Author Topic: Suggestions for next generation.  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Adthegreat

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Landsknecht_Adthegreat
Suggestions for next generation.
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »
So I am nearing level 31 (about 500k to go) and am starting to think about what to play as next. My current and first generation is a dedicated crossbow with 1h ( I used to carry a shield too, but the slots update made that impossible). I had a lot of fun with it, even though I never really killed much.
I suppose I have numerous questions:
  • What with the discussions on weapon balance, and crossbows looking like they will get nerfed (which to a serious arbalist is painful to hear), is it worth it to continue using it, even if it gets made much weaker?
  • Also, if I were to keep using it, would it be worth it to put a heirloom point into the crossbow, the bolts or possibly even my armor?
  • Considering that I can't use a shield anymore, where should I put my points next time? I have 19/18 now, and I already maxed all the agility based skills out.

Anyway, in short, I'm just looking for advice for my next generation, so thanks for any feedback  :D

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Suggestions for next generation.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »
I wouldn't worry so much about playing a class that you are afraid will get nerfed, just play something you think you'll enjoy.  If you liked the ranged aspect of xbow/1h you could give archery a try.

If you enjoyed being a crossbowman and want to heirloom one of those items I'd recommend heirlooming steel bolts.  They get a good damage boost from being heirloomed, and you won't be in a situation where you heirloom one crossbow yet want to use another; the bolts will always be used.

If you want a build for dedicated crossbowman here's my recommendation (I defer to others more knowledgeable since I've never actually played one, but I know you need 15 str for Arb and then as much wpf as you can.)

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
    Agility: 24
    Hit points: 54

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 2
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 8
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 91
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 160
    Throwing: 1

Depending on your preference you could skip the wpf in one hand and put it all into crossbow.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:43:30 pm »
I'm going for 15/27 50hp 8 ath 9 wm.
I will just use a 2 slot Arbalest. No melee.

With 8 athletics I will have no problem avoiding melee fights.

But that expensive extra WM is probably not worth it.
I will maybe get something like 15/24 with 4 points in IF and 3 points in riding instead.
Not talking about shooting from horse. Just to stay alive and to travel quickly. 2 riding (sumpter horse) is just too bad so riding 3 is a minimum.

When I think of it, 4 or more riding is probably the best. There is often a free horse around and a high riding skill will probably be better to get you out of tough melee sitations than a few extra IF points.
And maybe even put those 3 IF points in PS instead. Then you could try out lancing from horse as well. To be honest, you don't really need wpf in polearm (unless you are dedicated lancer) to be effective. However PS is quite important or you will most often have to 2 or 3 hit people to kill them...
With a courser you will get the best speed bonus so 3PS 0 polearm will probably work quite well.

If the character would be used in clan battles I would however made a build like MrShine suggested.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:59:46 pm by Riddaren »

Offline Adthegreat

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Now that you mention it, the most important part is to have fun, and I certainly did have fun so far this generation. In fact if xbows do get nerfed then using that will be even more special since there will be much less of them around.

That is a good point about the bolts, however since the moment I could, I have always used the heavy crossbow. I find it more useful to be able to reload more quickly instead of hitting a tiny bit harder. It seems to me that heirlooming the crossbow itself would be better since I would get: extra reloading speed, accuracy, missile speed and damage. Although maybe an arbalest would be better for a dedicated crossbow man like me?

As for wpf, at the moment I have 104 in 1H and 130 in xbow. Would 160 really make much of a difference compared to 130? I think having a tiny bit more 1h would be good for an emergency.

I probably messed up my current build since I knew less than now when I made it:

Level 30
Str: 19
Agi: 18

Iron Flesh: 6
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 3
Athletics: 6
Weapon Master: 6

1h: 104
xbow: 130

Looks like the build you posted would be a bit better suited for an arbalist than my current one  :wink:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:03:14 pm by Adthegreat »

Offline Havoc134

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:59:23 pm »
I'm going for 15/27 50hp 8 ath 9 wm.
I will just use a 2 slot Arbalest. No melee.

With 8 athletics I will have no problem avoiding melee fights.

But that expensive extra WM is probably not worth it.
I will maybe get something like 15/24 with 4 points in IF and 3 points in riding instead.
Not talking about shooting from horse. Just to stay alive and to travel quickly. 2 riding (sumpter horse) is just too bad so riding 3 is a minimum.

When I think of it, 4 or more riding is probably the best. There is often a free horse around and a high riding skill will probably be better to get me out of tough melee sitations than a few extra IF points.

If the character would be used in clan battles I would however made a build like MrShine suggestested.

Actually I tested the difference in xbow wpp with a well made arbalest and the difference from 150 to 155 to 159 is phenomenal, much better than it ever was before. So if you're going up to 180 wpp in xbows with an arbalest, you'll be performing surgeries with the damn thing. And its rarely difficult to find a high damage weapon when you're running around on the battlefield so don't worry about melee

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Interesting... didn't know that at all.
Then I will definately go 15/27 8ath 9wm. To bad I won't have +3 loomed Arbalest as well. It's quite a good damage increase you get by heirlooming it compared to melee weapons and bows.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »
Yes, the build I use on my dedicated crossbowman is designed around the arbalest and 2x steel bolts with a 0 slot hammer for self defence;
    * Strength: 15
    * Agility: 24
    * Ironflesh: 2
    * Power Strike: 5
    * Athletics: 8
    * Weapon Master: 8
   * Crossbow: 173

The arbalest gets extremely accurate at high proficiency, even moreso when heirloomed. Whatever nerfs happen to crossbows, just play the class which brings you the most fun. If dedicated crossbowman ceases to be fun and enough players stop playing the class then that will be a clear indicator to the devs that the class did not need a nerf. Dedicated crossbowmen are fine, 0 wpf shotgunners are the problem.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Adthegreat

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »
Yes, the build I use on my dedicated crossbowman is designed around the arbalest and 2x steel bolts

So you also suggest heir-looming the bolts?

Dedicated crossbowmen are fine, 0 wpf shotgunners are the problem.

I completely agree, it's a shame that they put the dedicated ones into a bad light.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »
So you also suggest heir-looming the bolts?

As someone else said the bolts will stay with you whatever crossbow you end up using, give more ammo and a fair damage increase too. I would heirloom the bolts first.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »
15/24 works like a charm. 160~ wpp is good. I can't be arsed to go 15/27 and be unable (well..) to kill someone in melee. A mace and 5 ps even kills plate guys, if your patient.

I would not heirloom the bolts first, but then again I wouldn't be using anything other then the arbalest.

Just five looms left mate.
Monkeys!

Offline Adthegreat

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »
What are the stat increases for a 1x heir-loomed arbalest? If it counter acts the slow-loading a bit that might be tempting.

As for bolts, a damage increase of 1 and ammo increase of 1 doesn't seem like such of an award for my first retirement. Perhaps once I get bonus xp per tick and can retire faster the bolts would make more sense :?

But, anyway, so far there have been some excellent suggestions. Thanks a lot everyone :D

Edit: Just got an arbalest for a special discount price on the market.
Might as well finish this gen in style  8-)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:33:26 pm by Adthegreat »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »
What are the stat increases for a 1x heir-loomed arbalest? If it counter acts the slow-loading a bit that might be tempting.

As for bolts, a damage increase of 1 and ammo increase of 1 doesn't seem like such of an award for my first retirement. Perhaps once I get bonus xp per tick and can retire faster the bolts would make more sense :?

But, anyway, so far there have been some excellent suggestions. Thanks a lot everyone :D

Edit: Just got an arbalest for a special discount price on the market.
Might as well finish this gen in style  8-)

If you know that you are going to be using one xbow and one xbow only then by all means heirloom that one first since you're correct it will give you the most benefit.  Just keep in mind that if you change your mind down the road you can keep using the heirloomed steel bolts while your heirlooming of the xbow could be 'wasted'.  I suppose the marketplace can help alleviate this concern further, so really it's up to you.

E: +1 heirloomed arbalest gets +1 to speed rating, accuracy, missile speed, and +2 to damage.  A masterworked version will ultimately be +3 accuracy, +3 speed rating, +4 missile speed, and +8(!) damage.  Masterworked bolts will ultimately give +1 (2 when you use 2 stacks) ammo and +5 damage. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:44:29 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Adthegreat

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:38:21 am »
So I tried out my new arbalest and it doesn't even reload that much slower than the heavy.
I am now sure of my plan of action, thanks everyone who replied.