• Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Re: Art
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2016, 12:27:54 am »
This is how you do when you want to shorten quote. Putting bla bla is a bit disrespectful and I'm not sure why you should do that to me when Xant is insulting you whole time.

Still don't understand what geology, rock formation and minerals have to do with square painted with red on white canvas. Maybe if there was something beneath it, some secret but in our case there is no such thing. Or there is, but we are so ignorant we're unable to see it? If you ask me, some serious straw grabbing going on in this thread from your side.

Yeah it was perhaps a bit harsh. Collateral damage? :D

Anyway, back to the red Rothko painting. I've explained it before, but I'll explain it again in detail. Must have been around 2002-2003, I was in London, strolling around Tate Modern just because that's what you do when you come from a potato country like mine. (Finland and Norway are fairly similar in their remoteness.)

Unsuspecting, I turn a corner and I face this giant red painting. Never heard of Rothko, and to this day I'm quite ignorant when it comes to modern art. I'm stuck staring at it, not understanding why the fuck this simple red rectangle has such an emotional effect. I still don't get _why_ exactly, but I remember it clear as day.

In that sense, it was good art. More effective than any of the other works I saw. Can't remember any of the others at all, except from the giant sun that was hanging there. Perhaps it was the carefully blended colors, coupled with the extreme simplicity. Yes it might sound strange, but I can honestly say that for me, that day, it was the most powerful painting there. I'm not bullshitting!
It's insane, I know..

So I'm not going to go into why some people think Rothko, btw a favourite subject for plebian art criticism, is so important or whatever.  I frankly don't care. The reason I'm posting here, is simply to be a counterpoint to the most base views of art. And of course, riling up Xant in the process is always enjoyable.

People cry to Braco, a spiritual leader who has a magical look. For convenience he even does it over Skype! No words, just a look man, extremely powerful stuff! GAZE OF MIRACLES

lol that's some crazy shit. I do doubt those people are connoisseurs of modern art though. :D

About enjoying crpg, the logical explanation can only go that far. Do you enjoy moving the mouse to the left and right clicking really fast? Do you enjoy the competitive aspects? Why not just play chess? Or do you enjoy the imaginary tears on the other side of your digital sword? Do you enjoy dressing up? For a second imagining that your character is you? Why enjoy Playing in the first place? It's much more logical to work hard and make more money right? Or to study something? Is cRPG not art? I think it is. Quite bad, but effective :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:33:40 am by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 1340
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2016, 01:57:29 am »
I see you mentioned Munch. While I don't enjoy his paintings (because there is no joy in them), I can understand why his work became popular and valued in artistic circles. Certainly not because those painting are drawn brilliantly. But they have different sort of brilliance. His work is true example of expressionism (even tho it predates it and it considered part of another art movement). While people who painted coloured circles claimed they carry some secret, intimate message or badly drawn images "in a new way" from flamboyant Pablo Picasso can be stashed into shit and overrated categories (respectively), Munch work of art shows his mental state and leave no secrecy about his feelings. He was mentally troubled person, deeply depressed and every can see that on his paintings. There is no need for special powers to unlock gates of mystery "true" work of art holds. It is all pretty straightforward.

Put a kid in front of "Skrik" and child will tell you that man who draw it is sad and a bit scary person. You like to diss on children for some reason, while I do hold them being more honest and with clearer thought path than most adults. It is no accident that in "The Emperor's New Clothes" it is a child who has to tell everybody that Emperor, in fact, does not have any clothes.

Edit: Just to clear something. I'm not claiming Picasso is bad painter, he is in fact brilliant. But his famous work is mostly shit (cubism). His work that falls under Impressionism is phenomenal.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:03:33 am by Leshma »

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2016, 02:40:53 am »
I don't view a lot of modern "art" as art, but I'm not an artist, so I'll let the artists figure out whatever they think is art and I'll continue to dislike it, either way, the artist becomes a billionaire by slinging paint at a wall and then attaches a load of bullshit to say what it means.

"THIS BLACK STROKE OF PAINT REPRESENTS THE DEATH AND DESPAIR IN THE WORLD"

What is this shit, are we in English class again where we have to make up some bullshit reason as to why the curtains are black? COULD IT NOT JUST BE BECAUSE THE CURTAINS WERE MADE THAT WAY?!?!!$

no the curtains are blak becus it represent the sadnes in dis wumynz life xdddd

NOTHING IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD
KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2016, 06:20:09 am »
+1
"THIS BLACK STROKE OF PAINT REPRESENTS THE DEATH AND DESPAIR IN THE WORLD"

What is this shit, are we in English class again where we have to make up some bullshit reason as to why the curtains are black? COULD IT NOT JUST BE BECAUSE THE CURTAINS WERE MADE THAT WAY?!?!!$

no the curtains are blak becus it represent the sadnes in dis wumynz life xdddd
That's a good analogy. "Literary analysis" in school is largely the same bullshit, you're trying hard to insert your own feelings into the artist's work and call it his original intention. Uhm, what is the meaning of the time of the day here? Does it represent the duality of Man? Or could it maybe be that the writer flipped a coin? Of course, still makes a hundred times more sense than trying to fit a red rectangle into the round hole of actual art.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2016, 08:37:09 am »
+1
That's a good analogy. "Literary analysis" in school is largely the same bullshit, you're trying hard to insert your own feelings into the artist's work and call it his original intention. Uhm, what is the meaning of the time of the day here? Does it represent the duality of Man? Or could it maybe be that the writer flipped a coin? Of course, still makes a hundred times more sense than trying to fit a red rectangle into the round hole of actual art.

From my experience, that's bullshit. I was struggeling with it myself until I figured out that what teachers want is just the technical step-by-step approach of analysing a text. It's good enough for them. Can be done even without any empathic gift or bullshitting ability.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
I'm stuck staring at it, not understanding why the fuck this simple red rectangle has such an emotional effect. I still don't get _why_ exactly, but I remember it clear as day.
Red, like other colors, has a proven psychological effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »

I do agree that lots of people walk around with this school experience, and it is largely pointless. Am I doing this right? Did I say something smart now? It's quite destructive sometimes, not only to experience art, but it also destroys reading for a lot of people. I have the same experience as Paul, I hated it. Only later did I understand that that approach was largely a dead road, actually inhibiting lots of experiences. 

Whenever art is trying to say something that cannot be easily put into words, that approach is murder. You are not in the gallery to try to logically understand everything. You are not there to say intelligent things and try to come across as cultured or smart. Lots of people walk around with a feeling of not belonging, and are afraid to say something that might come out as stupid. Lots of people see it as an ordeal that has to be avoided. I know this feeling very well myself. (Since I'm not an aristo, just middle class from potato country.) :D

If you find yourself on a gallery date, I recommend not saying a thing. Be open and like whatever you like. Hate whatever you hate. Maybe, just maybe, you will get a fresh thought, or a new emotion. Or understand something, your way. If you find yourself with someone trying to extract some kind of analysis from everything, you can pretty safely disregard it as bullshit. Perhaps even conclude that they have a forced and narrow understanding. I can attest that there ARE tons of intellectual dishonesty and posing, and bullshit, and capitalism, and taste-wars in the art world. I don't envy my friends in that field in the least.

Some art is just boring intellectual exercises, but most of it struggles to be something more as well. Some needs context of art history, or political situation to be understood. Personally I find this the most boring, since I don't have direct access to whatever zeitgeist was prevalent. I don't however, brush it off as stupid off the bat. I acknowledge that perhaps I simply don't have the tools for it, and perhaps no young people of today has them in full.

- About the red circle you keep messing about. Most famously it is used on the lucky strike packet, my former cigarette brand. It's designed by Raymond Loewy, someone even Xant would accept as a good artist. Apparently sales skyrocketed after the new design was introduced.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1719
  • Infamy: 32
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »
Red, like other colors, has a proven psychological effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

You are missing the point bruh:

…only in expressing basic human emotions—tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on. And the fact that a lot of people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions… The people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when I painted them. And if you, as you say, are moved only by their color relationship, then you miss the point.

Dude was full of shit, jew who claimed university professors hate him because of his "race" so he dropped out and became one of the most important figures of American art legacy alongside the likes of Pollock. That is all the information smart man needs to make final conclusion.

Edit: Also Latvian...

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »
+1
I went back to the Tate Modern a few weeks ago and whilst some of it is interesting, the only 'art' I could really appreciate there was the photography where they captured people and places in relation to a specific event. I could connect far more with that then splashing some random paint splodges on a canvas. Some of the performance art is even worse. I can't remember the artist but it was literally some naked girls walking in a field wearing silly, vaguely s&m outfits from the 70's.

Whilst some of that stuff is visually appealing I just can't buy into the deep bullshit that people try and read into it.

It's why I appreciate the National Gallery so much more. The technical skill is far superior and the detail in which many of the subjects are painted on these huge canvases is pretty incredible. Add to that it gives you a historical background on each piece, who/what the subject is and what they were trying to capture. Whether it be religious, military or famous historical figures. Without all the 'this painting represents blah blah blah' bullshit you get in the Tate.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:30:03 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1300
  • Infamy: 1823
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2016, 04:51:32 pm »
Modern art reminds me a lot of punk music. Sure, I do listen Ramones but Sex Pistols? Lol nope.

It's just that people sometimes feel the need for change, to try something new. Then that new direction is hyped beyond reason. At the same time style of old is ridiculed. But as history shows, that doesn't lasts forever and only few, who created true art are capable of withstanding test of time.

Bet punkers took a jab at Led Zeppelin every moment they could. But who listens to punk music today, only old farts who are trying to relive that part of their lives. Kids these days will rather listen to Stairway from Heaven than God Save the Queen.

It is still a bit early but I'm glad to see many young, educated people who see through deception of abstract expressionism.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2016, 07:36:33 pm »
if you are an under educated asshole and want to learn something about visual arts, i totally recommend this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Art

for me it is one of the best books ever
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2016, 09:00:05 pm »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline dagu807

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • ye
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »
pls r8 my newest mspainting
it represents the evil patriarchy smashing independent womyn, with a hue of male dominance and bloodshed the male gender did throughout history, also cocks lol it also shows how our world is evil and i hate it for not being the utopia i imagine it to be k!!!!
really makes u think huhhhh??????????????????????????????
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:54 pm »
+1
As an aspiring troll apprentice, I highly regard The Black Square as a piece of art. The author got groups of people to furiously argue about something insignificant, and that's the ultimate success at trollery.

Offline Admerius

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Many Admerius-es and many alts(Total of 32 chars)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereignty of Aegis for life!(aka. multi-claning)
  • Game nicks: My top three nicks: Scum, William_Spearshake, Dedrater)
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:13 pm »
+1