Author Topic: fix pikes?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: fix pikes?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 05:07:19 pm »
Pikes and long spears are fine in my opinion. There are few effective pure pikemen, I can only name Craftybadger, so it obviously requires some skill otherwise the whole server would be full off pure pikers. Its a great support weapon in clusterfucks and it should be.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »
Long spears are adequate dueling weapons in the hands of a skilled polearmsman.

But the real problem is that Long Spears and Pikes are only 2 slots.

I thought it was fine when they were only 3 slots.

Now 2H just pick up a Pike to ward off cavalry and then drop it when they get into a fight with someone else. Why should 2H players be so effective against both cavalry and other infantry?

Leave Long Spears and Pikes to the dedicated polearms who can use them in close quarters as well as ward off cav, not just a conveniance weapon like throwing axes used to be or crossbows are now.

heaven forbid infantry being able to defend themselves against cavalry!
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:21 pm »
Colliding with surfaces(ground) is planned with WSE and it will create epic lulz and rage. I'm looking forward to it.

And when is WSE planned, hmm ?  :lol:

A LOT of rage, I agree... This potentially changes all the fighting habits so it would be just like a new game  :o

Offline Yaron

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • I am daunkey guy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Secret
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
Appearently you guys dont get it.

Long Spears ARE viable in 1vs1 ... noone ever declined that BUT:

If 2 players of the same skill level would duel, one with Long Spear, one with some random polearm/2h/whatever ... who do you think will win?!
If you lose against a Long Spear in Duel its simply that your enemy is better then you and would pwn you even harder with some proper polearm. So its the fault of your lack of skill and not the fault of a "Overpowered Long Spear" (LOL!) ...

Reasons are obvious:

- Only thrust and overhead swing, which can't be feinted ... or at least not very effectivly coz of pretty low speed compared to other weapons.

- It is slow, Sure, it is fast enough to reply an attack after you blocked successfully but thats all, you never ever can spam someone with a Long Spear, if he blocked your first attack unless he is a complete noob. Sure I can already hear the whine: Mimimi, I can stun lock someone if I poke him in the back! Its redicilious fast! BLAH! .... -> Some news for you! other weapons can as well stunlock someone from behind! and that even way faster and with more dmg! cewl eh? ...

- Good chance to just bounce if enemy is too close, the ground stab glitch doesnt work always + you can be spamed easier than with other weapons.

At Linx: Sure lets balance the game around one guy, who maybe is able to beat ppl with a logn spear in duel! the reason could never be that he is just better then you (and maybe me, dunno, dont know him)
Long Spear should be supposed to be a free win in 1vs1 situations regardless of which skill the player have and if he is a lvl 1 peasant or not! ... very good idea! ... NOT!

[21:11] <chadz>   i intend to give the 0 army guys a man for free though
[21:12] <chadz>   there will be fun "WTF? I LOST TO ONE GUY BECAUSE NO ONE OF MY TEAM SHOWED UP" threads
[21:12] <chadz>   which will result in me laughing
[21:12] <chadz>   and a happy chadz is a coding chadz

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:07 pm »
you forgot to add they are the easiest attack to chamber in the game. Overhead chamber to win!

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 07:51:53 pm »
FYI Bulzur (sorry if i mistypped ur name), polearms have a longuer stun whenever you get hit by one. So when using polearms its easier to land an extra hit right after u hit ur enemy once. Its not just heavier polearm but all. I tried and tested a agi build and whenever i was using warspear, red tessal, any kind of staves or any fast polearms i could almost keep the guy stunned and keep hitting him, he could not move nor block in time, i just needed some little feinting when he managed to block to land another hit and restart the 'stunning' process. it seems like its hardcoded so dunkey team cant change it: polearms have a longuer stun whenever they hit u. Thats why, with high enough wpf (~150) i could stab my enemies a second time or even a third time, sometimes, with the longspear and they could not do anything, i killed them before they could successfully block my poke.

Edit: thats why IMO long spear is too fast. I would lower the speed to at least 75 if not less to make it a real support/anti-cav weapon.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:55:43 pm by Siboire »

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 07:56:30 pm »
Siboire, longspear isn't fast enough to obtain this stun though.  You can do it easily with a warspear, but long-spear can't hit the speed threshold to create an infinite stun. Not even if you heirloom a long-spear.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 08:22:35 pm »
I don't know...you guys are arguing for pikes, but in the past month or so I've seen a dramatic increase in pikes being used in close combat. Fact is it can hit you even when you're far past the head of the pike and it is bloody quick in the hands of a high level build. Hell just look at badger...he tops almost every round he's on and he uses just a pike. It can stun and the majority of pike users (I always follow them in death cam because I'm interested) can hit a guy, stun him, and hit him again quickly without even a pause. The fact they rarely glance off armour (unlike most other polearms) means they do the ultimate thrust damage most of the time.

In all honesty I'd like to see a complete over haul of pikes. Make them sheath able, however make them only able to be used in a stance in order to be anti-cav. Don't bull crap to me about it not being able to be done because other mods do it. X mode is perfect for it and I've heard from various people it's relatively easy to implement. Other mods use other buttons such as Q to make a stance mode. There is absolutely no argument for why a pike can be used to top servers, or at least get a K/D when they aren't being used as anti-cav.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »
blabla (in a good way^^)

Thanks for the information, played for a bit but didn't really notice that. So that's why i can spam with my ironstaff.  :rolleyes:
Anyway, i doubt you can spam with a longspear.
And as Yaron said, if you get killed by a longspear user, you would have gotten owned by him if he had a warspear. It's not cause of the weapon, but of the player.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:31 pm »
Appearently you guys dont get it.

Long Spears ARE viable in 1vs1 ... noone ever declined that BUT:

If 2 players of the same skill level would duel, one with Long Spear, one with some random polearm/2h/whatever ... who do you think will win?!
If you lose against a Long Spear in Duel its simply that your enemy is better then you and would pwn you even harder with some proper polearm. So its the fault of your lack of skill and not the fault of a "Overpowered Long Spear" (LOL!) ...

Reasons are obvious:

- Only thrust and overhead swing, which can't be feinted ... or at least not very effectivly coz of pretty low speed compared to other weapons.

- It is slow, Sure, it is fast enough to reply an attack after you blocked successfully but thats all, you never ever can spam someone with a Long Spear, if he blocked your first attack unless he is a complete noob. Sure I can already hear the whine: Mimimi, I can stun lock someone if I poke him in the back! Its redicilious fast! BLAH! .... -> Some news for you! other weapons can as well stunlock someone from behind! and that even way faster and with more dmg! cewl eh? ...

- Good chance to just bounce if enemy is too close, the ground stab glitch doesnt work always + you can be spamed easier than with other weapons.

At Linx: Sure lets balance the game around one guy, who maybe is able to beat ppl with a logn spear in duel! the reason could never be that he is just better then you (and maybe me, dunno, dont know him)
Long Spear should be supposed to be a free win in 1vs1 situations regardless of which skill the player have and if he is a lvl 1 peasant or not! ... very good idea! ... NOT!

this is the best post n the topic. Discussion over.

I considered writing something along the lines of this cause the amount of people who actually said long spear is OP duelling weap was stunning... but you did it for me, thx :) +1 to you, -1 to Linx

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 09:23:12 pm »
Siboire, longspear isn't fast enough to obtain this stun though.  You can do it easily with a warspear, but long-spear can't hit the speed threshold to create an infinite stun. Not even if you heirloom a long-spear.

I did not meant that it's fast enough to infinite stun but it has a speed high enough to easily land at least another hit if the guy is not facing you (by the time he turns around and block, you can land another hit for sure). I don't know, it's my personnal experience, I probably won't use it anymore as I find it "lolstabbing" and cheap, but that's just me.  :mrgreen:

Edit: fixed typping mistakes (not my native language, sorry for grammar failures lol)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:24:19 pm by Siboire »

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41:08 pm »
I don't know...you guys are arguing for pikes, but in the past month or so I've seen a dramatic increase in pikes being used in close combat. Fact is it can hit you even when you're far past the head of the pike and it is bloody quick in the hands of a high level build. Hell just look at badger...he tops almost every round he's on and he uses just a pike...

Omg. There is one guy who is good at piking in melee. One guy. Let's just fucking nerf the thing already  :rolleyes:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:21 pm »
He's not the only guy. He's just the most prominent example. There are plenty of dedicated pikemen out there at the moment.

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 11:37:24 pm »
Omg. There is one guy who is good at piking in melee. One guy. Let's just fucking nerf the thing already  :rolleyes:

More like 10-20
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 11:43:42 pm »
its a support weapon, designed for killing people in melee. like bills its not just used for fighting cavalry.
Turtles