Author Topic: What got you into crpg?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline BlackPanda

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • USA
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: BlackPanda \ blubbernugget
  • IRC nick: BlackPanda
What got you into crpg?
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:32:27 am »
+8
(click to show/hide)

Who or what got you into playing crpg for the 1st time and you ended up staying? I dont know why but im just really curious about how everyone else got started.

I guess I'll go first. I met cosby and undertax on PW and we hung out a few times on teamspeak and ate shit. Eventually he asked me if i wanted to try out crpg cause he was in some clan or something like that. I was like fuck it, I had tried it once before for like 10 seconds and i unistalled it. Thats when I first joined HoC back in 2013 for like a few months, they're all really cool guys too. (except zlotz, that guys sucks)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:14:03 pm by BlackPanda »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: What got you into crpg?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:38:27 am »
+6
was looking for some sort of persistance after coming off of WoW and cRPG mod was it.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:17 am »
+1
Solution oriented pdates that took community input and knowledge in account, developers with high levels of game knowledge and community managers that were selfless and community friendly got me going.

Offline Albus

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:41:08 am »
+5
tried it out after i got bored of native scrims, ended up getting slapped around because of my peasant gear so oodle gave me 50k, wasted it on stupid shit and quit for a bit. Few months later gave it another try and babyowl gave me another 50k and he told me not to buy stupid shit and i actually got into the game. Joined blackcompany and Holokron, zaleck, and mr.killer taught me strat and have been playing since

thanks for giving me money guys
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:44:29 am by Albus »
"Nothing quite like the feeling of getting clotheslined by a six and a half foot longsword"-Brick_Cavity
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:45 am »
+7
me and my highschool buddies started playing it and i never stopped

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:08:40 am »
+8
found a vid on the mod on youtube,  installed it.  was my first experience with online m&b.  shortly after I bought my first mail and norse helmet and stood in a shield wall with 20 random guys,  arrows crashing into the wall and flying passt,  some guy on a stepp horse with two shields,  later turned out to be merc_phaz /phasey??  running up and down the line,  giving commands.  lines crashing into each other.

later I would have my first horse,  with the superior oversight taking in all of the battlefield, I would grasp little details:  some superhero in a crusader helmet (olwen) taking out half a team,  dave and gnjus doing their fahggy xbow shit,  full plate archers headshotting from a hill across a hole map.  ladderpulting.  The_Finn,  still sporting a cataphract back then,  flying through the chaos and beautifuly letting his lance dance.

How could I not have stayed.  How could I not have fallen in love.

qq...
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:27:06 pm »
+2
Played about 400 hours of native and then looked for a mod with online campaign. Played pretty casually until Reinhardt recruited Axeman and I.

Ever since then...

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:49:01 pm »
+4
I don't remember for sure how i started but what kept me in the game was those russian and german pro players.I would die and find the pro player among the 100 players than watch how he swings dodges feints evades,the way they played always excited me i forgot most of their names now though.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:05:41 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

What a chain of events that turned out to be!

I started back in 2010 when the mod first came out, downloaded it to try a persistent mod for online warband also. Holy shit did I find it! Prior to that I played the original M&B for like 200+ hours, then Warband beta whose online battles were the big hit for me. Didn't really know anyone here, but I quickly found an amazing community, despite constant trolling  :lol: . Grinded for DAYS before I finally got decent armor and weapons, my first shield, and my first horse... the ole' OP Rouncey.

Since then I never have left horseback, even to take a shit, I have a bag for that.

But yeah joined a few clans over the years, then made Acre, handed over Acre to James for a few years, came back. Now we here.

(click to show/hide)
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 04:46:47 pm »
+3
me and my highschool buddies started playing it and i never stopped

same.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:50 pm »
+2
Got bored of NW essentially. There were to many Sharpes and the linebattles were retarded.

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 05:06:04 pm »
Got bored of NW essentially. There were to many Sharpes and the linebattles were retarded.

I always thought NW would be amazing with a strategus mode. Shame the concept was never re-purposed.

Offline Zeus_

• The Best Caboose
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 447
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HoC
  • Game nicks: Zeus
  • IRC nick: Zeus?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 05:18:57 pm »
+2
My friend Taxtros got me into it and I joined Malta with him, needless to say that didn't last long, jumped around a few different clans and eventually settled in HoC.

This mod was my first experience with M&B... I never even tried native until like a year and a half after I started playing.

EDIT: Fun fact, c-rpg was the first game I downloaded after building my computer... I regret nothing
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:29:39 pm by Zeus_ »

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »
+2
Played the very early versions after seeing it on the server lists from what I remember, I got hooked as it had progression and I love progression in games. I remember joining Order of the Rose for a while until The Fallen appeared, with which I joined under Beauchamp. I stuck around because the mod was consistently improved, updated, new ideas tested, new features added and well the drama was just a part of the fun too lol. Back then anyone that was even mediocre at manual blocking was god like as most players just sucked lol, I can't even remember how many years ago it was that I first played cRPG but I know it was a fair time before I had my first kid and he is due to turn 6 on Friday. One of the best mods ever for any game while it lasted.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
+5
Visited my rl buddy Hideyoshi once (we used to live in the same neighborhood as kiddos) to play some Risk (board game) and drink a bit, he showed me "that awesome turkish medieval game" and when I saw it I was like "yeeeh, looks like shit, not gonna look into that"

But lateron, his buddies which I knew a bit aswell (Taimic and Schmackofatz) got the game aswell to play online and they convinced me to get it aswell. We 4 first ran around on PW and Mount and Musket to do some random shit. About 1-2 weeks later Hideyoshi started to talk about some crpg mod (which I thought at first was retarded since I imagined it with orcs and stuff...cause, you know, rpg). Since he started playing crpg more than PW, we decided to switch to it aswell. Hideyoshi had already joined a clan called "Shogunate" but he warned us that there's going to be a skill test for it, according to our performance we'd also get ranked differently (yeah that was a thing back then, Shogunate was even divided into 4 subclans, which was kinda cool. There was some kind of discipline and competition within the clan). So for the next 1-2 weeks we regulary met online and trained on the old Nditions Duel Server, hideyoshi as the "grand master" and us as the three recruits. It felt kind of like a bootcamp and it was great since we learned a LOT of stuff within a short time.
When we were tested on the duel server we were accepted, got our ranks and were teamkilled by Captain_Georges, as it was tradition. And everything else what followed is history.

At first I stood because I had quite some fun with the people of my clan, lateron when Byz died down, I already knew the regular players and had fun talking and playing with them. Also, playing crossbow kinda felt like fishing for me, it's both exciting yet relaxing. Funny how my ranged character at first started off as a parody to ranged cancer and then turned me into one of them. I used to play 2h/lance cav hybrid for 1 1/2 years before I even touched ranged.

after 4 or 5 years on multiplayer, I tried the singleplayer game for the first time :lol:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:49:56 pm by Ikarus »