Author Topic: Recommend me an MMO  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Recommend me an MMO
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:12:32 am »
I've been looking for an interesting MMO for the past hour or so and can't find anything. Most of the available MMOs are either yet another WoW clones or are interesting but have paid subscriptions like EVE Online. Here are some preferred features:
1. Must be either free to play, or buy to play. That means all gameplay features are available without having to spend any more money. Cosmetic or social stuff that doesn't affect gameplay doesn't matter much to me though.
2. Simple, but solid mechanics. No unnecessary fillers or "sticked-on" features that only complicate the game.
3. PvE oriented. Most of the game should be possible to play solo. Also I don't mind grinding if there are fun ways to do it, like randomly generated dungeons and such.
4. Fun combat. Keep the number of buttons used to a minimum. That means having to spam hotkeys is out of the game.

Here are some MMOs that I've already tried:
TERA - liked it at first for the combat and chained skills, but it got repetitive pretty quickly. In most scenarios I would only use one skill combo over and over again, maybe sometimes dodging. Also there was just too much stuff later on and I felt overwhelmed by all the features.
Warframe - repetitive, it all comes down to "go in and kill everything".
Path of Exile - I don't remember the details but I quit pretty early on. I guess I jus't don't like hack'n'slash type games.
War Thunder - Takes too much grinding to progress and I ended up having millions of in-game money while still being stuck at low tiers. Also most of the time is spent on matchmaking and flying/driving into the actual battle, which lasts only a few minutes in Realistic or Simulator. Arcade is just boring.
Fallen Earth - Combat felt slow, clunky and unamusing.
Vindictus - I realised that besides the physics engine, the game really has not much to offer, just another typical MMORPG.
WoW - at some point I forced myself to play the trial and didn't play for even an hour. It's like the game expects you to know all the lore and mechanics, and everyone except you is already a pro. Other than that, I really couldn't find what makes it appeal to so many people.
Global Agenda - after finishing what I guess was the prologue, you're either left with only PvP or pay us monies to play the rest of the game lololololol.
Allods Online - keyboard spamming.
World of Tanks - pay to win.

There are also some minor games not worth mentioning. MOBAs are absolutely unacceptable.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me an MMO
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:44:00 am »
try Black Desert I'm sure you can get a key  if you are quick
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:03:22 am »
Might as well (re)play Dark Souls.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 11:52:54 am »
naval action seems fun, at least i enjoy it
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 02:40:40 pm »
how is world of tanks even remotely pay to win?

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 02:51:08 pm »
how is world of tanks even remotely pay to win?
Gold ammo. It is plain better than regular ammo, gives you a huge advantage and you can't go around with a full loadout of it... unless you pay for it.

If you want something like WoT, but not pay2win, try Armored Warfare. World of Warships is also nice and far less pay2win.

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 03:06:04 pm »
+2
I love Lotro, its the only MMORPG I play atm and the only one since 5 years.

Obviously its only really good if you like the books and the lore, thats basically 50% of the game.

It was published 2007 so mechanics and graphics are a bit oldschool, athough still very good and complex. (imo much better than WoW)

Its officially f2p and technically playable without spending money, but actually you have to buy regions (they are open, but no quests) at lvl 35+ with ingame coins (farming or buying) to get new areas, or turn VIP (basically like WoW game cards)

I can recommend it (esp Laurelin as a well populated RP server) if you like Lotr, community overall is very nice and helpfull.
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 05:12:25 pm »
Age of Conan. It still has a shitload of bugs and it doesn't have the best balance in PvP, but it's still a hell of a fun game. The combat system and the fatalities are just priceless.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:06:48 pm »
Your requirements are really vague. I would say try Black Desert, not much else out atm that is worth playing. Maybe you would fancy Haven&Hearth though, pure sandbox mmo, pretty much free.

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:10:21 pm »
Guild Wars 2, nothing beats a Zerg fight

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »
Black Desert looks very promising and refreshing but I can't be bothered with looking for CBT keys and 30 Yuro is a bit too much, at least for now.
Guild Wars 2 also looks fun, but it seems too PvP oriented and kinda resembles a MOBA with it's tryhard community.
Ultimately I got back to playing Path of Exile and it's not that great but at least I can pass the time somehow.
Elite Dangerous is tempting, but people complain that it's boring, empty and repetitive. I'll hold back with spending 50 Yuros until maybe something changes.
Right now I feel like playing some classic, trashy Korean MMO so if you know anything worth giving a try, post them here.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2695
  • Infamy: 2371
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 03:10:50 am »
Wildstar maybe

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 06:05:14 am »
Skyforge
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibes

• Count
  • Renown: 150
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 08:29:19 am »
Heroes and Generals. A bit grindy if you hoping to get the later stages items, but the progression is quite nice. Biggest flaw is the probably the lack of maps.

Due to some older players using fully-modded 1shot rifles and very heavy tanks it may appear like pay2win, but it actually isnt, that much. Theres plenty of counters and the grind to get one yourself isnt that massive.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 09:21:05 am »
Heroes and Generals.

absurd p2w shitshow
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!