Author Topic: Sound for Heavy Armor  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Sound for Heavy Armor
« on: June 11, 2011, 01:59:27 am »
Heavy armor provides the greatest protection in the game, however currently we have situations where a character in a huge tin can can silently appear out of nowhere and continue his endless killing spree. Giving heavy armor a distinctive sound would not only keep in line with common sense (silent metal armor?), but also provide some sort of clue that an incredibly powerful unit was approaching, much in the same way there is an auditory clue right before one takes a lance to the backside.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Sound for Heavy Armor
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:21:20 am »
I kind of like the idea, but heavy armor is not as powerful as you make it be. It slows down the wearer considerably and reduces his WPF. You can take one or two hits more (or three from a weak 1h user), but in exchange you gain everyone's attention. Tincans are often mobbed down.

Still like the idea, though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:29:53 am »
cRPG still has tin cans?  :o

Tut TuT all aboard the tin can whine train  :mrgreen:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:37:05 am »
Why whine? I think it could add to cRPG. I often play in Lordly Milanese (well I did before I went shielder this gen), so at least from me, it's certainly not whine.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:05:31 am »
I kind of like the idea, but heavy armor is not as powerful as you make it be. It slows down the wearer considerably and reduces his WPF. You can take one or two hits more (or three from a weak 1h user), but in exchange you gain everyone's attention. Tincans are often mobbed down.

Still like the idea, though.

This is not necessarily true. With the speed change i've seen plate armor wearers easily keep the pace with my 6 ath characters in archery gear. The WPF drawback is noticeable, but when one doesn't have to invest points in categories other than , PS,and  ATH because he can reliably take multiple hits even with poor blocking skills the amount of points left over for Weapon Master makes any weapon speed penalty a moot point.

The running speed issue is ridiculous to the point of almost absurdity, but i planned to touch on that in another thread after i think on whether that is counterbalanced by another drawback, or if "fixing" the issue would simply create other worse problems.

cRPG still has tin cans?  :o

Tut TuT all aboard the tin can whine train  :mrgreen:

I'm sorry, i re-read twice but i missed the valid contribution to the discussion in this post. Would you mind rewording?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:09:13 am by Ylca »

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:15:24 pm »
i think we need foot step sounds in general in cRPG. correct me when im wrong but doesnt the single player has infantry sounds? would only be the equivalent of the sound of galloping horses in game...i think its time that infantry running makes footstep sounds too! :D
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »
i think we need foot step sounds in general in cRPG. correct me when im wrong but doesnt the single player has infantry sounds? would only be the equivalent of the sound of galloping horses in game...i think its time that infantry running makes footstep sounds too! :D

Perhaps add footsteps for all infantry and make the volume scale based on weight? An archer wearing nothing might be quiet, and a medium armored guy might not make much noise until he was reasonably close, a heavy armor would be clanking from a fair distance away, however.

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:35:41 pm »
This could help those people who love ninja builds do something like this. Won't expect them coming up behind you since they are silent, as opposed to a clanking tin can?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 03:49:54 pm »
Yes, but together with a little price decrease for heavy armors and an increase in horse sounds volume.

Offline Glaurung

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Glaurung, Fallen_Gnome, Fallen_Bernard_le_renard
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:55:52 pm »
Balance aside, it would just sound awesome. :P

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 04:14:55 pm »
Wake up and start using the freakin More metal sounds and your problems will be solved... god..  :arrow: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,6183.0.html
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:49:30 pm »
Heavy armor provides the greatest protection in the game, however currently we have situations where a character in a huge tin can can silently appear out of nowhere and continue his endless killing spree. Giving heavy armor a distinctive sound would not only keep in line with common sense (silent metal armor?), but also provide some sort of clue that an incredibly powerful unit was approaching, much in the same way there is an auditory clue right before one takes a lance to the backside.

Good idea, but not sure if it could be implemented. It might be tricky for the game to decide between what is a "metal" armor and what is a "nonmetal armor."
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 10:50:21 pm »
I've asked for this so many times..

YES!

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 12:01:34 am »
Wake up and start using the freakin More metal sounds and your problems will be solved... god..  :arrow: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,6183.0.html

Agreed. Not at all hard to back-up and install, and so awesome. Also with ~ key at your disposal, you should rarely, if ever get snuck up on outside of the heat of battle.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.