Author Topic: Cryonics and cheating death  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Cryonics and cheating death
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 01:27:13 pm »
The same reason Europe is accepting refugees right now? Societies have only gotten kinder with time.
Helping refugees has a small element of reciprocity and it deals with live human beings, while those that have already passed away won't be insulted or look sad in pictures in the press because we didn't revive them. It would purely be a favour to them that they themselves never considered, and of which they would never be able to acknowledge the denial.

Not that it matters, Medieval people could pump their money into their soul instead of cryonics, so they are chilling up in heaven.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:40 am »
You're more likely to get reciprocity from people who could afford and who thought to get themselves frozen than from a bunch of "refugees" with no education.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 04:33:47 am »
http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/03/cryonics.html

A very good article on cryonics.

As for the September conversation,
"Why would future civilizations bother to revive me?"  (Requires understanding either economic growth diminishing the cost, or knowledge of history and how societies have become kinder over time, or knowing about Friendly AI.)

Also consider what would happen if there were 10,000 people, right now, who could be brought back to life as new breakthroughs in science are made. It'd get massive media attention, and unless the cost was billions and billions per person, they would get revived, guaranteed.

And if that doesn't convince you, refer to the second paragraph in the article I linked.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:01 am »
It's $700 per year + $200,000 that you could have used during your lifetime.

Against the freezing process not being too destructive + the vendor not suffering a takeover or a bankruptcy + no natural disasters in the area + the future people restoring you and being friendly.

For some more life.

I wouldn't say that you shouldn't do it, it's your time and money after all. But I also wouldn't call it obvious that you should invest in it. Though I guess the whole thing is more about hope.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 07:51:11 am »
+2
Freezing? Thats retarded. Copy my brain into a sexy nip trap robot.

Or is there an option to just freeze my dick?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 07:56:20 am »
It's $700 per year + $200,000 that you could have used during your lifetime.

Against the freezing process not being too destructive + the vendor not suffering a takeover or a bankruptcy + no natural disasters in the area + the future people restoring you and being friendly.

For some more life.

I wouldn't say that you shouldn't do it, it's your time and money after all. But I also wouldn't call it obvious that you should invest in it. Though I guess the whole thing is more about hope.
You mean it's 700 per year so you can live a lot longer.

It's known that the "freezing" process is not too destructive. It's clear you didn't read the article, it'd clear up your misconceptions.

You'll find that there's nothing more valuable than "some more life" when you don't have much of it left. It's easy to scoff at it in your twenties when you expect to live forever. Creeping sense of mortality comes later.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:19 am »
It's known that the "freezing" process is not too destructive. It's clear you didn't read the article, it'd clear up your misconceptions.

Can you point me to the relevant part, especially if there's anything on the neurological effects of it? It's a little long winded at roughly 15k words and I simply have no intention of reading it all.

The closest I found was this:

In other words, it’s reasonable to assume that the fanciest future neuroscientists will become so good at reading a damaged vitrified brain for clues as to its original structure that a typical combo of aging, disease, heart stoppage, and vitrification likely won’t be able to “stump” them. And to cryonicists, if future scientists can examine your vitrified brain and figure out what it’s supposed to look like, you’re not dead—by definition.

And I didn't find it terribly convincing. It sounds a lot more like rebuilding something that resembles the baseline human mental apparatus than resurrecting you.

You mean it's 700 per year so you can live a lot longer. It's easy to scoff at it in your twenties when you expect to live forever. Creeping sense of mortality comes later.

You'll find that there's nothing more valuable than "some more life" when you don't have much of it left.

Possibly, yes. True.

On your deathbed, who wouldn't take the chance for some more life? But this is not something you just decide to go at on your deathbed, but something that you pay by having decreased quality of life during your absolute lifetime. And it's a long shot.

Not stupid but far, far from certain.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 08:59:04 am »
I'm not going to hold your hand and spell it out for you. Read it if you're interested, don't if you're not. If you refuse to get educated, then perhaps you should also refrain from commenting out of ignorance.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 09:14:48 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

No thanks.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 09:25:37 am »
Define "not too destructive".

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 09:54:15 am »
Define "not too destructive".
No thanks.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:29 am »
Are you asking me or Xant?

How much of your memories and personality would survive the process? Would you think of someone with 20% of your memories, you? The acceptable level of destructiveness in this sense is up to the individual to decide.
I'm sure we'll be able to simulate and fix minds with crutch-like fake memories at some point, but the question of identity remains.

Neurologically, is it possible to get something meaningful out of brain matter altered this way or is the process actually too destructive for it to happen at all? How good is the current preservation process.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:57 am »
+1
Actually, if you read the article (and the linked sources), it is clear that the current process is far from what might be considered good enough for brain preservation.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 10:31:15 am »
Are you asking me or Xant?

How much of your memories and personality would survive the process? Would you think of someone with 20% of your memories, you? The acceptable level of destructiveness in this sense is up to the individual to decide.
I'm sure we'll be able to simulate and fix minds with crutch-like fake memories at some point, but the question of identity remains.

Neurologically, is it possible to get something meaningful out of brain matter altered this way or is the process actually too destructive for it to happen at all? How good is the current preservation process.
Keep on talking out of ignorance instead of reading the article. Keeps your fingers warm, I suppose.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Renay

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Every Clan, but mostly Ninja!
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Renay
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 10:44:43 am »
+1
Dear god, I could reach level 39 with this technology. Thanks for making me aware, Xant!
Blackbow is a bad admin,he once told me sandfriend It broked all my desire from the game/forums,i felt devastated,horrible don't know how to fix it.