Author Topic: Throwing weapons (need balancing )  (Read 16870 times)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing weapons (need balancing )
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2011, 08:54:21 pm »
Throwers 1 shot when they get to higher levels of PT
My throwing char with 9pt and 9ps 1 shots people with the thrown AND melee weapon
So I've gone pure str, and I'm told
"You can't one shot ppl wth your throwing weapons anymore"
Me: "Aw, they were fun"
"Don't worry, you can still one shot ppl in melee!"

It seems a pointless whine

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »
That's because in melee they can attempt to fight but when your throwing they can't do much apart of dancing.

Apart of the throwing lances ridiculous damage and maybe heavy throwing axes the other are not in need of a nerf imo.

Still I would love if wpf worked on throwing it's working very nicely on crossbow now so why not?

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »
OH!
I thought this up

When you're standing still or moving forward it's the same as now
But while moving backwards OR sideways you receive a damage AND accuracy nerf
This is because you can't possibly throw properly while weaving and bobbing
This would solve nearly ALL problems I think

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2011, 09:44:50 pm »
Yeah something is amiss. Today I was one shotted by darkling_3 with throwing knives. I wear mail hauberk, mail mitten, mail chausses and bascinet with aventail.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »
Yeah something is amiss. Today I was one shotted by darkling_3 with throwing knives. I wear mail hauberk, mail mitten, mail chausses and bascinet with aventail.

Well you most likely got hit in the face. Other than that, it takes about 4-5 throwing knives to kill somebody wearing your armor.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »
I think that throwing weapons should act as a natural supplement to an infantryman's arsenal. They should serve as a way for players to defend against other ranged units and charging cavalry, as well as to soften up enemy infantry forces prior to engaging them in melee combat. However many thrown weapons are currently innacurate, and simply exist as a form of projectile spam which, when it lands, causes rage-inducing one/two hit kills.

I think a good solution to this problem is to slightly decrease the damage dealt by throwing weapons, in particular the high-tier (jarid, lance, heavy ax) weapons. I also think that there should be more time inbetween shots, ie: slower chamber speed. I also think that the accuracy of an immobile thrower should be significantly increased.

Optimally, I would like to see any infantryman who is not a dedicated thrower enter battle with two or three throwing javelins/lances/axes/whatever at most. This would force said non-dedicated thrower to conservatively use their ammunition instead of spamming them as they do now. It will actually be possible for them to conservatively and intelligently use their thrown weapons because they will have increased accuracy. Spam would be reduced. There would be a smaller number of SHIT flying through the air hitting random people. Cavalry would be able to participate in the battle more, instead of hiding, because infantry will have to make a conscious decision as to whether they wish to save their thrown weapons, or potentially waste them on cavalry.

In other words, I propose we make thrown weapons something that almost any infantry dude can effectively use, but which requires some critical thinking. Do I throw one of three of my axes at that archer who's not looking at me right now? Or should I save it for a situation when I might REALLY need it, like when a horse is charging at my face? Should I throw both of my javelines now, at the begning of the fight, or should I save them for the end of the round when we're chasing down that one, naked delaying guy/bitch? Can I even hit that HA with my throwing-lance-of-doom, or should I wait until he gets closer?

And by increasing accuracy, throwers will actually be able to make these decisions with good heart, because they'll be sure they can actually hit what they're throwing at.

For those dedicated throwers, I think thrown weapons should be a bit cheaper. If they would only be getting 2-3 shots per slot, then they shouldn't have to pay as much as they do now. Nobody shouldn't be able to play the way they want, if that way is fair to other players.

tl;dr: More accuracy, so throwers can actually aim. Less ammo and more time between throws, so throwers won't spam. Less damage, so throwers won't cause rage with so many 1 shot kills. Appropriatly cheaper thrown weapons, so dedicated throwers won't be paying for 4 darts when they'll only have two per slot. Or three per slot. Someone else come up with the number, I don't throw much.

I like it a lot, nerf ammo + damage on high tier weps & increase stationary accuracy
imo throwing should be STR as a requirement, PT for added damage, WPP for added accuracy.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2011, 10:59:29 pm »
Today we had a battle with some big clan groups on EU4... 50% of the people were throwing... (pure throwing / melee+ throwing / horse + throwing /archer + throwing/ crossbow + throwing / throwing + throwing)

Its a sure sign that something is overpowered if nearly everybody is using it.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2011, 11:04:11 pm »
I'd just like to point out that if I launched a javelin at you, if I used gravitational arc, it would punch right through your chain mail. Maybe even through plate. I'm not sure. But defently chain mail!

If it is possible, can we make throwing weapons need a high arc to do damage, like they would in real life? So if I throw it straight, it's more accurate but does less damage. If I aim up, there's less chance of me hitting some guy but more damage due to gravity!

Offline ITHROWSHIT

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2011, 11:18:26 pm »
archers nerfed real bad => no more arrow fear => shields devalued => open weapon slots => use of throwing weapons => many throwers & less shields => people die => tears

we should nerf throwing because getting hit in the chest by a massive spinning ax wouldnt realistically kill anyone
or we can buff archers back to restore balance.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:47 pm »
Throwing just took the spot of archery prepatch.

No fun to play battles, simple fucking ranged shit. If the patch ment to balance something, it did, but not in the right way in terms of ranged spam.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2011, 11:43:14 pm »
With throwing axes make it 50/50 that the handle hits them and it bounces off :P

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2011, 12:49:46 am »
Any and all discussion on this matter must cease. My suggestion is perfect (almost everything I say is). I HAVE FIXED THE THROWING PROBLEM.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2011, 10:33:23 am »
Throwing should be short ranged - high damage.

Consider this:
Increasing the wpf needed to be accurate with throwing weapons will force me to go from a 11PT/3 agility build to a 7 PT/15 agility build. With light armour (I have that now) and 5 athletics. Now I can suddenly get close to hit people and move out before I get surrounded. Something I can't do with 1 athletics.

For me it wouldn't change much, as it would require me just 1 additional hit to kill people with my throwing weapon of choice. I would just get a lot faster on my feet and my throwing animation would be a lot faster (higher wpf and agility).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Aesir

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:42 am »
Throwing should be short ranged - high damage.

Consider this:
Increasing the wpf needed to be accurate with throwing weapons will force me to go from a 11PT/3 agility build to a 7 PT/15 agility build. With light armour (I have that now) and 5 athletics. Now I can suddenly get close to hit people and move out before I get surrounded. Something I can't do with 1 athletics.

For me it wouldn't change much, as it would require me just 1 additional hit to kill people with my throwing weapon of choice. I would just get a lot faster on my feet and my throwing animation would be a lot faster (higher wpf and agility).

+1

in addition of : cheapper price, nerf damge, increase stack, and more wpf to use it as bow for exemple...

for exemple :
Jarids   4500

weight 4
requirement 6
spd rtng 87
shoot speed 10
thrust damage 36 pierce
max ammo 6
weapon length 80
accuracy 103
Bonus against Shield
Secondary Mode

we need also a real BONUS against Shield on throwing axe, in the medieval way, throwing axe are used to break shield before close combat...
In that way, throwing axe should have less stack and used especialy to break shield
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:19:20 am by Aesir »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:51 am »
I agree.

It's kinda silly the lowest tier board shields require at least 2 axes to break them.

Reduce stacksize of axes by 1, but increase the bonus vs shields and the accuracy a bit.

Would make me happy (I use balanced heavy throwing axes).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)