Poll

Current state of ranged:

Ranged should stay the same
Crossbows should be nerfed
Archers and crossbows should be nerfed

Author Topic: The Ranged Problem.  (Read 24573 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The Ranged Problem.
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2017, 06:07:32 pm »
+2
I don't really mind the melee turn speed. I think it makes the game a bit more difficult in a good way. I'd rather just have more reliable stabs that don't glance as much later in the animation. I'm sure that was changed at some point to nerf longer stabbing polearms
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:10:41 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
+7
I'm sure that was changed at some point to nerf longer stabbing polearms
that change is unacceptable. longer stabbing polearms must do at least 40 p damage on swing and thrust, patching game right now. don't worry, the patch will only break the game for 3 weeks, as normal.
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline Fungus

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • QIH
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The best clans
  • Game nicks: Fungus Von Krems, Lyall, Bydand Fungus, Fungus The Saracen
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2017, 06:50:26 pm »
yeah stabby poles seem to glance at least 4/5 times for me

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2017, 06:54:57 pm »
+1
that change is unacceptable. longer stabbing polearms must do at least 40 p damage on swing and thrust, patching game right now. don't worry, the patch will only break the game for 3 weeks, as normal.

you keep on proving why you were made a developer, classic

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
+1

Don't need to go overboard, just a bit more of a time window on damage with the stabs. Its like they have 1/4 the reach they should because they glance so easily

It will mean that cavalry are a bit less dominant too. So you don't have to nerf them

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »
High shot speed weapons profit the least from movement speed and elevation because their native speed is about a magnitude higher than any impact velocity that can be gained during flight. Throwing weapons are a different story. I explained it here.

Furthermore at some point Tydeus even changed the parameter "missile_damage_speed_power" from the Native exponent(1.9) to a linear relation (exponent 1.0), effectively reducing damage gain/loss from midair projectile velocity change. Dunno if that was reverted though.

Missile Speed was increased across the board, i'm not sure if the missile damage speed power was changed but the falloff ranges must be way different. I've been regularly 1-2 shot in Full Gothic Plate with 27 str and other ppl have tested and reported huge spikes in damage as well.

http://forum.melee.org/announcements/04-5-4/

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:59 am »
Melee weapons being fun to use, feel well controlled and having satisfying feedback? Not on my watch!

Playing native without turnrate nerfs just baffles me as to why they were ever introduced. But crying seemed to always be the deadliest weapon. It nearly killed the mod, which was always considered dead to begin with!
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Fungus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • QIH
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2017, 12:41:45 am »
+1
There are just too many archers on the server atm
at least 60% either are playing bow or using an xbow
Mercs I'm looking at you you ranged cunts!!

Offline Viscount

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player
  • Lol
    • View Profile
  • Faction: All The Above.
  • Game nicks: GrimReaper
  • IRC nick: TheViscount
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2017, 01:20:02 am »
You guys are overreacting on xbows but archery for range could be a little nerfed or have a con at least.
if your doing bow you can do a shit ton of damage and run out anyone but die in 1-2 hits.
However you just need a shield to stop these range issues. to many players are currently 2h or polerarmers which is the reason why so much people are calling for a nerf.

Shielder sucks vs polearms but great vs 1h,range
2h great on every class
polearm grand on cav and everything.
range, grand on inf without shields, terrible defence weak against shielders & cav.
Cav good  vs everything but polearms.
𝔸𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕓𝕖𝕤𝕥. 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙 𝕚𝕥.
Start with Gate or Arslan Senki

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2017, 01:48:08 am »
There are just too many archers on the server atm
at least 60% either are playing bow or using an xbow
Mercs I'm looking at you you ranged cunts!!

Strangely, there is no coordination/any kind of order making our members play ranged classes, they might be just like the rest of the damn server, who knows ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Fungus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • QIH
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2017, 02:00:05 am »
+1
either way you cunts have forced me to play cav  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2017, 11:58:38 am »
I think you shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too. If you want to be a ranged god then you shouldn't be a melee god too. Should make ammo use up slots again and get rid of 0 slot weapons. We're back in the olden days of melee/ranged hybrids that shoot all round then kill with high damage blunt weapons towards the end of the round. We have ladders too so they are safer from cav. There is no sensible reason why archers and throwers need to take points away from other areas so they can use their ranged weapon but crossbowers don't. Yet their effectiveness as a ranged class is the same as a bowman

I always thought of throwers as the middle ground between ranged and melee. If you want to be good at melee too you should be a thrower and live with the downsides of a thrower (less accurate compared to true ranged classes so have to get closer to the melee playeres and less ammo)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:22:43 pm by Grumbs »

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:20 pm »
I think you shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too. If you want to be a ranged god then you shouldn't be a melee god too. Should make ammo use up slots again and get rid of 0 slot weapons. We're back in the olden days of melee/ranged hybrids that shoot all round then kill with high damage blunt weapons towards the end of the round. We have ladders too so they are safer from cav

I always thought of throwers as the middle ground between ranged and melee. If you want to be good at melee too you should be a thrower and live with the downsides of a thrower (less accurate compared to true ranged classes so have to get closer to the melee playeres and less ammo)
fyi, bodkin arrows ( the best option for archers) take 1 slot. So, you gotta have a 2 slot bow and 2 quivers of arrows and you're full. If you get rid of 0 slot weapons, what are archers supposed to do? They can't outrun the melee. They shouldn't have a chance fight back either? It's not like one can be a melee god with a mere spiked mace and no 1h wp.

Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:24 pm »
+1
I don't mean remove all, just have it like it used to be - those shitty hatchets or whatever. Not bloody Gross messer and heavy blunt weapons that knock down 80% of the time. Its not like you couldn't spare one slot for a weapon anyway - you don't have to have a 2 slot bow and a good melee weapon. This is what I mean about having cake and eating it - you should have to make some sacrifice in one area or the other. Want to be a good all rounder? Take a worse bow and worse ammo

The 0 slot ammo on the bow is only 1 less cut that the 1 slot anyway. I was mostly talking about crossbowers when I mentioned ammo slots though

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2017, 12:24:45 pm »
I understand what you're saying. I played with a hornbow + scimitar combo for a long time. But this is almost impossible these days, cuz 1 slot bows are useless. Back in the day, it was viable to be an agi archer with a fast but low dmg bow. Now it's not. Hell, back in the day there was an archer whose name I can't remember, he'd terrorize eu1 with his nomad bow. I tried it recently. You can't do any damage to plates with most of the time and I don't mean low dmg. I mean No dmg.
Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.