Author Topic: Tips to fight a 1h shielder  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Tips to fight a 1h shielder
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 06:07:59 pm »
I use all this attack techniques and work quite well against bad or average shielders.
Still meet some great shielder (Cyber,Kansuke,Kingrimm,Dima,Olwen...) in battle is worst nightmare and only rational reaction in this situation is run away.

For fighing best shielders you need shieldbreaker weapon, very good blocking skills and hope for best after shield broke, because best shielders are usually great in manual blocking, too.

And most important thing: use good helmet. :)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 08:43:24 pm »
Since I can't "react' block worth a crap, I rely on playing the odds and "guessing" where they might swing. And I've found most shielders love to open with a left swing, ESPECIALLY pick users.

Offline Haru_Takeda

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • my glands are bigger than your glands.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: rottencrotchHaru, JesusHGHChrist, PowerGamingSpergLord, Palestinian_Takeda, Baby_Haru
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:43:36 am »
You only have to worry about the backswing and overhead with 1hrs (unless its a stabby wep) so focus your blocks on those as that is mainly what 1hrs will throw at you.

I find it almost impossible to block a quick 1hr that feints to overhead, so against good shielders, its all about range and dodging swings.

Offline Rhygar666

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 107
  • möp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Rhygay666_HRE
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:25 am »
what annoys me as shielder the most are 2 things
1. Backpaddlers hit, walk out of range, hit again etc..
2. If you kick / hit trough the block at the right moment
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:32 am »
It's awesome how many shield users will run right up to you, never for a moment anticipating that you know what the E button does. Learn it and love it, along with blocking and feinting.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:13 am »
It's awesome how many shield users will run right up to you, never for a moment anticipating that you know what the E button does. Learn it and love it, along with blocking and feinting.
Be careful, though, certain shielders would notice the "ready" stance as they rush up. I would counter this with a side step and a backhand swing from the left (or your right) as your kick leaves you very vulnerable to incoming attacks.

Of course... Most 2H/Pole I've met just spam their attacks against me, back peddle out of my range since my 1H shielder in full plate with all the wpf reduced are just too slow to keep up. (Not to mention it's a hybrid 1H/Pole cav build, 0 athletics)

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:07:03 am »
Since I can't "react' block worth a crap, I rely on playing the odds and "guessing" where they might swing. And I've found most shielders love to open with a left swing, ESPECIALLY pick users.

Tis true - left swing is the most effective and, seemingly, the fastest attack. Most shielders will go for left swing because

1) Almost 100% to hit the head
2) Lowest swing distance
3) "sneaky" animation - right swing is very wide open, while left is "hidden" behind
4) It's quite fast - especially when the shielders turns at the same moment. Instant headslah = death.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 05:55:08 pm »
Axe spam
Axe spam
Axe spam!!!!

If you don't have an axe, try to run around the right side of them and use a right slash to get behind their shield. 

Or use another teammate to try to turn them around (like flipping a turtle over to get the soft side).

Above all, use your range.