Author Topic: THE GREAT CAVALRY NERF/BUFF (BURF)  (Read 3760 times)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
THE GREAT CAVALRY NERF/BUFF (BURF)
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:56:17 am »
As things stand, cavalry works in cRPG. Within the rather complicated framework of awesomeness and balance that is this game, it fits. It has its counters, and it has its advantages. However, I think that the way in which it fits into the balance puzzle of cRPG is somewhat fucking stupid.

The most successful (melee) cavalry players fight using two items: the heavy lance and the courser. They rely on speed and suprise to defeat their opponents, sneaking up on them like the god damned batman. Ninja batman. I speak from experience, and from information gathered from other players, when I say that this is annoying and homomsexual (in a bad, rapey way, not the rainbow way). There is little satisfaction on the part of the ninja-lancer, who gets his kills not in a straight-up fight, but by lancing people in the back. The victim feels rage-tastic, because in the two seconds he took to pick his nose or finger himself he got killed by a horse swooping out of nowhere. Silently, for horses are silent predators apparently.

The few 1h/shield--or even, gasp, 2h--cavalry players that exist get their kills in a similar way. Though if they're not sneaking up on people, they're probably bump slashing them. That's another issue, though, for another suggestion. One which will also be completely ignored, just saying.

This situation is made even more fucked up by the relative softness of horses, and prices. The ninja style of play, whereby cav swoop out of nowhere and avoid direct confrontation (or, when they have to fight 1 v 1, they stay out of range and poke w/ heavy-fuck lance), is "balanced out" by low HP amongst the only affordable horses in the game. The courser dies in four or five arrow hits. The destrier is, perhaps, a bit stronger, but is still rather fragile. This causes rage on the horseman's part, for obvioius reasons.

Disregard the high-tier horses in this discussion, due to their extreme price. I remember the days of the tank horse, and I don't miss them. Still, high-tier horses are simply too expensive. And the affordable ones, the warhorses, simply suck.

I likely echo the feelings of many cavalry players when I quote my bitching self:
"I very much dislike having to use speed and suprise to kill my enemies, stabbing them in the back without them even HEARING ME. I also dislike having to resort to expensive metal horses in order to close with and kill my virtual enemies fair and square (or try to, given their softness). I dislike the idea that the best horsemen use the heavy lance, ride the courser, and have to fight like absolute pussies. I dislike not being able to charge into the flank of an enemy gaggle-fuck with my comrades in arms and cut bitches. I also really (really) dislike my horse dieing in three or four arrow hits--perhaps alot "realistically", but not in the world of cRPG."

--------------------------------------------------------

So, wat do? (Actual suggestion)
Buff/nerf horses, of course: switch up the stats "balance". Increase horses HP, but decrease their speed/maneuver. The speed needs a heavier nerf than the maneuver, but I think maneuver is a bit high. Simple, right?

Decrease the price of high-tier (metal) horses, and SLIGHTLY boost their armor (note that I didn't suggest to boost mid-tier horse armor, just their HP). Keep the plated charger's price, though: it should be a godlike tank of destruction, but expensive.

Boost horse charge, to promote epic charges, of course. (Debateable suggestion)

MAKE HORSES LOUDER, if possible.

Pretty please with cocain on top.
------------

tl;dr-- Go fuck yourself. Or see the bold stuff, for I am a kind and understanding OP.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:57:52 am by KaMiKaZe_JoE »
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
Re: THE GREAT CAVALRY NERF/BUFF (BURF)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:03:00 am »
Inb4 innacurate, random, pointless references to history or realism. You may go fuck yourselves--you know who you are. Let me guess your thoughts: "Teh hoplites didn't fight like this, they clearly rode bareback upon great winged unicorns and definitly usded the heavy lance at mach-5 when on campaign in the African steppe".
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:11:39 am »
I second this notion.  Tired of lance-cav being gayer than archers....
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:20:05 am »
Most good cav gets its kills back stabbing archers and peasants AND killing other cav. This is when th the speed and manouvere are most interesting.

Ibdeed the horse itself should be a threat to players, not just the squigy knight child boy on top.
Turtles

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:56:28 am »
would be nice if different horses had different sounds, at the very least an unarmored and armored horse sound.

I'm a heavy horse 1h cav that supports infantry, but sometimes having me around makes them habituate to the sound of horses and they dont pay attention when a racecarcourser comes to lance them

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:36:47 am »
Inb4 innacurate, random, pointless references to history or realism. You may go fuck yourselves--you know who you are. Let me guess your thoughts: "Teh hoplites didn't fight like this, they clearly rode bareback upon great winged unicorns and definitly usded the heavy lance at mach-5 when on campaign in the African steppe".
You sir made my day.

I support this topic with all of my entirety.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:03:45 am »
I second this notion.  Tired of lance-cav being gayer than archers....
Keep telling yourself that, Kesh . =)

P.S. i have nothing against cav sounds becoming louder/more noticable.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:13:05 am »
Good suggestion. I hate that cav is only useful when gaypoking from behind like a ninja.

I would,
for non-heavy horses:
- decrease maneuver greatly
- decrease speed slightly
- increase armor slightly
- increase hp greatly

for heavy horses:
- decrease price
- reduce maneuver even more
- increase armor

for charge mechanics:
- decrease couch damage
- increase charge damage on non-heavy horses
- ONLY polearms longer than 200 stop horses, others only slow them down

That way we could actually do a proper cavalry charge.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:02:07 am by Vibe »

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:35 am »
im actually quite skilled at stabbing people face to face, they just cant A) have a pike with pole arm WPF(ill charge a 2h with a pike)B) be a jump slash WHORE or C) be a str build backed next to a wall so that when my lance/couch doesnt kill them in there plate they can just hack me to bit along with w/e horse im riding.
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:06:47 am »
(click to show/hide)

+1. Sounds good.

(click to show/hide)

+1. That would be really nice.

(click to show/hide)

So you disagree that the humiliation process in 1v1 situations between a melee player and a ranged where the ranged will alwys win is less lame than a situation between a lancer and any kind of melee player where any one can win?

Ranged will always be more lame than melee simply because a melee player can not counter it.
As the victim you have two options:
- Extend the humilation process by dodging the projectiles.
- Stand still and hope you get headshotted.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:13:25 am by Riddaren »

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:18:35 am »
Boost horse charge, to promote epic charges, of course. (Debateable suggestion)

MAKE HORSES LOUDER, if possible.
If armor is increased, charge needs to go WAY down. With speed it means knockdown anyway, but the bowling-horse running through a group the size of a football team and flinging all of them every which way is unacceptable.

Horses need a bell hanging from their necks like cows. The ding ding ding should be loud, annoying and gay enough to drive the rider insane.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:50 am »
while i agree with much of this thread, I think not all horses should be slowed down.
I agree with most of the stuff but the courser, I would either leave it, as the ninja lancer playstyle is still a valid playstyle.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:59 am »
while i agree with much of this thread, I think not all horses should be slowed down.
I agree with most of the stuff but the courser, I would either leave it, as the ninja lancer playstyle is still a valid playstyle.

Agree, but the maneuver should be reduced at higher speeds then, or overall.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:54 am »
OR!!!leave cavalry alone  :shock:
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:29:59 am »
No.

I would even go as far as to suggest a lance damage nerf and an increased downtime for bumped people (depending on the weight of armor).

Less killing, more bumping!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:31:12 am by Vibe »