Author Topic: my thoughts on burff  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
my thoughts on burff
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:33 am »
we have all we need:  the agil/fast horses of low hp and armor,  the mid and heavy horses with higher hp ando/or armor and less man.  why change all that?

our real problem is the cost/effectivness thingy.  everyone uses the horse that will work best for him without beeing broke instantly.

thats why i´d suggest (it has been done before) not to change the horses atm,  but the upkeep for them,  or price.  whatever.

NO plated charger dude will be more effective than a courser or arrabian rider. And especially no warhorse dude.

So, although im pissed by only thinking about it:  redo the prices according to effectiveness.

sth like courser=mamluk,  arrabian=charger,  charger=destrier. while decreasing the prices for heavy horses and increasing those of "mediums"

ahrg,  only thinking about it is killing me : D
but seriously,  why kill deversity in this game,  this  way we would see more of every kind of horse,  and thats what makes things interresting.  not burfing everything to be way similar at the end.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:03:51 am by Torben »
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: my thoughts on burff
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:02 am »
Why not.

Though i'll put the courser on par with the arabian/charger price.
The ability to couch a lance JUST AFTER turning is really a bother.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:57 am »
Agree.

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:37:47 am »
no

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:40:30 am »
no

than lets just decrease upkeep on armored horses : D
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:53 am »
that + improving the sounds of horses would slightly decrease the whining, i suppose.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:51:18 am »
The upkeep on heavy horses seems fair to me atm :/ One of the main issues cav has is the horse being taken down by archers, taking even a cataphract horse practically nullifys damage from arrows (they maybe do 5-10% of health to the horse from what would be 30-50% on an arabian). Making Heavy horses as cheap as coursers or even just cheaper will lead to archers giving up bothering shooting horses (which very few do anyways for some selfish reasons...).

Additionally heavy horses wont go down to stab animations from other weapons which i can imagine is going to make many players rage (and rightly so) if we see a lot more heavy horses.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:19:21 pm »
The upkeep on heavy horses seems fair to me atm :/ One of the main issues cav has is the horse being taken down by archers, taking even a cataphract horse practically nullifys damage from arrows (they maybe do 5-10% of health to the horse from what would be 30-50% on an arabian). Making Heavy horses as cheap as coursers or even just cheaper will lead to archers giving up bothering shooting horses (which very few do anyways for some selfish reasons...).

Additionally heavy horses wont go down to stab animations from other weapons which i can imagine is going to make many players rage (and rightly so) if we see a lot more heavy horses.
untrue, i have a longbowman and when i see a heavy horse, i immidiately start shooting it. so no.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »
untrue, i have a longbowman and when i see a heavy horse, i immidiately start shooting it. so no.

Well you are one of the few players who do :) but feel free to cope with mamlukes trampling you again and again and you not being able to bring them down with less than 5 longbow shots (5 very lengthy animations, having to be performed between being bumped, slashed and attacked) :P tbh cheaper heavy horses would only benefit me... I do love my Cataphract horse  :twisted:
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:42:26 pm »
Well you are one of the few players who do :) but feel free to cope with mamlukes trampling you again and again and you not being able to bring them down with less than 5 longbow shots (5 very lengthy animations, having to be performed between being bumped, slashed and attacked) :P tbh cheaper heavy horses would only benefit me... I do love my Cataphract horse  :twisted:
to not let that happen you should just stick with your friends and if you don't your own fould

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »
to not let that happen you should just stick with your friends and if you don't your own fould

I'm all for strength in numbers but my point is still valid : If we see cheaper heavy horses we are gonna see more of them on the field and all those archers who don't have friends are gonna whine about it. The simple fact is the increased armour / hp will mean more shots to take a horse down and one of the main weaknesses of horses is how fragile they are. I know I find I have so much leeway on what I can get away with on a heavy horse, whereas on a lighter horse a single mistake/ badly timed charge leads to me losing my horse.
Your local Jav Cav

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:24:53 pm »
I'm all for strength in numbers but my point is still valid : If we see cheaper heavy horses we are gonna see more of them on the field and all those archers who don't have friends are gonna whine about it. The simple fact is the increased armour / hp will mean more shots to take a horse down and one of the main weaknesses of horses is how fragile they are. I know I find I have so much leeway on what I can get away with on a heavy horse, whereas on a lighter horse a single mistake/ badly timed charge leads to me losing my horse.
but due to the maneuver nerf, archers will hit cav a lot easier. and xbows are still deadly to cav, any sort

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »
people whine about the fast and manouvreable horses now, but i can promise you one thing; if you make armored horses cost the same, you will hear even more whine.
After getting killed by bumps and not being able to shoot the horses, everyone will rage and say 'Armored horses should cost way more, they have armor afterall!"

i'm just sayin'...

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:58:26 pm »
You really think a Longbow damages a Mamluk horse? I've taken at least 5 arrows in my Mamluk from a mixture of crossbows and archers and it does bugger all damage, a max of 50% if it's crossbows. Those things are expensive because they are near impossible to take down without someone with a pike with high PS. You're better off taking down the rider than trying to kill some of the heavier horses.

So no. That is a daft suggestion unless you want Mamluks crushing through infantry lines and slaughtering everyone. We will get back to the way it used to be before upkeep with constant horse bump kills.

As for making the medium quality horses (courser/arabian/destrier) more expensive, as equal as a mamluk, or even near to it, well you'd see no cavalry ever again. A mamluk costs 3000 in upkeep. I can use it maybe 2 rounds every 20 or so. You'd effectively destroy the prospect of cavalry.

So once again, if you want to nerf cav, think of something practical. Not something that would see them vanish entirely (aka throwing nerf).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:00:51 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:34:58 am »
You really think a Longbow damages a Mamluk horse? I've taken at least 5 arrows in my Mamluk from a mixture of crossbows and archers and it does bugger all damage, a max of 50% if it's crossbows. Those things are expensive because they are near impossible to take down without someone with a pike with high PS. You're better off taking down the rider than trying to kill some of the heavier horses.

So no. That is a daft suggestion unless you want Mamluks crushing through infantry lines and slaughtering everyone. We will get back to the way it used to be before upkeep with constant horse bump kills.

As for making the medium quality horses (courser/arabian/destrier) more expensive, as equal as a mamluk, or even near to it, well you'd see no cavalry ever again. A mamluk costs 3000 in upkeep. I can use it maybe 2 rounds every 20 or so. You'd effectively destroy the prospect of cavalry.

So once again, if you want to nerf cav, think of something practical. Not something that would see them vanish entirely (aka throwing nerf).
the idea isn't to be able to choose the mamluk horse as a standerd one, but more the warhorse, large one and cataphract mostly, and yes, that does make a difference qua armor. and if heavy horses would be OP because of the low prices, i'd choose to make them slower. and i also think there should be a bigger difference between the warhorse and large warhorse.