Author Topic: is there a method to block?  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Re: is there a method to block?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
I tested and played with both options, i found that the best setup for me is increasing it slightly.

However you should test it yourself and find what suits you best
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 10:57:10 am »
Some good advices, and from the point of view of total noob considered blocking, i have to say i improved a lot when i reduced my sensitivity, now the correct direction is detected, most of the times anyways, and from battling for ages and meeting a lot of ppl 1v1 or so, i am even able to block something now.

i do not spend much time on duel server, as if i have time to play, i go earn XP/gold :-) but usually if you go there for like 30minutes before joining any other server, in like a week or so you should se improvements for yourself, without need of some hardcore training :) (which does help btw :D)

Offline t1337Dude

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:14:35 am »
Here's a pretty good method ; see which direction your opponent is switching, and block in that direction. So, for example, if it looks like their swing will hit you from the right, then you quickly swing your mouse to the right a small distance and right click simultaneously.

Crazy, isn't it?

Offline Mercerex

• Banned hacker
  • Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Fuck u up!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Wolf
  • Game nicks: Mercerex
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 11:57:37 am »
By mouse movement :P and high sensitivity!
2H King

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 02:32:17 pm »
I am pretty sure some peoples are using some sort of autoblock hack.

Exemple: When someone get ganked by 6 players from the front he block all their attacks then i come from behind while the 6 other guys gank him and the so called person do a 180degree turn to block my attack in the back and goes back to his initial direction in a split seconde, that sound alot fishy to me.
so the hack you imagine autoturns the player as well? whats left to do manually then?

really, stop thinking of hackers, there were only a few, and they got banned. It doesn't help your game experience if you think of every good player as a possible cheater.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »
I've said it before, but just in case you missed it:

Almost none of the players banned for the autoblock hack were notable players. They all really sucked as players, even with the autoblock hack.

There are no hacks for crpg that make you a good players. There is no substitute for battle awareness, good footwork, proper feinting, manual blocking and the tactical insight needed to do good in battles. Skill > hacks in crpg.

Offline Fleshcutter

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »
I am pretty sure some peoples are using some sort of autoblock hack.

Exemple: When someone get ganked by 6 players from the front he block all their attacks then i come from behind while the 6 other guys gank him and the so called person do a 180degree turn to block my attack in the back and goes back to his initial direction in a split seconde, that sound alot fishy to me.

Exact this have happened to me a few times. Impossible block to do. And it happening more then 3 times? Blasphemy!!

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
I love turning and killing a guy who thinks he is about to backstab me.

They leave themselves wide open because they think we have not noticed.

An easy kill.

Offline Elio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 737
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The treeee!
    • View Profile
    • Calradia's Maps Explorer
  • Game nicks: Elio
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:26 pm »
Nononono, high mouse sensitivy means nothing when blocking, because you can already initiate a block even if you move your mouse just slighty.
I'd go the other way, REDUCE mouse sensitivity so your camera doesn't move around too much when you block.
For me, blocking is not limited to block attacks from the front but also incoming from the sides.
If you duel against someone with a light/med armor and high athletics skill (over 6) you can't block very long with a slow/normal mouse sensitivity. And it's worse with a shield.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »
~ key is a great ally, Vieux. Even I, in a moment of idiot panic, was able to block the different directional attacks of 3 would be attackers one immediately after another. And that's without hardly a modicum of concentration. Imagine what a more skilled, aware player could do.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline DANK

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • OotL
  • Faction: OotL
  • Game nicks: Sir_Dank_OotL, OotA_Kush
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 07:46:36 pm »
~ key is a great ally, Vieux. Even I, in a moment of idiot panic, was able to block the different directional attacks of 3 would be attackers one immediately after another. And that's without hardly a modicum of concentration. Imagine what a more skilled, aware player could do.

Aye using ~ (Free Look) is key for not getting ganked. You should key-bind this to something easier to use in the heat of battle (I use one of the buttons on the side of my mouse works great).

As far as blocking is concerned... If someone is about to attack you block before you swing, and once you have swung be immediately ready to block again Block, Swing, Block, Swing, Block, etc... Once you get this down you will start to understand the mechanics, and soon will be able to decipher you next move in battle easily.

Also although difficult to get used to I prefer using a very high mouse sensitivity. This allows me to turn around quickly in the middle of a fight.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
My biggest enemy with blocking is my concentration. I tend to fight at 70% of what I can do so I occasionally miss blocks just because I'm too lazy...

About mouse sensitivity, my advice would be practicing with a level of sensitivity then progressively decreasing it. You will need less and less movement to block as you improve and what you want is nearly not turning when you block. This is especially true with the upward block. If you pitch the camera too much when you block upwards, you will see your back and be easily feinted.

And if you don't have a mouse that can change it's sensitivity, it's better when you switch between a ranged and a melee weapon (you need as less sensitivity as possible with a ranged weapon).

Offline DANK

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • OotL
  • Faction: OotL
  • Game nicks: Sir_Dank_OotL, OotA_Kush
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »
My biggest enemy with blocking is my concentration. I tend to fight at 70% of what I can do so I occasionally miss blocks just because I'm too lazy...

I agree this is my biggest issue as well

About mouse sensitivity, my advice would be practicing with a level of sensitivity then progressively decreasing it. You will need less and less movement to block as you improve and what you want is nearly not turning when you block. This is especially true with the upward block. If you pitch the camera too much when you block upwards, you will see your back and be easily feinted.

I disagree if you turn into you swings you will Harder, Faster, and further... Yes you may turn to far and miss a block because of it, but if you get used to it this will happen less and less.

And if you don't have a mouse that can change it's sensitivity, it's better when you switch between a ranged and a melee weapon (you need as less sensitivity as possible with a ranged weapon).

You can adjust your mouse sensitivity via in-game options or Control Panel > Mouse > Speed. You can adjust the sensitivity on every mouse even the cheap ones. I don't know what he is talking about.

**Edited to make it look better
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:25:46 pm by DANK »

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 05:35:14 am »
Hold your hands and pray.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 10:14:54 am »
spend time on duel servers.

duel anybody, but try to block first, then after some time you feel you can block decently try countering.

after a while youll develop your own feints, youll see what works what doesnt.

just takes time, determination and practice, no special forumla.

have fun
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works