Author Topic: [Community discussion] What can be improved on Strategus  (Read 20747 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
[Community discussion] What can be improved on Strategus
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:32:47 pm »
+19
Hello everyone, I am still powerless all-mighty Strategus developer Butan.

I wanted to start discussions about what kind of changes could be made on Strategus for a few weeks now, but I wanted a forum rank to make it more legit and Dupre gave it to me yesterday so here we go  :D
(click to show/hide)
As some know I have been prompted to join a strategus team that is made of me and Chy. Chy is the coder behind the STB add-on, I merely think of stuff and greatly enjoy the game even in his current form. I am sick like that.

I wanted to ask you what can be made to improve Strategus? At the same time I wanted to introduce myself and tell you my own answer to that question!

First, there is what the Strategus Tool Belt add-on was made for: heavily modify the UI
=> all the interface interactions that are used to properly run a faction, manage the fiefs and economy, run battles and wars or do lonewolf shit

(click to show/hide)

Second, but most important thing about the current Strategus: make in-game Strategus battles easier to manage for the factions, more interesting to join for the mercs
=> the Strategus battle application system itself needs to change so that battles are naturally balanced roster-size-wise, more rewarding for people to join and follow the flow

(click to show/hide)

Third, actual changes to Strategus mechanics: giving more options, modifying current ones
=> some things are good, but could be better; some things make no sense, and need to go; some things arent there, we could make it...

(click to show/hide)

There is probably a lot of stuff that in the end wont make it due to technical limitations, or simply because they are bad ideas in the end, and some other stuff might pop later and make it in.
There is also the real question of whether to implement all changes live in strat round 6 (and fuck up balance), or some of it, or none and wait for a new round?

I know some might see this thread as useless and strategus as dead forever, especially given the current circumstances, but I have faith, patience, time and a cooperative coder partner so lets go.

Offline hellou

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: [Community discussion] What can be improved on Strategus
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:50:13 pm »
No arms no battle.
No battles with less than (lets say) 500 men. So if you jihadharemqueenloveinside with only 60 men you should not be able to attack anyone.
One side has armed big army other side no = auto win.

Many trade activities add SD not take it away, thats how real market works or maybe you have played europa unversalis or such, so you may understand that trade add more trade not make less.

AI fiefs need better arms.
Mercenaries should get paid better, get more xp.
Big battles in prime time (means atleast 500 vs 500 armed armies).

pogosan

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »
+10
Strat battles need to give strat ticks and you collect crpg gold by playing - would hugely increase the willingness fr people to leave battle servers and play.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:25:32 pm »
+10
REVEAL FORMULA FOR OBTAINING PROSPERITY POINTS
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:38:10 pm »
+1
I want to speak about raid gamemode.

Firstly I am aware Merc limits are dependant on troop amounts, though I am not sure if there are different limitations for Raid mode. If there isn't, Raid mode Merc cap should be around 20, instead of 50. The reason I find this reasonable is because factions that would use "raid" as a battle method would be small factions/clans with not too many allies. Logically speaking, you can't expect villagers to outnumber raiding parties by 2-3 times.
After a raid is won, attackers should have access (except production points) to the fief's administration for x amount of time after the battle.OR they should be able to loot the silver inside + everyone hiding inside the fief gets kicked out.
I don't see the logic behind "only troops in the village fight" in raid gamemode, that only creates empty, unpleasant battles - by empty I mean really empty, if there are 0 troops inside the fief during a raid you don't even have to show up atm, they automatically lose-  instead all the troops + population should fight like in normal battles.If this + Merc cap idea gets implemented together, it will fix the unbalance problem greatly, 100-150 armed raid parties would be efficient enough to raid.
Also another good idea I had; If you retreat in a raid, you get to keep your remaining troops, reducing the risk taken when attempting to attack an armed fief.
When all those combined, raid can be a gamemode that can be efficient for small factions with roster problems, with different pros and cons to siege gamemode.

Apart from that, I think speed formula should be rewritten, different goods having different weights thus effecting the speed for example, even making it all (equipments etc included) weight based could increase the efficiency of lightly armed parties.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:41:48 pm by Kratos »

Offline Novamere

• Duke
  • Renown: 599
  • Infamy: 273
  • cRPG Player
  • Feed me your tears!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Knightmare_
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
Sounds great!!!

First we should fix prosperity haha

Offline GRANDMOM

• Marshall
  • Renown: 920
  • Infamy: 140
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GRANDMOM
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 08:42:15 pm »
+6

We're working on something cooler than a blog.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:55:41 pm »
+1
I also think XP/ticks should be increased by participating in strategus battles. "To what amount?" Is the real question, I think a fair minimum increase would be : +50% actual XP given, 1 strategus ticket every 3 minutes. Then tune it to a fine point after a while.
Gold given in strategus battles is another beast, you dont pay repairs so its essentially free gold, I dont know how big are the cRPG balancers about the gold economy but I think its something that need to be discussed a good while.
A possible compromise would be to use the reliability/performance formula to have a "mercenary paiement" automatically calculated in the form of cRPG gold or Strategus silver at the end of the battle, and automatically transfered in one go. The actual mercenary paiement of 1000 silver maximum is completely useless as it is, it could be retrofitted to something like that.

My greatest concern right now is mobile screen-friendly interface, because it takes me sometimes up to 10 minutes to move the map and check nearby fief's prosperity.

That would be kinda low on the priority list, but if the UI becomes neat then it should be fast and easy to make it mobile friendly.

- Make PP gain consistently happen every day the way it's meant to, perhaps at a designated time.

I dont even know why PP is so bugged, its the case for a few rounds now aint it? Is definitely there on the list with the dupe bug.
Even though I had an alternative to how PP works today, and make it so that each fiefs type starts with an arbitrary maximum amount of PP.
For example, a village would have 300 PP max, a castle 700, a city 1500, and it cannot go up from there. When someone resets, it is instantaneous, all PP are gone for a week, and then everything comes back and you can invest it again. But thats a pretty big change that could make the end game really interesting, or pretty stale.

If no big changes are planned, it will be just fix and tweaks.

- Make 'retreat' save troops, but not gear.

Probably something a bit more convoluted, but it would indeed change what retreats cost, while keeping in mind that it needs to not be exploitable.

- In Dupre's changelog he mentioned the distance multiplier for trade goods would increase, i have not see this to be the case yet. Might make things easier.

I dont think the actual trade formula is bad, but I would make it public and display it on the map accordingly. Maybe an increase but it depends on every other factor, no need to increase overall money output if the economy works as is.

Prosperity is bugged too?

If there isn't, Raid mode Merc cap should be around 20, instead of 50. The reason I find this reasonable is because factions that would use "raid" as a battle method would be small factions/clans with not too many allies.

If I can tweak how battles work, roster will become non-problematic, so raid will probably be only changed around why would people do it, rather than make it possible for small factions, because small factions should be able to do everything the big ones can in the future.

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 10:43:24 pm »
Prosperity is bugged too?
since year 2014 mb +- year

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 11:00:54 pm »
+4
Small
  • Update the Strategus info on the forum. There's too many outdated threads stickied. Unstick old threads, create a new locked thread with official info and one player FAQ thread for the latest version of Strat.
  • Create official guides on c-rpg.net or a visual walkthrough tutorial. New players shouldn't have to sift through pages and pages of forum discussion to find info about game mechanics.

Medium
  • Make Strategus mobile friendly.
  • Full-screen viewing mode option to remove top and side bars when viewing the map on c-rpg.net

Large
  • Integrate all strategus related communication and drama into a separate forum on c-rpg.net. Maybe a job board for hiring freelance warriors who aren't in clans, a board for bounties on the heads of other players, etc
  • Give clans the option to set their diplomatic status, claims and policy for trade/travel in their territory on a map overlay that everyone can see.
  • Add banners to fiefs on the map

Xtra-Large

1. Rework titles and allow clans to unlock special titles if your clan controls certain fiefs, based on connected fiefs in Warband. If your clan controls multiple regions, unlock even more special titles on up to King or Emperor, which would be very hard to achieve.

For example, if your clan controls a castle and it's connected village then whoever owns the castle would gain the rank and title of Knight or Sir. If you control a town and it's connected villages you gain the rank of Baron. If your clan controls a castle and town in the same region then the title of Count is unlocked and could be assigned or taken away by rank 10 members. If you control all fiefs in a region then Duke is unlocked and so on.

Clans could have the option to change the title to reflect the language and culture of their faction so you would have the option to pick titles like Bey, Amir, Boyar, Czar ect.

2. Automatic regional discounts and +0 starting loom status on certain types of gear based on the terrain and type of fief. Desert regions have deep discounts on middle eastern themed gear, snow regions have the same for Nordic gear, the steppe would have cheap horses and bows. This would add a new layer of strategy to the game with the benefits of controlling certain areas and help add roleplay. Towns would have the most expensive gear discounted, castles would have medium gear and villages would have lower-tier gear. You still get all the normal points to spend on customizing fiefs but they would all start with certain gear discounted.

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 11:50:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)
too much work for nothing  :?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 05:38:11 pm »
+1
too much work for nothing  :?

Dont worry, I will not waste a single minute of your time behind this Vovka  :mrgreen:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 07:12:03 pm »
+2
Good luck trying to improve upon perfection  :lol:
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 07:43:22 pm »
Dont worry, I will not waste a single minute of your time behind this Vovka  :mrgreen:
u already wasted 1!