Author Topic: Context is Key  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
Context is Key
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:39 am »
+4
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Context is Key
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:06:52 am »
+1
I only read the description since I have no sound at work, but doesn't a normal person already know that the bible/religion is horseshit anyway? What more can we discuss about this. All religion is trying to do is keep a steady high level of retardation among the populace since nowadays they can't fight science anymore, or work actively to stop its progress like they did in the past.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:30:28 am by Vibe »

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:09 am »
religion for sheeps

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:36:56 am »
+3
I am on the internet, I know best.

I am a 12+ yr old male with a very similar upbringing to all the 12+ yr old males on the internet, therefore everyone I meet has a similar view to me. And because all the other 12+ yr old males I meet online think religion is stupid therefore we must be the majority IRL and everyone knows that my particular outlook on life is the correct one, therefore i'll continue to cram it down your throats like an arrogant 18th Century Pastor.

are you trying to be a fucking hipster or something

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:03 am »
+3
Heskey thinks religious people are victims of pointless and vicious verbal agression by ignorant dogmatists. i.e He's a dumb, ignorant piece of shit bundle of sticks with a completely reversed perspective of the real world.

This stupid cunt thinks anti-theism is something that is encouraged and mainstream, that there are important institutions and organizations devoted to promoting and defending this point of view while attacking all others, that they supposedly have more power and influence than religious organizations.  Then this moron insinuates that the only reason there are people who reach these conclusions is because of propaganda and upbringing, that indoctrination and rote repitition of dogma is the source of all these blindly fanatical atheists. It's just projection. Sooo much projection. It's the apologist's way of equivocating the entrenched and meaningless dogma of religion with anti-religious thought, that it is all the same propaganda anyways, just different flavours.

For example, Heskey knows literally nothing about my life, yet he's convinced I grew up in a anti-theist environment and that my exposure to this hypothetical anti-theist culture is the only reason I think the way I do. Couldnt POSSIBLY be exposure to theism itself that did it, of course not. That doesn't fit Heskey's retarded fucking narrative. I was clearly raised from my youngest age to be this way, Nietzche and Hitchens books in the crib, a big atheist symbol hanging over it, sunday school lessons about how organized religion is a lie. Exposure to other theistic systems as I grew up, reading more of history and various organized religions's roles it, observing the power concentrations and conflict thereof all over the planet, the tribalism inherent in religious collectives, that couldn't posssssssiiiiibbbly have any sort of effect whatsoever. I obviously just "hate" religion because it's trendy, and do so with no more depth than a rain puddle, with nothing more than superficial talking points learned by rote from anti-religious "prophets".

TL;DR: It's the "I know you are, but what am I?" of arguements when it comes to theism/anti-theist debates.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:55:46 am by Oberyn »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:07:38 pm »
+5
I am 12+ yr old male who grew up in a very christian family and I went to church weekly till I was fucking 17. Religion is stupid and the quicker we eradicate it through sheer force of education the better. My upbringing was full of sheltered indoctrination and my parents still manage to not know shit about any alternate viewpoints, yet I manage to reach the same conclusions as Heskey's imagined atheism poster boy.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:23:19 pm »
You can't "eradicate" an idea and trying to do so usually just provokes backlash. What we can do, and had been doing for a few centuries, was limit the material/political power of religions, specifically christianity in the west, it being the dominant one. We're a lot more reticent when it comes to a certain "foreign" religion, nevermind that they are practically the two most similar religions on the planet in origin and practice.
I don't give a fuck if muslims want to fast during Ramadan. What I care about are the "muslims" who couldn't give a fuck either way but are forced into it by various tribal social mechanisms. You don't think there is onerous social pressure to conform to these pointless rituals? What do you think the purpose of them are? Can you imagine the reaction if christians were shamed, blackmailed and even threatened with violence if they did not observe Lent? 

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »
+3
It's just boring to hate on the Bible. Easy target, no challenge. Even if you do find a religious person to argue with, what's the point? Anyone capable of rational, logical discussion wouldn't be a theist in the first place.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »
+1
First one to hate on the Hindus or/and Vedas texts wins 20k

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:17:00 pm »
Is something 'mainstream' if only a small section of the population thinks it?

It's about as revolutionary to say 'religion sux' on an online computer game forum as it is to say 'God is good' in a church.

fuck off i can hate on religion anywhere i want
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:20:06 pm by Vibe »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 01:23:39 pm »
Same, and i'm an atheist, but what's the point in trying to cram your own religious views down other people's throats 'by force of education', or more to the point what is the academic benefit in trying to make your noble 'religion sux' stand on a forum where 99% of people reading and posting here are atheists?
When I say "eradicate through sheer force of education" I simply mean that nobody should be able to avoid getting taught a clear atheist worldview, something which my upbringing still managed to do.

Vibe was exactly pointing out that posting a 6 minute video demonstrating that context cannot save the bible is a bit of a waste on a mostly atheistic forum, and that discussing it is a pointless affair as we all agree.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 02:03:05 pm »
+1
If I was trying to convince anyone of anything I wouldn't be deliberately offensive. I'm not proselytizing or trying to "deconvert" people who have no interest in it in the first place. I'm venting and ranting, the same way I do on ... just about any subject on these forums. I guess the stream of curse words and insults weren't enough of a hint, I should step it up.

You know, merely speaking of organized religion in a critical manner isn't a theological position in itself. Most of my criticism is reserved directly for real world political and cultural effects of religious dogma, not the dogma itself. Although I have routinely mocked that as well, usually for provocation. Organized religions in themselves aren't inherently despicable, (although I challenge you to find any of the big 3 abrahamics that don't encourage objectively fucked up moral and social norms from a modern western perspective in their holy books) but the effects it has on collectives often are. I'm sorry if pointing this out offends people, but I feel confident with thousands of years of recorded history backing my conclusions, as if present day reality wasn't enough. I don't feel the need of anyone's approval to "believe" that organized religions have been throughout history a source of tribal centralization, a more sophisticated way of deciding who was part of the "tribe" and who was "other" than just blood relation and marriage, a political system, used and abused by the powerful to their own, very material ends. And over time religions become inextricably linked to other tribal markers (for those don't already start that way), ethnicity, local customs predating the religion if it was non-native, language, different political systems, different economic systems dictated by geography, etc. They schism and fragment as the one unique interpretation becomes many, as seen from different eyes that have lived different things under different circumstances. I don't take the revealed "truths" of organised religions seriously because there have been hundreds of millions of people throughout tens of thousands of years that have all lived and died and often killed each other all believing in a baffling variety of different ones, all just as utterly convinced it was the only. I don't make any particular judgements on the nature and existence of God, I don't have enough evidence. I have enough evidence to believe organised religions are largely political and tribal systems "true".

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 02:06:27 pm »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:40:58 pm »
+1
First one to hate on the Hindus or/and Vedas texts wins 20k
Man, fucking Hindus. There are a few Hindu cults over here, run by various shady people. I read a few articles of people attending events in these cults - they basically get drugged up by drinking some spiked alcohol thing, then "rave" to eastern religious music, etc, all the while being brainwashed. Afterwards, they believe that this cult is somehow saving their lives and become addicts, shelling out big cash to remain in those cults. Fucked up shit.

Also, i know that the whole eastern thing was trendy like a decade or two ago, all that hindu/buddhist shit. One of the festivals i used to attend had a small Hindu corner near the chillout zones (ya know, because somehow Hindu shit is somehow related to psy electronic music and such). Went there out of curiosity... was the exact same religious nonsense as you would expect from some hardcore christian nuts.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 03:14:11 pm »
As for Vibe's opening salvo
Since atheists are still very much a minority I suppose a 'normal' person does not think religion is horseshit. You fucking hipster, trying to avoid the mainstream by being a cool atheist? Wear a fedora and share your half-baked musings about the cosmos?

I can share a lot of fully baked, crusty and delicious shit about cosmos, but I'd rather just fucking slap you right now.