Thoughts

Disable blocking on all lances
16 (32%)
Enable blocking on all lances
16 (32%)
There should be no change from the current setup
18 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Either enable blocking on all lances, or disable on all  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Either enable blocking on all lances, or disable on all
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »
Most of you are unaware, but the couching only lances are unable to block even though it does not list it as such on the website. This gives poking lances a huge advantage. Either enable blocking on all lances, or disable on all.

:edit: there seems to be some confusion, so let me clarify

Lances that can only be used for couching, cannot be used to manual block. This means that a jousting lance cannot block an incoming attack, while a heavy lance can.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:35:21 am by Seawied »
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Re: Either enable blocking on all lances, or disable on all
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »
Yes, that seems fair.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »
i would leave everything as it is now, but add that great lance (and jousting lance) can couch inffinetly long and from any speed(of course the lower speed lower damage)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:02:54 pm »
i would leave everything as it is now, but add that great lance (and jousting lance) can couch inffinetly long and from any speed(of course the lower speed lower damage)

To the infinite couch length: No. That would neither be realistic or balanced. There's a reason why this was changed from M&B.

For the couching at any speed: maybe.

What should occur though is that the cooldown timer should be reduced on couching. Couching has a much more limited reach than poking (or any other attack animation wise,) and should not be punished over more powerful and faster recovering lance-pokes.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:41:04 pm »
Most of you are unaware, but the couching only lances are unable to block even though it does not list it as such on the website. This gives poking lances a huge advantage. Either enable blocking on all lances, or disable on all.

Cant you block if you have a shield?

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 03:10:31 am »
All lances should only be couchable (the shorter the lance the longer you can couch)........alternative suggestion from someone else. Sorry, dont know who posted so i cant give you credit.

Their idea was making the lances have health and will break after so many attacks. I really like this other idea as its more realistic and definitely game balancing.

My contribution to the awesome idea:
The lances "break" but can still be used, however they no longer do pierce damage. Instead a little bit of blunt damage. This way you can still thrust stab opponents but it doesn't do much, but if you couch you'll still 1shot most folks.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 06:02:51 am »
Cant you block if you have a shield?

you can, but I am talking about the lance itself.

All lances should only be couchable (the shorter the lance the longer you can couch)........alternative suggestion from someone else. Sorry, dont know who posted so i cant give you credit.

Their idea was making the lances have health and will break after so many attacks. I really like this other idea as its more realistic and definitely game balancing.

My contribution to the awesome idea:
The lances "break" but can still be used, however they no longer do pierce damage. Instead a little bit of blunt damage. This way you can still thrust stab opponents but it doesn't do much, but if you couch you'll still 1shot most folks.

You know, these are some interesting ideas, but they don't really pertain to the immediate topic at hand. I'm tempted to make a different thread discussing ways to make either couch lancing more attractive, or poke-lancing less attractive.  Currently poke-lancing is much stronger and less risky.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:05:15 am by Seawied »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:31:27 am »
What are you talking about? That you can't block a couched lance? Or that while in melee, you cant block an attack with your lance?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:51 am »
the couch only lances (jousting/greatlance) cannot be used to block.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:18 am »
the couch only lances (jousting/greatlance) cannot be used to block.

Yeah, that's pretty silly.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:06:08 pm »
To the infinite couch length: No. That would neither be realistic or balanced. There's a reason why this was changed from M&B.

For the couching at any speed: maybe.

How would it be unrealistic?

The reason it was changed in Warband was because the Great Lance could also thrust. In exchange for being able the thrust, they decided it could only couch for so long. But since the Great Lance has no thrust in cRPG, it should be returned to infinite couching at speed.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:32:06 am »
First things first: you could thrust a great lance in the original M&B.

And secondly: no, unless you were superman you would not be able to hold a lance out for very long. The weight of the weapon, or more precisely, the balance of the weapon made lances very unwieldy. Unlike a sword, which has its weight evenly distributed between the blade and the hilt, a lance was not designed to be balanced.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

And secondly: no, unless you were superman you would not be able to hold a lance out for very long. The weight of the weapon, or more precisely, the balance of the weapon made lances very unwieldy. Unlike a sword, which has its weight evenly distributed between the blade and the hilt, a lance was not designed to be balanced.
Couching gives it balance.Reason of couching is to be able to hold 3 - 4 meter long lances with a straight line.
I think current couch system is good .Everything don't have to be realistic .It is a game for fun not a nerdly LARP event.
I do not agree with "Make all lances couch only" also since the longest lance = 190 cm and longest weapon on foot =300 cm.Considering a lancer loses like a 80-100 cm while couching cuz of the horses reach it would be nearly impossible to play as a lancer.
I think current system is fine.
Disabling block is also fail because when in real life you can carry a lance , a main weapon (2hander) and a shield because you can put your sword or lance on your horse.If you make lances no block,polearm cav builds will fail on horse.(No block on horse cuz lance got 2slots so as any polearm better than staff means no shield.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:43:33 pm by koyama »

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 09:49:00 am »

Please leave real world examples out of video game mechanics.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:01 pm »
Couching gives it balance.Reason of couching is to be able to hold 3 - 4 meter long lances with a straight line.
I'm not going to say much more on the matter because I don't want this to become a history fap. Couching did not balance the lance. In history, a knight would ride towards the enemy, slowly dropping his lance tip and slowly aiming it to its target. A second or two before impact, the lance is level and honed in on the target. The reason this is done so close before impact is because of the difficulty to perform such a feat. There's a few great videos out there on the web that demonstrate this. Take a look at some competitive jousting competition (none of that renaissance shit!) and look at the series "Weapons that made Britain"'s impact combat episode.

I think current couch system is good .Everything don't have to be realistic .It is a game for fun not a nerdly LARP event.
I do not agree with "Make all lances couch only" also since the longest lance = 190 cm and longest weapon on foot =300 cm.Considering a lancer loses like a 80-100 cm while couching cuz of the horses reach it would be nearly impossible to play as a lancer.
I agree. Also, the animation of couching reduces the weapon's effective reach as well. Couching is considerably more risky than poking because of this.
I think current system is fine.
Disabling block is also fail because when in real life you can carry a lance , a main weapon (2hander) and a shield because you can put your sword or lance on your horse.If you make lances no block,polearm cav builds will fail on horse.(No block on horse cuz lance got 2slots so as any polearm better than staff means no shield.)

This is one potential drawback of disabling on all. I'm on the fence on either to say "blocking on all lances!" and give lancers a buff, or to say "no blocking on lances!" and give them a nerf. The current system of the superior lances (like the heavy lance) does need to be changed in some way though for internal balance among lancers.

Please leave real world examples out of video game mechanics.
Some real world examples are fine -- so long as it takes a backseat to entertainment and balance. If entertainment and balance can be achieved through a realistic way and an unrealistic way, the realistic way should be implemented. That said, I don't want this thread to become a giant history fap.