Author Topic: Anyone with some computer knowledge that can help?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Anyone with some computer knowledge that can help?
« on: October 23, 2015, 02:22:42 pm »
So after trying to fix my Rocket league problem, it crashing my gpu without putting any sort of strain on it (gtx670), it finally caused something much worse than simple crashes.

As mentioned in the rocket league thread
(click to show/hide)

I was stupid enough to continue trying to fix it. Now i get artifacts on bootup, when booted i get gpu crash>computer restarts etc. I managed to boot safe mode, disable GPU to stop the crashing. Even with GPU disabled i get artifacts on bootup etc, so what causes it? Is my power supply failing? Should i attempt to oven my GPU?

Im honestly amazed a game could fuck my computer up, and yes its the only possibility because ive played far more straining games than rocket league, and i even put rocket league to minimum graphics.

Any sort of help would be appreciated, untill then i will have to attempt to beat Dungeon crawl stone soup. So far im considering handing in my computer somewhere to see if professionals can fix it, but at the moment it seems excessive if i can possibly fix it on my own.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Anyone with some computer knowledge that can help?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:30:42 pm »
I have heard about problems like intense coil whine in menus because the GPU pulls off 999999999999999999999999 frames, but this is a first for me.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:20:34 pm »
+2
Describe the artefacts a bit more. Maybe take a mobile pic and post it?

Artefacts are always bad... like "something is broken" bad... :|
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 04:24:14 pm »
What did you do to try and fix it?

Are your drivers up to date?

Describe the artefacts a bit more. Maybe take a mobile pic and post it?

Artefacts are always bad... like "something is broken" bad... :|

And this.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:50:39 pm »
Horizontal stripes randomly scattered across my screen. White and black colored.

What ive tried is completely removing and re-installing drivers, disabled GPU, downclocked it slightly when on. Still the artifacts are on screen even with disabled GPU so with my nearly nonexistant knowledge of computers im assuming the powersupply might be the cause? And when enabling the gpu it simply doesnt get enough power and so computer reboots etc. Booted in safe mode too, have yet to restore pc to previous point, but by the looks of it, that wont do jack shit. Something has taken a beating and needs replacing.

Googling the issue on rocket league not working gave me someone saying that rocketleagu tries to make a ton of connections constantly which demands a huge amount of power, and with a certain program that some motherboards have you could put its network to low prio to fix the crashing issue. If this is true (not sure how logical it is, apparently it fixed his game) then me not having lowered it might have put a huge toll on my power supply and rekt it.

edit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3derjh/rocket_league_killed_2_of_my_gaming_rigs/

Heres the link to another guy who seems to have a similar problem.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:03:34 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 06:15:35 pm »
Oh shit

A VGA crapped itself once here, I had vertical yellow lines all over the screen. That was the VRAM and it got burned out.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:19:34 pm »
Oh shit

A VGA crapped itself once here, I had vertical yellow lines all over the screen. That was the VRAM and it got burned out.

I guess the vram could be responsible, but then it still doesnt make sense that the artifacts occur even with gpu disabled.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:23:30 pm »
Well.

Easiest way would be to.. but you would have done it anyway.. you know, replaceable parts to find out what's wrong.

If you suspect the PSU, we need one to try. A working video card no matter how crappy could be useful.

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »
+1
I had a brand new GPU popped due to bitcoin farming, before it died my screen would have feint black and grey horizontal lines.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 06:28:10 pm »
Yeah, that's it pretty much.

Lines all over the screen are either VGA or Monitor problems.

This damage could be on multiple levels though, I won't deny that.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 06:29:26 pm »
I guess the vram could be responsible, but then it still doesnt make sense that the artifacts occur even with gpu disabled.
By GPU disabled, you mean that you're running off the integrated GPU of an Intel CPU/mobo?
Or disabling the hardware acceleration?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 06:33:41 pm »
Well.

Easiest way would be to.. but you would have done it anyway.. you know, replaceable parts to find out what's wrong.

If you suspect the PSU, we need one to try. A working video card no matter how crappy could be useful.

I may have a gtx560ti laying around, and possibly a huge psu aswell unless it has been thrown out after gathering dust for a long time. (Wouldve used it but it didnt fit my case)

Im insanely lazy so before i crack open my computer i will first have get something thats a bigger hazzle to be put on my to do list. Also chances are ill forget how things were, or i will simply fuck things up further.

By GPU disabled, you mean that you're running off the integrated GPU of an Intel CPU/mobo?
Or disabling the hardware acceleration?

Booted safe mode and in device manager i disabled my gpu, so i think im running on mobo thingy.

GPU or no, im still able to play stone soup and god its fun.
You reach out to hit something. You heal something. Xom thinks its hilarious.
Based Xom.

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 06:36:19 pm »
My problem was due to ESEA putting a bitcoin farmer in their client which burned out my gpu, luckily they paid to have it replaced. But i've also heard of some background effects on main menus that are poorly optimized overheating GPU's. There was a serious problem with the background ember effects on the main menu of Dota 2 that apparently fried and overheated people's GPU's during the beta because they were poorly optimized, so I guess it's possible even from a non demanding game to have some kind of feature with poor optimization. 

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 06:38:15 pm »
+2
I may have a gtx560ti laying around, and possibly a huge psu aswell unless it has been thrown out after gathering dust for a long time. (Wouldve used it but it didnt fit my case)

Im insanely lazy so before i crack open my computer i will first have get something thats a bigger hazzle to be put on my to do list. Also chances are ill forget how things were, or i will simply fuck things up further.

Booted safe mode and in device manager i disabled my gpu, so i think im running on mobo thingy.

GPU or no, im still able to play stone soup and god its fun.
You reach out to hit something. You heal something. Xom thinks its hilarious.
Based Xom.

Just take the gpu out and run it from the onboard graphics, if there's no lines then it's the GPU.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 06:38:39 pm »
My problem was due to ESEA putting a bitcoin farmer in their client which burned out my gpu, luckily they paid to have it replaced. But i've also heard of some background effects on main menus that are poorly optimized overheating GPU's. There was a serious problem with the background ember effects on the main menu of Dota 2 that apparently fried and overheated people's GPU's during the beta because they were poorly optimized, so I guess it's possible even from a non demanding game to have poor optimization.

The main menu is what fried peoples PS4's earlier, so that was a thing. But as ive mentioned, no strain was put on my GPU when i monitored it while playing. Everything was at its lowest, both in menu and in game.

Just take the gpu out and run it from the onboard graphics, if there's no lines then it's the GPU.

If i have it disabled in device manager, is it still used for things? Ill try removing it, but it shouldnt be active atm anyways.