Author Topic: Pretty much 80 percent of all battle players use Crossbows  (Read 8100 times)

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
Re: Pretty much 80 percent of all battle players use Crossbows
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2011, 07:04:04 pm »
What you incompetent devs fail to see is that out of the 8220 xbow kills maybe only 2000 of less of em are from dedicated xbow users the rest of kills goes to boost the kdr of the polearm/2h/1h users using it as sidearm..... also does the headshot % goes under bows thrown and xbow statistic?

Also this still doenst justify for the easy use of the xbow and no skill investment.. plus the amount of ranged on the servers doenst rly add to the fun...

But nonetheless its clear that the devs use xbow em self as sidearm so i guess further complaints are useless

Can you at least try to arrive at a conclusion through logical progression, rather than
simply assuming a conclusion and subsequently inventing bollocks to back it up.  Or in this
case, not even bothering with the latter.

(click to show/hide)

Crossbows are and were easy to use.  I like the idea suggested by Paul elsewhere, increasing the upkeep of crossbows dependant on the characters proficiency.  Crossbows are and were expensive contraptions.  This suggestion simulates a dedicated crossbowman's ability to service his weapon, with the added accuracy and reload speed which sets him apart from a character with no proficiency.  In essence it would be desirable that a character with no proficiency would struggle to ever make a profit while using a crossbow.  The small effectiveness with 1 proficiency I feel is conducive to reality and more importantly - to strategus.  Particularly in sieges where melee characters will be able to contribute instead of standing around like muppets.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:13:57 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »
So 80% of the players are spending ~30% of their upkeep and 50% of their slots on a weapon that yields 5% of the kills.

Buff Crossbows!

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:50 pm »
Crossbows are and were easy to use.  I like the idea suggested by Paul elsewhere, increasing the upkeep of crossbows dependant on the characters proficiency.  Crossbows are and were expensive contraptions.  This suggestion simulates a dedicated crossbowman's ability to service his weapon, with the added accuracy and reload speed which sets him apart from a character with no proficiency.  In essence it would be desirable that a character with no proficiency would struggle to ever make a profit while using a crossbow.

Now that really is a good idea. This will help to kill off 0 wpf crossbow sidearmers.

The small effectiveness with 1 proficiency I feel is conducive to reality and more importantly - to strategus.  Particularly in sieges where melee characters will be able to contribute instead of standing around like muppets.

On an unrelated note I always thought that was funny in strategus field battles; shield users get to put a brick on rmb and go afk, 2spammers and polederpers get to take a hunting crossbow+stack of bolts and pretend they're helping.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »
I use a light crossbow.  I put between 85-100 wpf points in it every generation.  I use it to dehorse cav and take potshots on people approaching me.  I'm part of the problem.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2011, 07:47:42 am »
I'm part of the problem.

Ehh no your not....

The problem if you wouldn't mind to read is that it takes 1 wpf to use a xbow

Meaning that if u put a 100 points into it your not a part of the problem since everyone and their mother use the xbow as sidearm beacuse of the fact you need 0 skill investment to use it..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:48:46 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2011, 12:03:16 pm »
So 80% of the players are spending ~30% of their upkeep and 50% of their slots on a weapon that yields 5% of the kills.
this.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2011, 12:13:00 am »
To be fair, the 5% statistic is from a European server.  The few times I've actually played there, I've found that the number of crossbows is simply miniscule compared to North America (and the OP is from NA, after all.)  The last time I was on Blackrose in Texas, I counted 18 out of the 21 players were carrying either a bow or crossbow. 

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2011, 12:27:42 am »
To be fair, the 5% statistic is from a European server.  The few times I've actually played there, I've found that the number of crossbows is simply miniscule compared to North America (and the OP is from NA, after all.)  The last time I was on Blackrose in Texas, I counted 18 out of the 21 players were carrying either a bow or crossbow.

I concur, I played extensively yesterday (2 hours instead of 5 minutes) and out of the 30 or so players, about 26 of them either had a bow or a crossbow.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:38 pm »
So you're saying this is an American problem..? 

:lol:

Monkeys!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2011, 02:46:03 pm »
It's not our problem if they love their Second Amendment so much that it influences the average player equipment over there. We unbalance around EU servers.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »
Even if you added wpp requirement to xbows, how hard is it to hybrid.. Most only go for about 130, 140 max in their primary weapon and will still have enough left over to put 100 into xbows and there we go same problem that you're describing except now they're more accurate and have 5-10 less wpp in their primary weapon.. Big woop? what exactly does this accomplish.... lol xD

just my 2 cents.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
Granted, I only play siege, so I don't know how all the x-bows affect battle.

But in siege, the x-bowers have no impact on the outcome of the match. People take pot-shots during the first minute or so, occasionally someone gets a lucky headshot, but it's not like bodies are falling left and right to the onslaught of bolts or anything. As soon as the attackers breech the walls, ranged is a liability for the defense, not an asset. I typically bring an xbow for my first D spawn, then don't bring it after I die once. It's just something to do while waiting for the attackers to breech, but I rarely get xbow kills.

1 shield skill opens up the 200 HP crappy board shield, which will last long enough to ascend any ladder, as long as no defenders are throwers (I haven't seen a thrower in weeks). I don't know why you can't do the same in battle; just bring a shield and nullify all of those x-bowers. Or bring your own X-bow and shoot other x-bowers while they reload. Your choice.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:44:26 pm by Phew »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »
Even if you added wpp requirement to xbows, how hard is it to hybrid.. Most only go for about 130, 140 max in their primary weapon and will still have enough left over to put 100 into xbows and there we go same problem that you're describing except now they're more accurate and have 5-10 less wpp in their primary weapon.. Big woop? what exactly does this accomplish.... lol xD

just my 2 cents.

It accomplish that dedicated melee infantry users will be forced to waste wpf on xbows.

Also all str builds wich is alot % of the current player base will not be able to use a 100 wpf on xbow if they wanna be able to use their main weapon..

Problem is just that soo many hybrids from pre patch got a free heirloom respec and used their points on the regular xbow / steel bolts and now they bitch and try and come with useless arguments like yours as to why the regular xbow should be a 0 skill investment free shooter...

Just my 2 cents....
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »
Just my 2 cents....

2 cents ain't worth anything... just like your opinions posts.

Small edit there, making it less rude
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:31:48 pm by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2011, 08:58:22 pm »
2 cents ain't worth anything... just like your opinions posts.

Small edit there, making it less rude

Idc im just saying it like it is not fault you cant handle it or agree with it....

Offcourse people will always defend their investments/preferred playstyle so....

Anyone who has ever wielded a xbow with 1 wpd knows its a joke that it doesn't take any skill investment besides gold to make use of em....

In the end troll me all you want honestly i couldn't careless m8
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:15:47 pm by Tzar »