You can still chamber anything, but that's easier said than done.

Bs, polearm stun has nothing with this if you do block.

And we all know that it is impossible to get outspammed in melee (assuming equal footwork, very important) if you use anything other than like a long maul.

(And please, listen to the guy who obviosly has some melee experience as an archer.)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:21:31 pm by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 11:47:41 pm »
And we all know that it is impossible to get outspammed in melee (assuming equal footwork, very important) if you use anything other than like a long maul.

Stunlock from polearms is a different story  :wink:

So long as they are an agility build who does not whiff, it is possible to get stunlocked by a warspear. Its very rare to see though.

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 01:49:00 am »
Bs, polearm stun has nothing with this if you do block.

(And please, listen to the guy who obviosly has some melee experience as an archer.)

Heavy weapon or polearm vs. 0 slot hammeer = lots of block stuns brochacho.