Author Topic: Can someone explain archery to me?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline NeoBasilisk

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Can someone explain archery to me?
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »
It looks like archery is drastically different compared to native, and that there are many hidden stats and factors that are not mentioned anywhere in-game or anywhere.  There's also a lot of conflicting information out there, probably due to the many patches.

Can someone explain what affects firing rate, accuracy, and damage?

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
Re: Can someone explain archery to me?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »
It looks like archery is drastically different compared to native, and that there are many hidden stats and factors that are not mentioned anywhere in-game or anywhere.  There's also a lot of conflicting information out there, probably due to the many patches.

Can someone explain what affects firing rate, accuracy, and damage?

Wpf (Weaponprofiency= accuracy+ DMG  and PD (Powerdraw)= DMG

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »
Short version

PD
1. Every PD multiply damage by 0,14.
2. Every PD make your accuracy worse.
3. You need certain level of wpf for every PD. About 15-20 wpf for 1PD. At least 100 wpf for 6PD.
For example: you CAN use strongbow with 5PD and 0 wpf. But you CAN'T do decent damage with your arows. Also you'll be slow as hell and inaccurate.
4. You can heirloom any bow with 6PD and 0 wpf

Rate of fire
depend on speed of the weapon, wpf in archery (more - better).

Accuracy
depend on accuracy of the weapon, wpf in archery (more - better).

Damage
Raw formula: Damage of bow + arrow damage × PD (1 PD = 14%) × WPF in archery (100 wpf = 15%) + bonus from strength
Example: Longbow (26p) + bodkins (6p) x 6PD × 150WPF + bonus from strength = 71 pierce

Type of damage
Depend on bow damage. In cRPG all bows except Long Bow do cut damage.

Arrow's type of damage
Means nothing. Damage depend on bow damage.
Example:
War bow (29 cut) + Bodkins (6 pierce) = 35 cut
Long Bow (26 pierce) + Bodkins (6 pierce) = 33 pierce

Armor
1. All armor drastically reduce your effective WPF.
2. Reduced WPF in archery = decreased rate of fire, effective PD, damage and accuracy.

Offline Mephisto

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • This is where personal text should be.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Misiek_the_Grey
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 09:58:53 pm »
What is the maximum weight you can wear that there is no penalty applied?

Offline Lorenzo

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_SaifaQc
  • IRC nick: Lorenzo
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 10:47:27 pm »
Cup1d... I dont know where you got those info but they dont seem too acurate to me.

Pd does not hurts accuracy. as for the rest I have no idea if what you say is true or if it is complete donkey poo but since there is no official informations posted anywhere I would not advance myself too much.

Here are some things that I think you need to know based on the wiki and my experience.

PowerDraw is the requirement for the bow you wish to use. It boost overall damage, helps your aiming reticule to stay stable for a longer time, gives some sort of boost in arrow travel speed.
Weapon proficiency points in archery will make you draw your arrow faster from your quiver and will lower the time it takes for your reticle to be at is smallest (the moment you can release your arrow). It also reduce the size of the reticule.

Many people go for a couple of points higer than they'r bow require to get more damage and steadyer aim (1 or 2 poits are often enough).
I personaly go for 2 more than I need and dump everything else in agility, pumping all the points I can in archery proficiency.

My advice : Try some stuff out, find the bow that suits you and try to know how many Weapon proficiency points you need in archery to be confortable. It may take a long time to really find what you like. Just retire a couple of times, you'l get 3% xp bonus/tick + you'll get to add a couple of stats to the arrow or bow that you like.

You can have up to 7 (im not sure of the exact number but it's pretty low) weight points before you get a malus on your wpf points.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:49:29 pm by Lorenzo »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »
wpf does not add 15% for 100. Damage=(wpf)(0.15)+0.85
Thus, 100wpf is 100% damage, and 200 wpf would give you the 115%.

Last I checked, it was also confirmed that PD does not hurt accuracy anymore, and makes the arrow take longer to slow down.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
Approximately 5-6 weigth

But you must take into account:
weigth of head armor multiplied by 3
weight of hand armor multiplied by 2

Thats why dedicated archers use «weightless» leather gloves and felt hats.

For Lorenzo
Does PowerDraw increas accuracy in bows?
It does, but cRPG reduces it by lowering your WPF.

Mate I was dedicated archer for 20 gens. Also I have another cd-key and tested about 50 archer builds with «Skip the Fun». With 9PD and 155 wpf you have BAD accuracy. With 6 pd and 173 wpf you have much better accuracy and stable reticule. Try it yourself.

Offline Lorenzo

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_SaifaQc
  • IRC nick: Lorenzo
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:55:00 am »
Dont you think it mostly have to do with the fact that you have +20wpf?

I've always had the impression that more PD gave me a stabler reticule (since strategus-is-down-patch)...

Anyway you dont need that much wpf to shoot straight, after then it's only a matter of speed and timing.

If you feel that you need a lot of time to aim with a small reticle you should go for higher wpf and maybe a strongbow.

If you are more the type of guy that like to do reaction shots and aim without the reticle, 150 wpf, lots of PD and a warbow could be the thing that works for you.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »
Cup1d, how would you explain the screenshots here? http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,7938.msg119321.html#msg119321

With PD6, low PD requirement bows appear more accurate than high PD requirement bows. That implies that PD in excess of bow requirements increases accuracy.

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »
PD has no effect on accuracy, I tested this, same WPP for 7PD and 8 PD. Screenshots are on my steam profile.
7 PD 146 WPP:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197981677092/screenshot/558659834192198609/?tab=public
8PD 146 WPP:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197981677092/screenshot/558659834192194982/?tab=public

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 02:54:42 am »
A difference between 7-8 might not be noticeable though. Perhaps a larger number variation would be more so?

I have heard conflicting views on the PD accuracy effect from so many different people. So it's not entirely clear.

What is clear however is that if you're to do any kind of damage in CRPG with a bow, you need at least 5 PD with the Strongbow. Taking a Strongbow (1 slot) allows you space to take 2 sets of arrows and a 1h. Useful on the ground. The higher end bows limit this with their 2 slots. So honestly it depends whether you want to make a decent hybrid or a pure dedicated archer. A dedicated archer will use the high end bows with all arrows, no melee weapon there. A hybrid will use the strong bow, or take a 1 slot weapon with only 1 slot of arrows with a higher end bow.

Finally, if you're making a hybrid, I'd aim for nothing less than 130 wpf in a bow. Anything less and it's simply to inaccurate and frustrating. The higher the better in this case. I can put up a decent fight with my 1h Espada with no wpf or power strike if I need to. You won't last long, after a few blocks the speed difference is to noticeable, but it can allow you to get out of some sticky situations. But with 130 wpf in bow, that would give you a bit of leeway to put some wpf in either 2h, polearm or 1h depending on your choice. If you want to go pure, then don't put wpf in anything other than archery.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:59:11 am by Overdriven »

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »
Cup1d, how would you explain the screenshots here? http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,7938.msg119321.html#msg119321

With PD6, low PD requirement bows appear more accurate than high PD requirement bows. That implies that PD in excess of bow requirements increases accuracy.

It's because bow with low requirement are more accurate than bow with high requirement with the same wpf, just like xbow .

Offline Deadlysiins

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hosptailler
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Deadlysiins, Annoying_Crossbro, KK_AsianPursuation
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:24:37 am »
Short version?

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »
Ye i can.

GRAB A FUCKING WEAPON.

the end.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login