Poll

Would you like to see more open plains maps in rotation?

Yes
54 (58.7%)
No
29 (31.5%)
I'm a nub
9 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: August 19, 2011, 12:42:23 am

Author Topic: Open Plains  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Open Plains
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 03:09:06 am »
Nice to see some infantry players replying. Good positive feedback  :) Definitely get some more open plains maps on the servers then!

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:42 am »
Recipe of open plains maps:

Spawn => Shieldwall => Archers/xbowmen shoot for 4 minutes, while cav of opposite teams often fight eachother on their own => Melee chaos for 50 seconds, where the one with most/any cav wins

I hate when random plains comes.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:35 am »
No. Open plains=cav fest. A good map gives all classes options, not just cav.

Good maps: mirrored with obstacles and cover for all players. Variable heights, choke points, and a decent amount of open ground. If a map has all of this, it is a well balanced map.

large open flat plains with little to no cover is bad map design.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
The problem is Seawied...the kind of maps you are describing don't really exist in CRPG. The scale isn't large enough. If they did you'd have woodland, flat land, hills and towns all in the same map with enough space to manoeuvre :lol: That's why I'm arguing for a bit more map variation. I'm not saying make every map open plains. So I think it's a perfectly reasonable request.

Open plains aren't cav fests with an organised team (which is easy enough to achieve). As I stated before, there weren't really any players with outstanding scores (like you get on every hack and slash map with 1 person mowing through everyone). It was all very equal. To me that says that something is going right. There were some good players in cav, infantry and archery on there as well.

And considering tons of pubby players were saying how good it was to have a battle like that when it was going on, I'd say it would be good for cRPG.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:00:59 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:25 pm »
No. Open plains=cav fest. A good map gives all classes options, not just cav.

Good maps: mirrored with obstacles and cover for all players. Variable heights, choke points, and a decent amount of open ground. If a map has all of this, it is a well balanced map.

large open flat plains with little to no cover is bad map design.

What makes you think open maps are easier for cav ? When the map is open, people naturally tend to stick together and protect each other with shieldwalls and pikes. Try attacking a shieldwall protected by 4 pikes as a cav. Good luck. Only very bad players die to lone cav in those situations (those 2 handers that voluntary go away from teammates to try their luck against a lancer deserve to die for being so reckless anyway). Organized and well-timed cavalry charges can be effective, though. Just like they should.

The cover exists, you just have to trust your teammates. Any shielder with a postive EQ will stick with the shieldwall.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 12:23:48 pm »
What makes you think open maps are easier for cav ? When the map is open, people naturally tend to stick together and protect each other with shieldwalls and pikes. Try attacking a shieldwall protected by 4 pikes as a cav. Good luck. Only very bad players die to lone cav in those situations (those 2 handers that voluntary go away from teammates to try their luck against a lancer deserve to die for being so reckless anyway). Organized and well-timed cavalry charges can be effective, though. Just like they should.

The cover exists, you just have to trust your teammates. Any shielder with a postive EQ will stick with the shieldwall.

Seawied is the guy who still runs around on an open field after archers and then rages when he gets lanced when he's 40 yards from the main group :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 09:38:28 pm »

you seem to forget that a piker can only protect you from one direction. Cav act more like wolves: surround and attack at all sides.

Open maps: MUCH easier for cav. Just look at the maps when everyone starts bringing out their horses: its not close corners maps.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »
you seem to forget that a piker can only protect you from one direction. Cav act more like wolves: surround and attack at all sides.

Open maps: MUCH easier for cav. Just look at the maps when everyone starts bringing out their horses: its not close corners maps.

Again not a bad thing. Are you one of these people who think all maps should be infantry focused? Because we have that with town maps. Why not give the cavalry a map that gives them room to form big formations? Only open plains do that, you can't on any other map effectively, whether it's hilly or town, or village. Only open plains provide that. And infantry can form a formation to, effectively nullifying most of the cav impact. As we saw in that battle.

You are talking from a nerf cav pov. I am talking about variation in maps and maps that give teamwork opportunities on a grand scale, not providing one class with a incredible advantage over all others. Map variation and pubby teamwork is something which cRPG is sorely lacking.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:15:14 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 10:33:41 pm »
You are talking from a nerf cav pov.

No, I am really not. Each map should have sections which all classes can flourish. A map with no room for cav to get through would be unbalanced because it punishes a class too hard. A map with zero cover would punish all 2hers. Open plains maps are bad design.

Take field by the river. Its a great map, which offers both cover and room for cav to roam. Its a balanced map. Random plains maps on the other hand were the most disliked maps in both native and crpg.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 10:38:25 pm »
No, I am really not. Each map should have sections which all classes can flourish. A map with no room for cav to get through would be unbalanced because it punishes a class too hard. A map with zero cover would punish all 2hers. Open plains maps are bad design.

Take field by the river. Its a great map, which offers both cover and room for cav to roam. Its a balanced map. Random plains maps on the other hand were the most disliked maps in both native and crpg.

Until people played on it tactically and then there was demand for more open plains immediately after :S The only reason why people never liked open plains is because without teamwork (that they could help to produce) there was no where to hide from classes like cav and archers, no rooftops to sit on top or towers to camp in... Also surely you should have a map where all classes can fluorish anywhere on the map... that is a random plains map if people worked together.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »

Yet most maps in cRPG don't provide equal opportunities :lol:

And any map that promotes team work means that all classes flourish, because teamwork always results in a even distribution if you work together properly. As we saw in open plains. You're just making a random argument, but the evidence from what we've seen in battle, and what others have said is the complete opposite to what you are saying.

Again random plains aren't open plains. And like I said, with the amount of clans we can easily promote team work. And with teamwork those maps are fun, as just about everyone has said. Except for the usual people who think cav rampages on those maps. Which they really really don't.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 10:46:59 pm »
Until people played on it tactically and then there was demand for more open plains immediately after :S

lolwut?

Yet most maps in cRPG don't provide equal opportunities :lol:

I'm not denying that. There are a ton of terrible maps in c-rpg.

And with teamwork those maps are fun, as just about everyone [1]has said. Except for the usual people who think cav rampages on those maps. Which they really really don't.[2]

1: False. A few people in this very small thread have said this.
2: They really do.

To quote someone who summed up open fields quite honestly

Recipe of open plains maps:

Spawn => Shieldwall => Archers/xbowmen shoot for 4 minutes, while cav of opposite teams often fight eachother on their own => Melee chaos for 50 seconds, where the one with most/any cav wins

I hate when random plains comes.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 10:48:09 pm »
lolwut?

I'm not denying that. There are a ton of terrible maps in c-rpg.

1: False. A few people in this very small thread have said this.
2: They really do.

To quote someone who summed up open fields quite honestly

And the majority of people in that battle commented on it at the time and said they wanted more of those maps. That's 100 people right htere.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:52:53 pm by Overdriven »

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »
I never played as cav, I never played as ranged, since warband beta I played as infantry and I say yes  :)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »
And the majority of people in that battle commented on it at the time and said they wanted more of those maps. That's 100 people right htere.

ya that one battle! I know that one! The one with the swords and the ponies and the arrows! Totally that one battle! Because thousands of battles don't go on everday at c-rpg!