Author Topic: Time-Place coordination  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
Time-Place coordination
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »
In 1st Strategus, you could fight for Shariz when you are in Wercheg. So I think in the second one you should be there to participate the war even as a mercenary. So real mercenaries always travel to participate to the wars to get more blood money. What other opinions on this matter?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Time-Place coordination
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:54:10 pm »
Well, that would make it pretty much completely impossible for a small clan to fight against a large one. They're already at a huge disadvantage due to faction resource gain increasing with member count, but these kinds of restrictions on merc hiring would be a complete deathblow.
Don't.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »
It would be interesting though I think.

Conversely it would give a lot more purpose to small mercenary clans or groups travelling the map, looking for employment. Besides if a clan cannot protect their lands what right do they have to it anyway?

Do not forget these large clans would also then have to have their men in the right place for a battle. Which would actually enable a much greater tactical/strategic game to occur and probably cause wars to be less "gamey".

Not that I expect such a thing to happen.

Offline Electro

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • when death smiles at us all we can do is smileback
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Electro
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:57:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

i think what plazek says is true.

it would make the game alot more strategically based
i mean in real life people from china didnt join in the United kingdoms wars
or take calradia for instance. in single player not every single lord and his armys come as one all on your doorstep
Plus if the 24 hours of waiting till the match starts would allow people to possibly move to the location to be able to partake.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »
Well, that would make it pretty much completely impossible for a small clan to fight against a large one. They're already at a huge disadvantage due to faction resource gain increasing with member count, but these kinds of restrictions on merc hiring would be a complete deathblow.

Okin, small clans then won't be able to hold lands but they can join every war, make money and hire their own mercs. Think, a small clan attacks and all roster is filled up with Fallen's for example. Then it's Fallen's war not that small clan's. Fighting for a soutern city when you are in north makes game so unrealistic, makes the whole map thing useless. Here's my another point.

Because of 60 men roster limit, many clan do not apply their own players to the battle, they hire 30+ level mercs first then 30- own players. This will force clans to play with their own inexperienced clan members to play, take part in faction play.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:38:54 pm by Sultan Eren »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »
What about something in between? You can hire anyone you want or only hire players registered in your faction, but if someone joins by actually traveling to the battle then "they" join, not as a soldier but as "them" and can then use their equipment from cRPG or something. Or you can buy "personal" equipment in strat which is just for you (at reduced prices, but only available for you) and Party equipment which is for the army aka the people who just signed up for the rooster. As I said, making it so only faction members can join without being there is also a possibility.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »
With these new bad ass servers, will the mercenary hire limit be increased?
Just a soldier

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 02:05:46 am »
I think it is a great idea. Quite simply.

As long as the radius is decent.

Big +1.

And No... It won't screw over the small clans. It will give them a purpose!
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:56:29 am »
I like the idea, but if i remember well, in 1st Strat you were not really a merc, but just a representative of the soldiers of the commander's army (tickets).

But the idea is good, if you are near the battle may be you can join really, with our own ticket, lets say you have an army of 100 soldiers, you can use this tickets instead of commander's tickets (till commander lose all his tickets, then you lose too, or commander takes your tickets).
In last Strat there were plenty of guys with 10 to 100 tickets, this tickets were useless for randomers (all villages had around 500 tickets).

May be you can also use your cRPG equip (heirloom!) or you can only take one or two of your equip with you (this  could be also a new strat skill).

But, it should have a drawback, a risk, may be if commander army is beaten you can loose one of your equip, or you have to pay upkeep in some way (5 hours siege...).

Btw, I don't know how much reknown players will ask to fight as a real merc, with their own equip...

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:30:37 am »
It could be if you weren't in the faction fighting the battle (representing the soldiers), you would have to be there on the map (representing the mercs).

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 06:03:50 am »

Because of 60 men roster limit, many clan do not apply their own players to the battle, they hire 30+ level mercs first then 30- own players. This will force clans to play with their own inexperienced clan members to play, take part in faction play.

I think that any faction that does this should not be able to play strategus. At all. Just for the sheer idiocy factor.

There's no point in having a faction if they'll just hire level 30+ randoms. And anyway, the faction that does this will be the first faction to be crushed by any faction with ANY form of tactics whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:05:10 am by Reinhardt »
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:03 pm »
I think that any faction that does this should not be able to play strategus. At all. Just for the sheer idiocy factor.

There's no point in having a faction if they'll just hire level 30+ randoms. And anyway, the faction that does this will be the first faction to be crushed by any faction with ANY form of tactics whatsoever.

You had never played 1st Strategus then. Nonsense.

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
I like Zapper's idea that if you are near a battle on the world map you can spawn with your CRPG gear (including heirlooms) instead of relying on the equipment given to you by the commander.

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Jeez

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • May God have mercy on your souls, I will not
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders Of Acre
  • Game nicks: Saint Jeez of Acre
  • IRC nick: Jeez
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 01:53:42 pm »
You had never played 1st Strategus then. Nonsense.

we have,
mercenaries don't blend in a well formed, team-play trained group. They can be usefull as butchers, but even the best player gets beaten by skilled teamwork

Offline Electro

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • when death smiles at us all we can do is smileback
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Electro
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
we have,
mercenaries don't blend in a well formed, team-play trained group. They can be usefull as butchers, but even the best player gets beaten by skilled teamwork

i hate to disagree but he is right a group of about 20. Espicially of a clan like acre cannot take on 60 + enemy's.
even if you are really skilled.

Even DRZ couldent always get there 50 + members on all at once.
so the solutuion recruiting mercs/people with high lvl.