Author Topic: NA Map Rotation  (Read 1307 times)

Offline banned123

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
NA Map Rotation
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:30:18 pm »
+9
I spent a little time commenting and screenshotting all the maps currently in the NA map rotation, and some that aren't in it but have been in the past.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AYC7IsMh3Qtru8rdJQYB1Vi16McUrufrDdS1gwjzwEI/edit?usp=sharing

Horns will set up a survey for the rotation later for everyone to vote on maps for the rotation, but feel free to chat about the maps in this thread until then.

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
Re: NA Map Rotation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »
cool i wanted to do the same with screenschots (but too lazy), coz all map names are fucked on eu, i guess on na too
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:26:36 pm »
+4
Thanks for organizing this, but I take some issue with your rating system and comments.

Not ALL maps have to be good for ALL classes ALL the time.

It's OK to play a cramped map sometimes -- I like them.  Get in close, clusterfuck.  Ranged and cav may struggle, but it's fun stuff.

Sometimes we need a cav map to let people stretch their legs.  Get the pikes!

Some maps may favor ranged, and adds a new dynamic and hazard to cope with.  It's fun and keeps it interesting, in my opinion.

"Perfectly" balanced maps are good too!  Keep them in rotation and have lots of them, of course.

We also need small maps.  Servers are never full (I predict population will trend upwards for a while, then slowly downwards) so don't discount small maps.  Very important.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 05:42:29 pm »
+4
Agree with OP.

My top maps to be added in would also include:
  • Tavern(named Burning Witch)
  • Arena
  • Cave of Odin
  • Chasm
  • Hun in the Sun
  • Volcano Valley

Offline banned123

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:50:34 pm »
+3
Thanks for organizing this, but I take some issue with your rating system and comments.

Not ALL maps have to be good for ALL classes ALL the time.

It's OK to play a cramped map sometimes -- I like them.  Get in close, clusterfuck.  Ranged and cav may struggle, but it's fun stuff.

Sometimes we need a cav map to let people stretch their legs.  Get the pikes!

Some maps may favor ranged, and adds a new dynamic and hazard to cope with.  It's fun and keeps it interesting, in my opinion.

"Perfectly" balanced maps are good too!  Keep them in rotation and have lots of them, of course.

We also need small maps.  Servers are never full (I predict population will trend upwards for a while, then slowly downwards) so don't discount small maps.  Very important.

I agree for sure. I was mostly rating based on balance for all classes so it was somewhat objective, but that doesn't mean ALL the poorly balanced ones shouldn't be in the rotation since variety is good.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:15:06 pm »
I agree for sure. I was mostly rating based on balance for all classes so it was somewhat objective, but that doesn't mean ALL the poorly balanced ones shouldn't be in the rotation since variety is good.

That makes sense.  Maybe the spreadsheet can be updated to say "balance rating" instead of just "rating" or something.

I'm just worried the "masses" will simply vote the highly rated maps and dismiss the others that are rated lower, and we'll lose some really fun ones.

Offline Davic

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Semenstorm, Medieval Carriage Club
  • Game nicks: Davic, Gayvic, Cavic, Xavic, Maulvic
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:21:17 pm »
+8
A general complaint I have about several maps currently in rotation are areas that are only reachable via jumping. It seems that every other map has an area or two like this, which makes archers that reach it pretty much invulnerable to non-shield melee and cavalry, since jumping when an archer is trying to shoot you is pretty much suicide. I'm fine with archers having verticality, but it seems broken to have places that are so hard to reach, especially when it is pretty simple to fix.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:45:59 pm »
since jumping when an archer is trying to shoot you is pretty much suicide automatically losing 1/6th of your health.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 02:50:29 am »
+4
some of the maps are straight poopoo

i'd like to see some maps that put flags in a decent position so that both sides have to give up their positions in order to contest the point

i hate when its like 4v4 and flags spawn and the last infantry have to run 200m into an open field against camping longbows

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:08:46 am »
+1
Add all native maps to the rotation. I mean why not?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »
+5
Tbh there are a lot of good maps that are bad/bad maps that are good when you consider/reconsider flag positions. There are some great village maps that have flags spawn right next to an accessible rooftop or steep hill which absolutely ruins it since the first team to get an archers nest there is likely to win once master of the field comes up. Likewise some bad maps could be made much better by just moving the flags to a more balanced position.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 06:58:19 pm »
+1
also maps wich become good on low population and bad on high population and vice and verca...

i would love to see a new map rotation with some old good famous maps (specialy some from mustiki)

do you guys think only Dupre could make a new map rotation or anyone else ?

Offline Davic

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Semenstorm, Medieval Carriage Club
  • Game nicks: Davic, Gayvic, Cavic, Xavic, Maulvic
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »
+1
also maps wich become good on low population and bad on high population and vice and verca...

When I played lots of Native, I remember some people in charge of the GK servers talking about implementing a system them looks at the current number of players in the server, and then choosing from maps that best fit that population. I don't think they ever got it set up, so I'm not sure how viable it actually is, but it is certainly an interesting idea that could make the game more fun at all populations.

Offline Horns

• Count
  • Renown: 207
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I am that horns guy.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Horns
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 12:08:43 am »
+2
I will setup a survey monkey tonight and do some pruning myself of a few maps. Sorry it took so long for me to finally get around to doing it.