Author Topic: Just some fun facts about the corrazinas no one will care about  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
Re: Just some fun facts about the corrazinas no one will care about
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2018, 09:12:21 pm »
If the armour in either the test or the hobbyists isnt exactly identical in weight, shape and design to the armour used historically then it proves nothing one way or the other.

The study just proves what is already basic common sense, that you are trading mobility and energy for protection.

The fact that you are wearing  well crafted or evenly distributed armor doesn't matter because it is the leg armor that is causing most of the extra energy expenditure.  Modern infantrymen don't expend as much energy while carrying the same overall loads  because they don't have extra weight dispersed on their legs.

Offline Deus Immortalis

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Historical maniac
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Immortales
  • Game nicks: Deus_Immortalis
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2018, 09:16:06 pm »
The study just proves what is already basic common sense, that you are trading mobility and energy for protection.

The fact that you are wearing  well crafted or evenly distributed armor doesn't matter because it is the leg armor that is causing most of the extra energy expenditure.

The leg armor which weighs about 6-7 kilos.

Yes... very much extra energy expensiture. Oh so much...

Face it, it's basically insignificant
bUFf pLaTE pLeaSe

Offline Grytviken

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 09:18:04 pm »
+1
'medieval historic community' my ass

If we take a look at the armor they used you can immediately see it wasn't authentic. Those were scientists, who knew their stuff when it came down to measuring. They didn't know jack shit about armors, and it's easy to see

First off, they already said they were using armors that weigh 50 kilos. Which is bollocks, because no combat armor ever found has weighed 50 kilos. They have weighed around 25. That's half

Second off, they said that it was uncomfortable to wear.

Which also means tat the armor was completely wrong, because armor was made to be comfortable. People who own authentic armor state it to be comfortable to wear, move and fight in.

So who am I gonna believe? A bunch of scientists whit no expertise in the medieval armors, or the worlds leading armor expert Tobias Capwell and what he is saying? I think I'm gonna go with the armor expert

Again any hobbyist can run around their house in their armor or do backflips for some youtube video and think everything is fine because they are not showing examples of prolonged activity and it's consequences. This study incorporates finding actual abnormal human breathing patterns while wearing plate armor and monitors and calculates the extra energy expended into real statistics , something a hobbyist or armor expert is not doing or thinking about.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:34:32 pm by Grytviken »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37:03 pm »
No see the actual people who lived through the time period and used the things in war were just misguided. Fat american academics with a bone to pick have proven scientifically that plate armor was useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_of_the_Thirty

"After several hours of fighting there were four dead on the French side and two on the English side. Both sides were exhausted and agreed to a break for refreshments and bandaging of injuries. After the battle resumed, the English leader Bemborough was wounded and then killed, apparently by du Bois. At this point the English faction formed a tight defensive body, which the French repeatedly attacked. A German soldier called Croquart is said to have displayed the greatest prowess in rallying the Anglo-Breton defence"

Wow I'm sure there's absolutely no other contemporary accounts of armor in battle. Fighting for hours, literally impossible man, not like the use of armor in war stretches back to fucking antiquity. That's some powerful drugs you're on Salad.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grytviken

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 09:45:05 pm »
No see the actual people who lived through the time period and used the things in war were just misguided. Fat american academics with a bone to pick have proven scientifically that plate armor was useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_of_the_Thirty

"After several hours of fighting there were four dead on the French side and two on the English side. Both sides were exhausted and agreed to a break for refreshments and bandaging of injuries. After the battle resumed, the English leader Bemborough was wounded and then killed, apparently by du Bois. At this point the English faction formed a tight defensive body, which the French repeatedly attacked. A German soldier called Croquart is said to have displayed the greatest prowess in rallying the Anglo-Breton defence"

Wow I'm sure there's absolutely no other contemporary accounts of armor in battle. Fighting for hours, literally impossible man, not like the use of armor in war stretches back to fucking antiquity. That's some powerful drugs you're on Salad.

LOL I never said plate armor was useless please don't quote me on things I never said. I said it has serious drawbacks that wouldn't be apparent to a casual enthusiast or historian. I've already shown examples of tournament fighting Oberyn. It's also important to remember that these tournament knights were the equivalent of modern day professional athletes, they were not the norm for society at the time and even among them quality and skill varied greatly. These tournaments were heavily regulated and refereed and are not a good example of an actual medieval battle with prolonged combat with no breaks.

It's also important to take some of these accounts with a grain of salt. The grandeur and tall tales often came before reality and facts back then when putting their kingdom's reputation or honor into question.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:57:46 pm by Grytviken »

Offline Deus Immortalis

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Historical maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:17 pm »
Again any hobbyist can run around their house in their armor or do backflips for some youtube video and think everything is fine because they are not showing examples of prolonged activity and it's consequences. This study incorporates finding actual abnormal human breathing patterns while wearing plate armor and monitors and calculates the extra energy expended into real statistics , something a hobbyist or armor expert is not doing or thinking about.

I said, one youtuber who owns armor has worn it several hours in a couple of cases - up to 6 hours or so. Not sitting still. He was fine in it.

And you seem to think that medieval battles required you to fight with a lot of stamina absorption. Simply not the case. Formations were rigid, with rarely any extended 1v1 combat ever happening. At most you'd stand poking someone for a few hours at max until they or you decided to rout. It's not like you can't catch a break either. No one can fight for hours upon hours without rest, armor or no armor.

Yes, you tire faster in armor. That doesn't make it useless. It protects you against the countless arrows, the countless hits, the countless blows that would otherwise kill you. Its worth a bit of compromise in mobility and stamina, especially when you don't need said mobility and stamina to fight effectively.
bUFf pLaTE pLeaSe

Offline Deus Immortalis

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Historical maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 09:51:04 pm »
LOL I never said plate armor was useless please don't quote me on things I never said. I said it has serious drawbacks that wouldn't be apparent to a casual enthusiast or historian. I've already shown examples of tournament fighting Oberyn. It's also important to remember that these tournament knights were the equivalent of modern day professional athletes, they were not the norm for society at the time and even among them quality and skill varied greatly. These tournaments were heavily regulated and refereed and are not a good example of an actual medieval battle with prolonged combat with no breaks.

All drawbacks are apparent to anyone who owns armor Salad. Because people who own it seek to reenact as much as they can. They train in it, fight in it, test it to its limits. They'd know far better than you would
bUFf pLaTE pLeaSe

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 10:00:52 pm »
+1
dont forget that smithing and forging today is very different from the medieval times. today we have light weight metals/alloys and technology they didnt have back then.

not to mention foam and other materials for padding and so on.

also, correct me if im wrong, but i believe armours of 50kg+ was only for cav

Offline Deus Immortalis

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Historical maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 10:03:50 pm »
dont forget that smithing and forging today is very different from the medieval times. today we have light weight metals/alloys and technology they didnt have back then.

not to mention foam and other materials for padding and so on

Yes, but the people I'm talking about have authentic stuff. The closest thing to medieval quality steel, thickness, the padding etc.
For example Tobias Capwell and Ian LaSpina. Their armors are as close as possible to armors of the medieval time.
bUFf pLaTE pLeaSe

Offline Grytviken

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 10:13:36 pm »
All drawbacks are apparent to anyone who owns armor Salad. Because people who own it seek to reenact as much as they can. They train in it, fight in it, test it to its limits. They'd know far better than you would

I'm not trying to poke fun at your hobby, i'm just saying comparing reenactment to reality is not a good argument. It's not exactly what I would call a "hardcore" representation of Medieval life or warfare .

Cool to watch but it doesn't prove anything because it's extremely low energy and not realistic at all. ( obviously for safety reasons )

Offline Deus Immortalis

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Historical maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:38 pm »
I'm not trying to poke fun at your hobby, i'm just saying comparing reenactment to reality is not a good argument. It's not exactly what I would call a "hardcore" representation of Medieval life or warfare .

Cool to watch but it doesn't prove anything because it's extremely low energy and not realistic at all. ( obviously for safety reasons )

No, that is not what I'm talking about. Those people often wear unhistorical armors, which have too much padding, too many safety features.
Real armor was worn with minimal padding, there were no visor locks (well except for a few helmets), and the battles were even less chaotic
bUFf pLaTE pLeaSe

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
Re: Just some fun facts about the corazzinas no one will care about
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2018, 03:48:57 am »
At least you are enjoying writing this shit
normally I'd prefer to post a colorful insult, but today I'd prefer to just say that you're a boring and unimaginative person if the intent behind this post is what I suspect it was.
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.