Author Topic: Keeping New Players  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Keeping New Players
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 07:54:11 pm »
+2
Something as simple as a "welcome to crpg message" that pops up when they first log into the website or in-game that details all the less-obvious mechanics would do a lot imo. Point out that while they may not like the grind, they can simply make a skip the fun character and enjoy high-level benefits immediately until they see for themselves what they're missing out on.

Jona has a great idea -- perhaps the most efficient in terms of time and effort.  The most bang for your buck, so to speak.

Offline Suedehead

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: wife_of_an_acrobat
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 08:10:08 pm »
+5
The biggest problem with newcomers is that they start playing before they know how cRPG works. Saw a lot of those back in the days of glory - dude downloads a mod and gets into it without knowing about a website even. And he can't understand wtf is this - why he in other team than he selected and was before? why there are no classes to select? Why he has so less and crap items, and is so weak compared to others around? How to get new gear? He tried to ask in chat, but most of the times,even while others doing their best to help, can't understands what he should do and why he should visit some site etc., so usually leaves and does not come back. I myself manage to understand all this from second attempt in months after failed first.
Make step-by-step video guide how to get into, and make it mandatory to watch before.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 08:25:57 pm »
- remove looms
- starting lvl 30
- increase exp x2 for higher lvls and make a cap at lvl 35.

There is no way that newbie will want to grind from lvl 1 to lvl 30. No way, i didn`t want to do it in Nord Invasion.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:30 pm »
+1
We did back when we were young and naive. Maybe some of the people downloading it do have the time and effort to grind a little.

I'm in favour of making grind easy, but you can't really call it cRPG without some form of leveling

The G doesn't stand for grind. ;)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »
+4
The grind is the best part tho. Long term goals are the best way to keep people playing. Free handouts lose flavor quickly, and so kind of take away from the feeling of looms etc. Theres no competitive play almost at all, the game doesnt even feel fun to tryhard in at this point. Goofing around is only enjoyable for a short bit, but trying to get new looms and try out new weapons otherwise overlooked is still as interesting as it has always been.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:17 pm »
+1
Too much of anything kills it. Grind is one of those things, especially when you consider it's only a mod from a game whose sequel is almost out.

Offline banned123

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 11:49:29 pm »
+8
The community is VERY hostile towards new players. Almost all of us are responsible for this in one way or another, but the bigotry from some people is the worst of it all. It alienates a TON of people when there are slurs every other sentence from edgelord people in chat.

There were also a bunch of people extremely mad that native players were playing yesterday on NA and spamming ban polls on them. Like what? The games dead for years and now you're mad it's getting players outside of the 20 familiar no lifers.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 01:17:16 am »
+8
Yo man I've gotten tons of people to stick around once they started just by being a nice human being. Just ask my man sandersson jenkins or killjoy(RIP) and countless other newbs I've helped along the way.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 02:57:26 am »
+1
Yo man I've gotten tons of people to stick around once they started just by being a nice human being. Just ask my man sandersson jenkins or killjoy(RIP) and countless other newbs I've helped along the way.

you are responsible for sandersson?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 04:22:06 am »
+6

Like bronto said, I stuck around after I started just because people weren't absolute cancer (to start with). It got alot worse over the course of the next 4 years though.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 06:22:31 am »
+7
The grind is the best part tho. Long term goals are the best way to keep people playing. Free handouts lose flavor quickly, and so kind of take away from the feeling of looms etc. Theres no competitive play almost at all, the game doesnt even feel fun to tryhard in at this point. Goofing around is only enjoyable for a short bit, but trying to get new looms and try out new weapons otherwise overlooked is still as interesting as it has always been.

This. Apart from this and Strat, what difference does cRPG have from Mercs? -apart from merc being a shitty mod with a 10 yo avg community- nudges and nerfed kicks? Archers drawing their bows with an autistic animation? Pfft.

I won't write a pro-wipe text again, as community stated that they fancy their looms. Neither there is one or not, new players shouldnt be granted looms in the beginning. (at least less looms)However looming stuff must be scaled down to be easier to the point that it is not boring to grind. And they shouldnt jump in to level 38 meta, while level 30 end builds were MUCH more fun.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 07:58:00 am »
This. Apart from this and Strat, what difference does cRPG have from Mercs? -apart from merc being a shitty mod with a 10 yo avg community- nudges and nerfed kicks? Archers drawing their bows with an autistic animation? Pfft.

I won't write a pro-wipe text again, as community stated that they fancy their looms. Neither there is one or not, new players shouldnt be granted looms in the beginning. (at least less looms)However looming stuff must be scaled down to be easier to the point that it is not boring to grind. And they shouldnt jump in to level 38 meta, while level 30 end builds were MUCH more fun.
WELL  for starters Mercs has only eu servers...
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 08:12:28 am »
WELL  for starters Mercs has only eu servers...

Yeah, it also has RU servers for some reason too. And EU servers are located in Netherlands. I should ve added that as well.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:14 pm »
+9

ya i was on a weird sleep schedule and was playing mornings early as fuck with bronto, it was some shit map with a bridge and my team was getting shit on

i went up to the bridge you know, to like, square up with the bad guys or whatever and there was bronto protecting me from my old friendet ranged with a shield

he was only level 24, what a brave man i thought to myself, maybe i should talk to him

and here i am today, what would i have done without bronto? truly the rest is history
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 12:42:54 am »
Not having access to account options like repecs/retiring, item shop and market in game was the biggest turn off to people I tried to introduce to the mod.