Author Topic: is there a method to block?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Zarthon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
is there a method to block?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »
i was never very good at 2h blocking so chose a shield and 1 hander. Some people are so quick at blocking,is there a way about it?

Offline kastellan

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CotgS - Children of the green Sun
  • Game nicks: CotgS_Kastellan
Re: is there a method to block?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:25 pm »
Yeah, it's called "lots of practising"

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:20 pm »
The more you practice the better you get at it.  Going to duel servers helps alot, and over time you won't need to jerk your mouse very far to block swings and things will get smoother. 

Getting familiar with the enemy's weapons and capabilities helps a bunch too. 
For example: knowing the awlpike can only thrust and overhead makes manual blocking much simpler, whereas a steel pick has 3 attacks (can't thrust) and a greatsword has all 4 options.

When you become more familiar with the game the enemy's positioning also can give you a good guess as to what swing they'll use.  Thrust generally has long range but bounces when up close, so people might thrust during the start of a battle but likely won't risk it as much if you are both face hugging. 
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:33:37 pm »
i was never very good at 2h blocking so chose a shield and 1 hander. Some people are so quick at blocking,is there a way about it?
ITS ALL HAXX.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »
its funny after a while of playing it just kind of becomes automatic/unconcious, now I sometimes block directions without even knowing what direction it is.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »
The more you practice the better you get at it.  Going to duel servers helps alot, and over time you won't need to jerk your mouse very far to block swings and things will get smoother. 

Getting familiar with the enemy's weapons and capabilities helps a bunch too. 
For example: knowing the awlpike can only thrust and overhead makes manual blocking much simpler, whereas a steel pick has 3 attacks (can't thrust) and a greatsword has all 4 options.

When you become more familiar with the game the enemy's positioning also can give you a good guess as to what swing they'll use.  Thrust generally has long range but bounces when up close, so people might thrust during the start of a battle but likely won't risk it as much if you are both face hugging.

Who you're facing will also matter, as different people have different combat styles.

Back when I used greatswords, I used to almost exclusively stab, even when up close. As you fight people, you'll find that specific people will favor certain combat styles.

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:09:42 am »
I am pretty sure some peoples are using some sort of autoblock hack.

Exemple: When someone get ganked by 6 players from the front he block all their attacks then i come from behind while the 6 other guys gank him and the so called person do a 180degree turn to block my attack in the back and goes back to his initial direction in a split seconde, that sound alot fishy to me.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:18:48 am »
a lot of autoblockers have been banned.. I doubt there are many left  :mrgreen:

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:21 am »
Yeah, it's called "lots of practising"

lots and lots and lots of practicing. Manual block is not very intuitive off the bat.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 03:36:05 am »
What really helped me initially was playing an archer class (not xbowman) back in Native. Light armor, just a 1hand for melee defense. It was get better or get womped. I'm still outclassed by players more skilled than I, but those are exactly the players I love to fight most. Getting raped by HarmlessPeasant and IMmt all day everyday.

I don't really have anything else to offer that hasn't been said already: practice, practice, practice, and knowing your opponents style, as dexx touched on. Against bots, in the duel server, or just playing more defensively in siege/battle.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:09:26 am »
It weird, lately when my shield breaks I can manual block all of a sudden.  I never actually specifically practiced manual blocking.  I think if you play enough you just get used to the animations.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:15:52 am »
I am pretty sure some peoples are using some sort of autoblock hack.

Exemple: When someone get ganked by 6 players from the front he block all their attacks then i come from behind while the 6 other guys gank him and the so called person do a 180degree turn to block my attack in the back and goes back to his initial direction in a split seconde, that sound alot fishy to me.
Khorin/Bjord/Phyrex could probably perform something like this.

Offline Elio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 737
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The treeee!
    • View Profile
    • Calradia's Maps Explorer
  • Game nicks: Elio
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:18:04 am »
Tries to increase your mouse sensitivity in game, you must adjust to keep the speed but also the accuracy of your mouse.
0.5 to 0.6 is enough when your mouse is set correctly.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:02 am »
Tries to increase your mouse sensitivity in game, you must adjust to keep the speed but also the accuracy of your mouse.
0.5 to 0.6 is enough when your mouse is set correctly.

Nononono, high mouse sensitivy means nothing when blocking, because you can already initiate a block even if you move your mouse just slighty.
I'd go the other way, REDUCE mouse sensitivity so your camera doesn't move around too much when you block.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:26 am »
Nononono, high mouse sensitivy means nothing when blocking, because you can already initiate a block even if you move your mouse just slighty.
I'd go the other way, REDUCE mouse sensitivity so your camera doesn't move around too much when you block.

But if your reduce it too much, you can't turn your camera fast enough and people can run circles around you and hit you in the back.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)