Poll

Read the post first. Should armor soak been nerfed and reduce buffed?

No, it's fine as it is.
44 (25.7%)
Yes, slightly reduce the armor soak for less glances and buff reduce in return. Less glances and 1hit deaths.
53 (31%)
Yes, greatly nerf soak and buff reduce decently. No more glances and 1hits please.
28 (16.4%)
Buff soak and reduce. Armor should be worth it and glances are fine.
29 (17%)
Nerf soak and reduce. Armor is too strong currently.
3 (1.8%)
Leave the values alone but lower the interruption threshold(to 0) to make glancing blows always interrupt.
7 (4.1%)
I don't care.
7 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: Possible change to armor handling: increase damage reduce, decrease soak effect.  (Read 12398 times)

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
Tzar, your trolling sig gives u -points. -1 for everyone that you make touch their screen.

It's his complete lack of logic combined with wild assertions derived from engrained confirmation bias.  Were Paul to come on here and claim the sky is blue, Tzar would be hot on his heels declaring otherwise.  He reminds me of my Girlfriend's brother who suffers from Aspergers.  He will frequently and violently argue against any agreement reached be his peers, regardless of how factual it is.  Say the sky is blue, he will be inclined to say 'no it isn't'.

The distinct ineffectiveness of swords as a ranged character was always quite odd.  I have been using a langes messer with 5 powerstrike and 1 proficiency and encountered more bounces than a bouncy ball in a bouncy castle.  What exactly does 1 proficiency represent?  Has your character never wielded a weapon before in his life? Is he some sort of spastic? It's really quite perplexing.  Default proficiency (1) should represent a historical martial average in my opinion.  Points investment should define a level of distinction in that area.

I think this is worth a shot, it would certainly improve the value of swords to people with less melee investment.  If there are unforeseen and undesirable consequences identified by a consensus then it can be rolled back.  What's the issue?  I am going to do my impression of Tzar now:  "If you are a plate user and can't be arsed blocking, please feel free to disagree with me."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:38:03 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Maybe, if it isn't hardcoded (which I think it might be), change the soak slightly, then change how much armor pierce/blunt mitigates. This way you're not completely screwing with balance for every class and every weapon. Though I'm all for the initial proposition.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
What exactly does 1 proficiency represent?  Has your character never wielded a weapon before in his life? Is he some sort of spastic? It's really quite perplexing.  Default proficiency (1) should represent a historical martial average in my opinion.  Points investment should define a level of distinction in that area.

Considering that we start as peasants, 1 proficiency really does mean that the character has never had such a weapon in his hands ever.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Maybe, if it isn't hardcoded (which I think it might be), change the soak slightly, then change how much armor pierce/blunt mitigates. This way you're not completely screwing with balance for every class and every weapon. Though I'm all for the initial proposition.

It's not, the values are actually very easy to change. Take a look at your module.ini.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Considering that we start as peasants, 1 proficiency really does mean that the character has never had such a weapon in his hands ever.

It's a common misconception that peasants are physically weak, they're merely untrained, undisciplined and lacking in equipment.  Give one a sword and he would be more than capable of injuring a knight in plate if said knight was too lazy to block.  Which is what we are discussing here, the ability to injure, not ability in swordplay.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:28:18 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
It's a common misconception that peasants are physically weak, they're merely untrained, undisciplined and lacking in equipment.  Give one a sword and he would be more than capable of injuring a knight in plate if said knight was too lazy to block.  Which is what we are discussing here, the ability to injure, not ability in swordplay.

Then if people could hurt plate users even with very low strength, the game balance would go towards agi even more than it already is. Besides, peasants start at 3 strength, so they are physically weak in this game  :lol:

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Then if people could hurt plate users even with very low strength, the game balance would go towards agi even more than it already is. Besides, peasants start at 3 strength, so they are physically weak in this game  :lol:

3 strength would not enable them to use military grade weaponry, so they would not be able to damage plate.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
omg at posts in this thread people are so clueless.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Really lookking forward to this change (hope you do a  big shift after testing a smaller shift.  Would really add to the skill requirement as less 1 shotting/glancing.  ANything that adds more skill and reduces luck is a good addition to the game, great idea Paul.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline IceManX

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Armor need to be more powerful.
At the moment it makes no difference for me wearing Transitional, Plate Mittens and so on.
I got killed in 1-3 hits.
If I am wearing a Kuyak and only leather items for other slots i got killed in 1-3 hits also.

Armor ist the most expensive Stuff ingame, it makes you slower and your WPF are decreased.
You have 4 Armor Slots and the gear can be expensive over 50k Gold only for your Armor.

In good old medieval an armor was the main important thing, it saved your life.
Only Longbows and Crossbows could dmg an heavy plate armor. The more you were away from them arrows didnt dmg it.
Same with Cutting Weapons, they didnt hurt Armors very well. A Sword became blunt dmg and could break your bones instead, but it didnt cut through the armor.

More Power, more soak and more dmg reduce for Armors!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:11:21 am by IceManX »

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
Armor need to be more powerful.
At the moment it makes no difference for me wearing Transitional, Plate Mittens and so on.
I got killed in 1-3 hits.
If I am wearing a Kuyak and only leather items for other slots i got killed in 1-3 hits also.

Armor ist the most expensive Stuff ingame, it makes you slower and your WPF are decreased.
You have 4 Armor Slots and the gear can be expensive over 50k Gold only for your Armor.

In good old medieval an armor was the main important thing, it saved your life.
Only Longbows and Crossbows could dmg an heavy plate armor. The more you were away from them arrows didnt dmg it.
Same with Cutting Weapons, they didnt hurt Armors very well. A Sword became blunt dmg and could break your bones instead, but it didnt cut through the armor.

More Power, more soak and more dmg reduce for Armors!

It wouldn't be balanced. Do you want everyone running around in plate armor? Increase both soak and damage reduce more, and you might as well remove most cutting weapons. Perhaps they could still have their use as archer and peasant shankers though!...

Edit: This change will decrease the damage you take, meaning more hits before you go down, especially if you're wearing plate.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:57:02 am by Lezard »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
It wouldn't be balanced. Do you want everyone running around in plate armor? Increase both soak and damage reduce more, and you might as well remove most cutting weapons. Perhaps they could still have their use as archer and peasant shankers though!...

Edit: This change will decrease the damage you take, meaning more hits before you go down, especially if you're wearing plate.

You won't have everyone running around in plate, because upkeep doesn't allow it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Atm plate isnt worth the weight and speed nerg it incurs. Your better of doging the hits than tanking them. Simples.

If this buffs the ability to tank as a "plate noob" then do it. If it makes plate worse then its completly BS and only encorages more agility builds.

Agility builds which own in duels and can survive battles as often as the Str battle builds

FUUUUU
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:59:52 am by Casimir »
Turtles

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
You are not that slow in heavy armour. Well, you need a few seconds longer to reach the battleline, but during the fight you can act quite fast.
And is is not, that heavy armour offers no real protection.
Without iron flesh in a lighter outfit (30 av) i fall after 1 - 2 hits, in medium (46 av) it takes mostly 2 - 3 hits and with heavy equipment (63 av) about 4 and more hits to bring me down.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:44:56 pm by Mala »

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
You won't have everyone running around in plate, because upkeep doesn't allow it.

Not every single player of course, but many more will use plate. It's mostly plate nubs who can't block or handle agility builds that would want more soak.

If this buffs the ability to tank as a "plate noob" then do it. If it makes plate worse then its completly BS and only encorages more agility builds.

It wouldn't make plate worse. You just can't spam all day and hope everything glance off your plate. There will still be soak, and in order to actually do any notable damage to armor (which has increased damage reduce), you still need strength and powerstrike.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:33:31 pm by Lezard »