Author Topic: Archers buffed too much  (Read 24274 times)

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
Re: Archers buffed too much
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2011, 01:38:58 am »
ehem longbow with pd6 dont have damagebuff...only pd over the requirements give a bonus...

LOL, no, it does.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline priest

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SR
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2011, 01:41:30 am »
Just join the server. Look who is topping the charts now. And it's a support class - the class that is very useful even when not making a lot of kills.

Pride crusher...other random polearm or 2h users, the occasional thrower/2h hybrid.  Archers rarely topped the charts before, and they still rarely do now.  Even before the big patch was released the game was predominantly melee.  The rare exceptions were then high generation archers who mastered archery (kesh and others).  After the current big patch and subsequent patches archers still rarely top kill charts.  The added damage to our arrows isn't a huge buff because it still comes coupled with our slow animations, the overall WPF nerf, and the PD penalty (to my knowledge hasn't been removed). 

From my own experience this buff is only a major help to those dedicated 6 PD archers who were made absolutely and completely useless by the big patch.  Removing an entire class from the gameplay was bad.  4 PD archers like my main HA, at least in my personal experience, really don't see much of an improvement except for the most lightly armored people.  I do also have a dedicated foot archer and yes i do feel like I can actually do something now, but not to the point where i feel like a god on the battle field.  I still have no maneuverability to get away from flankers or anyone who breaks through our line because I sacrificed that all for more WPF. 

If anything I could see archers getting another buff in some way, but not another nerf.  This balance is fine and it will keep away a large amount of QQ. 

As always player skill will always prevail over all.  Just because your build is perfect doesn't mean you have the mindset for every class.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:57 am »
As always player skill will always prevail over all.  Just because your build is perfect doesn't mean you have the mindset for every class.

Except skill has absolutely nothing to do with interactions between infantry and archers.  Yes, there is skill in aim and timing on the archer's end, but there is no skillful response available for infantry.  Archers shoot at infantry.  Infantry find a place to hide or turtle behind a shield until it's over.  Period.  Gameplay crippled for one side, but not the other.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2011, 02:06:19 am »
Except skill has absolutely nothing to do with interactions between infantry and archers.  Yes, there is skill in aim and timing on the archer's end, but there is no skillful response available for infantry.  Archers shoot at infantry.  Infantry find a place to hide or turtle behind a shield until it's over.  Period.  Gameplay crippled for one side, but not the other.

Try being an archer with a melee guy bearing down on you.  Game play crippled for one side, but not the other. Different play styles different roles, different ways of fighting.... 

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Beleidiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2011, 02:08:05 am »
Everything i read in this Thread and the howl Forum is QQ and more Q that brings us to nowhere if all the Time things get Nerved and buffed again this will become endless!

But we all should agree the Archer was to weak before this new buff no way to take out all kind of Horses wat they are made for!

And Making an Archer just an support Class is Kinda stupid ho wanna play a class when he only get more Killed than do kills!The Archers spend Skill into the Archery to receive Kills like every Class!
And think about Archers have to Fear other Archers too and if they have to avoid Enemy fire they have to move that makes it difficult for an clean shot so if your Archers do there Job you dont have to Fear the Archer that much!

I would agree 1 last little Buff to the Archer like just +7 or 6 (with 6 a bit more accuracy wold be nice too) damage for Bodkins but in that Case i never i mean never want read an Thread like this again!

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2011, 02:14:21 am »
There's no such thing as a support class in cRPG. Every single "class" is made for the purpose of getting kills with their weapon of choice.
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2011, 02:19:35 am »
Try being an archer with a melee guy bearing down on you.  Game play crippled for one side, but not the other. Different play styles different roles, different ways of fighting....

I am. If they don't know how to block, they're dead, generally in one or two hits. 1 is the norm.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:26:04 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2011, 02:35:20 am »

Yeah, but part of fun is when you can do something that is not hiding.
And i hope for you that you have some fun when you face somebody with your melee weapon, that's the best part of the game.

Archers buffed too much, that doesn't mean archers must be like before patch, that means just a little less buffed. It's true that before (buff) playing archers was lame, too less damage. But frankly now it's too easy, i'm not that good with my archer alt, but i can kill ppl often with a low level and small bow, i don't even think of someone good (but average) with a PD6 bow.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 02:36:40 am »
This QQ still going on? I played an unshielded pikeman even before the nerf patch and wearing all mail outfit. I never thought archers were too strong even back then. I cursed them to hell when they got a lucky shot in and hated their guts but that was just the moment. Overall they weren't a problem. If you think otherwise l2p.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline priest

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SR
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2011, 02:39:39 am »
This QQ still going on? I played an unshielded pikeman even before the nerf patch and wearing all mail outfit. I never thought archers were too strong even back then. I cursed them to hell when they got a lucky shot in and hated their guts but that was just the moment. Overall they weren't a problem. If you think otherwise l2p.

+1 This guy gets it.  Unfortunately the vast majority take that "in the moment" and use that aforementioned moment to alt tab and QQ on the forums while they wait for respawn. "ZOMG I GOTS KILLED BY A BOW NERFNERFNERFNERF."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:40:48 am by priest »

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2011, 02:43:19 am »
+1
+1

all the people whine because they want easytime...

only thing which can changed is a little bit more expensive arrows...

Arrows   134  2 pierce -- for the peasant archer
Barbed Arrows   1923   4 pierce
Khergit Arrows   3205   6 pierce
Bodkin Arrows   4074   8 pierce
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline AgentQ

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:24 am »
chadz should know whether archer is OP, NA servers are full of archers now.

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2011, 02:57:28 am »
They aren't full of archers, and loads of people didn't reroll in the 30 hours since the mini-patch came out.
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2011, 03:43:15 am »

Expected response. 

If you don't have a melee weapon ready for when that time comes, that's a choice you made.  If you do, then you have plenty of opportunity to fight back.  You're still limited only by your personal skill.  You may be at a disadvantage against someone who is built specifically for melee, but as an archer you've built plenty of agility.  You can take a fast melee weapon and if you're a good manual blocker, you stand a really good chance in a melee duel.

Basically, when a melee reaches an archer, they move from 100% dominant predator to somewhat disadvantaged.  It's far far far from a total reversal.

You know who has it worse, as much as people whine about them?  Throwers.  Pure strength based.  You have to invest a ton of strength for throwing to be worth anything, you have to get really close to have any chance of doing much with it, and you run out of ammo fast.  You run and attack slower than everyone else.  You stand just behind the front lines, blow your load, and then agility-based melee fighters tear you apart. 

I've split my character equally between agi/str and wear mid-range armor.  Against a pure melee fighter, I literally cannot do a damn thing without help.  I can block a dozen attacks and never have an opportunity to strike back because they just swing that much faster than me. 

But I'm alright with this.  I do really well in group fights where I can land some powerful blows if I'm aware enough.  I have a large effect on the initial clash, even though I don't typically survive it.  Outside of that, I have a ton of trouble.  That's the role I built for myself.

What pisses me off about the archer mentality is they seem to think their class deserves more payoff and less disadvantages than everyone else.  Dominant at range and capable in melee.  I think it's BS.  So I'll be switching to archer so I can relax and pick on people from a distance, and then have exciting duels with the outrunnable softened stragglers who break through and challenge me.

Offline Beleidiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2011, 04:06:07 am »
chadz should know whether archer is OP, NA servers are full of archers now.

Yea maybe there are many Archers atm on the Server and exactly that is wy you think they Overpowered there are many Archers ho can Hit you the only thing you see is i was Killed by an Archer but maybe 10 of them Shot on you!Its absolutely clear that everyone Try there Archer class atm because they were Buffed!